Extended Oil Drains EGR Diesel Engines Impossible?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soot is going to be a regular event to deal with in the new (EGR) diesel engine. In the (old) diesel combustion process extra fuel/gases just went out the tail pipe. Diesel fuel is sprayed into the engine via injectors on the compression stroke and does not have time to mix properly with air. The (new) EGR engine will recirculate the exhaust gas back into the cylinder area to (in effect) burn off any left over fuel. Soot, If not adequately dispersed within the oil,begins to agglomerate, or gather into clusters increasing viscosity and allowing deposits to form on metal surfaces. Thick, sooty oil can plug filters and increase operating temperatures which can cause lubrication starvation and ultimately, metal on metal contact. Sandpaper effect...The soot then becomes a harsh abrasive that accelerates wear in cylinder liners, rings, piston skirts, journal bearings and valve trains. Extended Drains might be a thing of the past without:::

1. Bypass filteration which filters soot levels out of oil.

2. Larger sumps and higher quality diesel engine oils.

Only time will tell, but it seems at this point the OEM OCI will be the normal...even with synthetics....add to this the new ULSDF and diesel might be in trouble for a few years....any one planning on buying a 2007 diesel engine that wants to be the next (OIL/FILTER EXPERIMENT)for extended drains? Does anyone know what OCI in general will be with the main stream diesels?

UOA's just got much more valuable.

OTH maybe this will lead to real diesel automobiles in the USA.

I don't want to speculate on what OCI will be possible, but I'm hoping the "new" engines will have mucho oil capacity and room for a remote/factory installed remote filtration.

I've had two VW Tdi's and a Mercedes CDI, both with EGR. The VW's went 10,000 miles OCI's on Delvac1 with oil anaysis
coming back fine, room to spare. I sold the Mercedes early and never did an analysis but Mercedes recommended 13,000 mile OCI on Mobil 1 0w-40. The oil change was not free from Mercedes so I think they believe the motor can go that long between changed as opposed to BMW's unrealistic intervals (not necessarily oil change) because they pay for the maintenance.

The later diesel engines from VAG (VW/Audi/Skoda/Seat) are running 30,000 km OCI's (some models was up to 50,000 km).
No recalls so far regarding oil..

LCM,

You forgot the 8 TBN, CJ-4 oils and their affect on service intervals.
smile.gif

TS

I think Terry has talked about new diesel oils coming out soon. My guess is the new standards(CJ?) will in turn create better oils to deal with the problem. Perhaps the filtering will get better too.

-T

Quote:

LCM,

You forgot the 8 TBN, CJ-4 oils and their affect on service intervals.
smile.gif

TS

This is my question TS.I understand that many have ventured into the 10+K range with EGR Diesels, but not with this new classification of oil. The Delvac and other oils are in the 12TBN range.

TS, what is your take on this as well as others. Is the new CJ-4 8TBN oil going to go any distance past lets say....7.5K?
puke.gif

Light duty emission diesels, both good and bad ones, have been running EGR for over 20 years in the US.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back