Extended warranty=LOOK OUT!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unless the warranty is from the manufacture its not worth the paper its written on.

Having said that a lot of manufactures do offer options for extended warranties, and some are pretty good.

Last edited:
Not a scam as much as folks do not read the terms and conditions.

The only ones worth their salt are manufacturer backed ones. The rest good luck.

Originally Posted By: Vikas
In another news, water is wet.

We really don't need this to be happening as well. Not with everything else going on.

Extended warranties from 3rd parties have been scam for as long as they have been offered. Unfortunately, too many people fall for them regularly. If you have to have extended warranty, at least get it from the manufacturer.

Yes, now we will be hearing from whole bunch of people on "how they made out with the extended warranty!" stories.

Originally Posted By: larryinnewyork
Not to change the subject, but:
Some day, people won't even own a personal car.
Thru your smart-phone you'll order a car service to pick you up.
Of coarse it will driver'less'.

Then we will no longer need big garages.
Or 'driveways' for that matter.

This is what I am waiting for. It will be the only way to reach your destination when we reach "peak traffic." No amount of highway lanes or traffic signals will make peak traffic tolerable - from a personal or economic standpoint.

What makes 3rd party extended warranties more of a scam than any other form of insurance?

Sure I understand that many people don't read the terms and conditions or might have difficulty claiming, but isn't that the case with many forms of insurance?

I'd really like to know who are the worst companies because their profits must be sky high and I would think they would be great stock investments!

Btw, I don't buy extended warranties and tend to have insurance only for worse case outcomes and with high deductibles, including home, health and car.

Originally Posted By: Apollo14
What makes 3rd party extended warranties more of a scam than any other form of insurance?

Sure I understand that many people don't read the terms and conditions or might have difficulty claiming, but isn't that the case with many forms of insurance?

I'd really like to know who are the worst companies because their profits must be sky high and I would think they would be great stock investments!

Btw, I don't buy extended warranties and tend to have insurance only for worse case outcomes and with high deductibles, including home, health and car.

Why are third party car warranties worse than any other kind of insurance? Because it basically operates in the unholy intersection of high-pressure car sales, burial insurance ("You cannot be turned down!")and life insurance for babies. Regular term life insurance in 100K plus quantities has a much more rational clientele, plus, it tends to be a little more regulated.

You can't buy stock in the scammers. They aren't interested in sharing with you.

After watching the news story I got the feeling that she succumbed to one of those robocall pitches that start off stating "your factory warranty is about to expire."

Even the ones the dealers pitch are not always great. When I bought my 2012 Mazda the instant I started balking at the EW the price came down $600. If it were truly priced appropriately and not just pure profit they would have never come down on the price that quickly. I made the mistake of taking it, but canceled it earlier this year and had the prorated value paid towards my principal balance.

If you're going to get anything like this perhaps the mechanical breakdown insurance offered by your own insurer might be the way to go. Since most cars have little to no expensive trouble in the first 100,000 miles the result is what Consumer Reports has been reporting for years - only about 10% of the revenue from sales of EW's is expended to satisfy claims.

If you want to buy the warranty, as for the items NOT COVERED. Don't even look at the list of covered items!

Lexus CPO gives you a small list of UNCOVERED list which is quite short. Everything else not explicitly excluded is covered.

Wow the wording must have been explicit, no receipts for oil changes nothing is covered, period.

I received one of these calls yesterday for my 13 vehicle whihc has a 100,000 mile 10 year powertrain warranty, I said why would I ever do business with a fly by night company like yours, her response, that is not fair!

I do have an extended warranty from Ford on 1 vehicle but they are negotiable and found a dealer that was willing to significantly cut the price. they purchase at a low price from Ford and can re sell from Ford at about any price they want (just like a car), yes it is a Ford manufacturer warranty from a Ford dealer.

Originally Posted By: Gabe
I remember when a good rating with the BBB meant something.

Can never trust any organization whose livelihood comes from the very people they are supposed to report on whether it be the BBB, AMA, Lawyers, Accountants etc. BBB is now too afraid of lawsuits and I agree their ratings are useless as is their info, no longer tell you the nature of any complaints etc basically only that they have been settled Beyter luck with the states consumer protection agency than the BBB

I used to get those warranty robocalls frequently. Once, I decided to mess with them. I said, "OK, let's see how much it will cost to cover my car." This was around 2012. I said, "My car is a 1989 Honda Accord with 325,000 miles." The guy said, "Uh, we can't cover that." I asked, "So, why do you keep calling me?" He immediately hung up on me.

No land-line here and trolls don't have my cell phone (yet).

Does anyone else here get the mailings? There is one company that sends me unsolicited extended warranty junk every couple of weeks.

Next time I won't throw it away immediately.

As far as the manufacturer warranties go, I've heard that HondaCare is a great deal for the consumer.

I haven't had a land line since 2009. I still get robocalls, though, not as often as a couple years ago. My Windows Phone has a built in blocking app and I currently have 35 numbers on the blocked list.

You can use this link to see if anyone else has reported the number as a robocall originator. They are almost all bogus numbers.

www.privacystar.com/top-trending/

Originally Posted By: DBMaster
After watching the news story I got the feeling that she succumbed to one of those robocall pitches that start off stating "your factory warranty is about to expire."

Even the ones the dealers pitch are not always great. When I bought my 2012 Mazda the instant I started balking at the EW the price came down $600. If it were truly priced appropriately and not just pure profit they would have never come down on the price that quickly. I made the mistake of taking it, but canceled it earlier this year and had the prorated value paid towards my principal balance.

If you're going to get anything like this perhaps the mechanical breakdown insurance offered by your own insurer might be the way to go. Since most cars have little to no expensive trouble in the first 100,000 miles the result is what Consumer Reports has been reporting for years - only about 10% of the revenue from sales of EW's is expended to satisfy claims.

Most, if not all, manufacturers that have extended manufacturer's warranties for sale allow any dealer to sell to any buyer, but so far as I know, Ford is the only one to allow the dealers to advertise their prices. So there is a thriving cottage industry of Ford dealers selling extended factory warranties nationwide over the internet at considerable discount. Unfortnately, Ford has raised the wholesale price of the policies in the past few months, to the point where you have to think twice about buying them anyway. My policy went from 715 bucks to 915 bucks.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back