Extended warranty=LOOK OUT!

Status
Not open for further replies.
so they denied her WATER PUMP replacement because she didnt have receipts from a business changing her oil every 5month/5000 miles?

ugh

Consumer Reports has said for years that extended warranties aren't worth what they costs, especially the ones pedaled on the internet or offers received through the mail.Those warranty companies come and go and aren't geared toward repairing anything, only collecting the high premiums. Be especially careful of any warranty companies located in Florida. That seems to be a haven for scam artists. I get urgent letters all the time informing me that the warranty on my 04 Camry is about to or has expired. Most of them won't even let you see what is covered and not covered. In reality , nothing is covered. A lesson well learned I would say. Regards

Not to change the subject, but:
Some day, people won't even own a personal car.
Thru your smart-phone you'll order a car service to pick you up.
Of coarse it will driver'less'.

Then we will no longer need big garages.
Or 'driveways' for that matter.

Sounds unfortunate, but they are not a scam. The issue is all about personal responsibility. it's really very simple, the warranty covers your vehicle for these repairs, all you have to do is get a warranty approved oil change at this interval and keep records. She didn't, hence the declination of the repair.
To bad she didn't read and follow the warranty requirements, it could have been a different outcome.
In my personal experience, every aftermarket or extended factory warranty here in Canada has the exact same requirements. Yes it can be a pain, but every warranty contract has rules. With how cheap a basic warranty oil change is, their really arent many excuses not to do it.
Not trying to be shallow here, but I get tired of people trying to chuck their own responsibilities and blame someone else.
She made the mistake, learn from it, get over it and move on.

To quote from the article:

"All in the Fine Print

An Interstate spokesman directed us to the contract, which states you must save every oil change receipt, and be able to prove the oil was changed every 5,000 miles.

In addition, those changes must be done by a commercial facility, not by a family member, something Henn says she had done a few times to save money.

"I've been able to have my husband do it, or my son do it," she said. But those money-saving home oil changes may have voided her warranty."

I have a friend who always buys those, so far I have never seen them cover anything. Ripoff.

And the woman in the article paid $3000! That would cover just about any repair. Duh.

John

My experience has been that even with the factory warranty, they will hit you up for unrelated things that are not covered by the warranty first. For an example, I knew I had an intermittent ignition switch problem. They insisted I needed a new battery first because it was a 650 CCA battery and it only tested at 500 CCA on their expensive machine. I called their bluff and told them to quit screwing around and replace the $#%^& ignition switch which was still covered under warranty. I had zero ignition issues since and used the same battery for 7 years, and replaced it then only because it was so old, not because of any failure. Still using the old battery to start a lawnmower.

Originally Posted By: Roob
Sounds unfortunate, but they are not a scam.
I think it would be more accurate to say they are not ALL a scam, but most of the ones advertised on TV are. One was even covered on the show American Greed.

Originally Posted By: RF Overlord
Originally Posted By: Roob
Sounds unfortunate, but they are not a scam.
I think it would be more accurate to say they are not ALL a scam, but most of the ones advertised on TV are. One was even covered on the show American Greed.

Agreed. Thanks for the correction.

Originally Posted By: pcoxe
My experience has been that even with the factory warranty, they will hit you up for unrelated things that are not covered by the warranty first. For an example, I knew I had an intermittent ignition switch problem. They insisted I needed a new battery first because it was a 650 CCA battery and it only tested at 500 CCA on their expensive machine. I called their bluff and told them to quit screwing around and replace the $#%^& ignition switch which was still covered under warranty. I had zero ignition issues since and used the same battery for 7 years, and replaced it then only because it was so old, not because of any failure. Still using the old battery to start a lawnmower.

Or the mechanic could have been following a proper pinpoint test, which they are required to do in order to ensure that the manufacturer pays the shop.

Just had a female friend buy a used Caravan yesterday. She bought the whole package. Extended warranty, paint sealant, interior protection ect.

I did not even ask what she paid.....it would have been too painful for me to know.

Just put the money you would otherwise pay in an account. Then when you need expensive repairs you will have real money to use.

Quote:
Interstate National Dealers Services, the company that administers Henn's warranty, has 300 recent complaints at the Better Business Bureau.

But the BBB gives the company an A rating , because it clearly spells out the rules in the contract, no matter how tough those rules may be. The company in this case appears to have done nothing wrong.

I remember when a good rating with the BBB meant something.

If the woman in question had claimed work that related in any way to keeping the oil chnaged and having it done commercially, you'd have a point.
In this case, the failure she made claim for had nada to do with whether the oil had ever been changed by anyone.
That's the scam aspect.
I'd love to see someone make the argument that the failure to have oil changes done commercially caused the water pump to fail while they kecpt a straight face.

I dunno...I would trust the USAA extended warranty, but it sure as heck isn't cheap. For a long time I thought the ford esp warranties bought through the internet discounters where pretty reasonable, but the one I bought has gone up 25%.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
If the woman in question had claimed work that related in any way to keeping the oil chnaged and having it done commercially, you'd have a point.
In this case, the failure she made claim for had nada to do with whether the oil had ever been changed by anyone.
That's the scam aspect.
I'd love to see someone make the argument that the failure to have oil changes done commercially caused the water pump to fail while they kecpt a straight face.

That is exactly right, IMO.

Originally Posted By: oilboy123
Just had a female friend buy a used Caravan yesterday. She bought the whole package. Extended warranty, paint sealant, interior protection ect.

I did not even ask what she paid.....it would have been too painful for me to know.

Just put the money you would otherwise pay in an account. Then when you need expensive repairs you will have real money to use.

I did just buy a used car recently. The business manager went over all the options they had, the biggest was the extended warranty, but there was also a tire protection package, and yes all those paint sealant and interior protection packages. I declined it all, but I think had I opted for everything, the price would have been between 9-10k.

Technically not a scam, but... If it walks like a duck and it quacks like a duck...

They structure these things so people will naturally default on them. They know something like 1/2 of the people won't read the fine print. They know of those that do read the fine print 1/2 will fail to follow the fine print at some point. So they may have warranty claims 1/4 of the time. If they make the repair process burdensome to the customer and insist on shoddy, cheap repairs, 1/2 the remainder will balk at the repair. So now we're down to 1/8 of the time they have "honor" the warranty.

OK they may lose customers with their practices, but to them it's a big ocean, with lots of fishies.

(The above is just my opinion.)

Originally Posted By: Rick in PA
Technically not a scam, but... If it walks like a duck and it quacks like a duck...

They structure these things so people will naturally default on them. They know something like 1/2 of the people won't read the fine print. They know of those that do read the fine print 1/2 will fail to follow the fine print at some point. So they may have warranty claims 1/4 of the time. If they make the repair process burdensome to the customer and insist on shoddy, cheap repairs, 1/2 the remainder will balk at the repair. So now we're down to 1/8 of the time they have "honor" the warranty.

OK they may lose customers with their practices, but to them it's a big ocean, with lots of fishies.

(The above is just my opinion.)

Of course they can pay themselves big salaries and dividends, promptly pay claims, for alittle while then fold the company--basically a ponzi scheme. Unless they are really blatant and clueless, there's not a thing that will happen to them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back