Extended Oil Drain Intervals w/Mobil 1???

Status
Not open for further replies.

pvq

I was hoping to get some opinions on allowing extended oil change intervals with synthetic oil. I of course realize that during the warrantee period one must closely adhere to the manufacturers recommendations, but Im talking real world here. In my own case, I own a 2001 Ford Explorer Sport Trac (4.0 L SOHC engine)
patriot.gif
. Since 1100 miles I have been running Mobil 1 synthetic 5W-30 weight oil with a Motorcraft FL820S filter. Since I drive less than 7500 miles per year, I intend to change the oil and filter ONCE per year. Seems from all that Ive read, Mobil 1 should easily be able to handle a year in the crankcase with capacity to spare and should still provide superior protection and hopefully allow long term engine longevity on this schedule. I welcome your opinions and thanks in advance for your answers.

I would concur but only if you heat that enigne up the majority of times you start it otherwise, 7500 miles with under 10 mile trips may be an issue. Don't know if you live in a cold winter area which can have a bearing.

quote:

Originally posted by Spector:
I would concur but only if you heat that enigne up the majority of times you start it otherwise, 7500 miles with under 10 mile trips may be an issue. Don't know if you live in a cold winter area which can have a bearing.

Yes, but keep in mind Mobil's "Aunt Minnie" test. They ran 5w30 synthetic in a car for over 5 years (with no oil changes) and put less than 7500 miles on it doing 3 miles a day. Engine never reached operating temp. At the end of the test the engine was clean on the inside and showed no abnormal wear.

Hey there welcome to the Forum!

From other oil analysis I have seen of that motor it's a good one and I think you probably can do this especially if that filter is used. The wear numbers might not be terrific but in a way I think some of us are spoiled,I myself am somewhat guilty of this and see double digit Iron numbers and cringe but really for no reason. I for years ran the miles up on Mobil dino but never had a look at it through analyis and I would assume the wear numbers would have been shocking to todays stds but those motors were going over 200k and running well when sold .
If you do this,I would have a look about 8 months or so into the interval through analysis to see if all is well,JMO .
EDIT:
If you have a warranty still left this might should be taken into consideration but usually if a motor lasts to 1k miles,it's going to run on out as usual.

[ January 11, 2003, 06:05 PM: Message edited by: dragboat ]

I agree with Spector and Dragboat. One year may be pushing it in terms of good analysis numbers. But as Spector has said several times. No one really seems to correlate wear with analysis numbers. I would consider the 10W-30 vs. the 5W-30. Wear numbers appear better and viscosity holds grade. I also think that you may get issues with the antidrainback valve at one year intervals if the filter is horizontal. I personally would pull a sample and change filter at 6K and see how things look.

Also pvq, I wouldn't close my eyes to oils other than Mobil 1. I used to be die-hard Mobil 1. But there are oils just as good (Shaeffer's,Amsoil).

And....
welcome.gif

G-Man, as I recall the Iron in that car was over 400 ppm ?? I believe they were not able to determine where it came from
rolleyes.gif

Thanks for all the great information and for the warm welcome.

Al, I just visited the Shaefers and Amsoil sites. Shaefers doesn't seem to have a fully synthetic, and Amsoil actually recomends 25,000 mile or 1 year intervals. Is it really any better than Mobil 1? I always thought Mobil 1 was the standard. Ive always used Mobil 1 because it is widely available and as far as I know one of the only TRUE synthetics out there. But I try and keep an open minds so please advise if you think either or the other two are any better.

As far as my oil filter, it is mounted vertically on the engine, hopefully preventing any anti-drain back issues.

Finally, can you tell me where I might go should I decide to have an oil analysis done? is there a particular sight you guys like? and does the analysis come with a guide on how to interpret the results. Im a novice here as you can tell.

Thanks again for all your opinions...keep em comming.

Schaeffer oil does make a 5w30 full synthetic, but honestly, their 5w30 Supreme 7000 blend has already proven itself to be able to handle 10k drain intervals in a lot of cases so it's more popular.

As far as oil analysis goes, if you click on this link:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/oilanalysis.html

you'll find two choices. No matter what lab you choose, Terry Dyson is great at interpreting the results for you, for just $10 a report it's well worth it, as he'll guide you through your choices and make sure that you're running the optimum oil, filter and interval for your specific application. When it comes to oil, it's not one size fits all, and Terry knows how to determine what works and what doesn't.

[ January 11, 2003, 08:03 PM: Message edited by: Patman ]

pvq,

Mobil 1 is suitable for extended drain intervals as indicated by the ACEA A3 & A5 ratings, but...ExxonMobil doesn't promote this in the U. S. The automakers don't do extended drains and most U. S. consumers think that 3000 mile oil drain intervals are a virtue. ExxonMobil isn't going to stick their neck out any farther than the engine makers do.

Amsoil's 25k and 35k within one year might work in some engines and not in others...analysis is the only way to know for sure. I know an Amsoil user who has 58% oxidation on his Amsoil 0W-30 after 6200 miles on an engine with 22k total miles. He won't make 35k and good engine protection on that oil in his truck (Toyota 4.7L V8).

Ken

Was chatting to a Mobil technician recently (when trying the 0W-40 in the 4Runner.

When drain intervals came up, he said "strictly in accordance with manufacturer's recommendations", followed by "is it in warranty ?"

When he found it was out of warranty, and my driving pattern, he recommended 15-20,000 km, or 12 months. Also stating that it's good for 40,000 in salesman type applications on the highway.

The Empire State = New York, for those who live in "flyover" country
wink.gif

pvq,

I have been running annual changes with Amsoil for almost 25 years ....In some vehicles I don't drive that much, I test the oil after a year and run the same stuff for two full years. My average drain intervals over the past 25 years have been in the 15,000 mile range. I'd run the regular Amsoil 5w-30 "ASL", or 0w-30 "TSO" in this Ford application .... You won't have any durability problems. I would recommend changing oil filters every six months, as some of the rubber parts degrade over time from exposure to used oil.

I can't speak for ExxonMobil ....

TooSlick

I think what your proposing sounds very reasonable.

I would change the oil and filter and run it 3K miles (assuming you are not using this oil now. If you are forget this step).

Then change to Mobil 1 and a new filter and changet he oil once each year. I would also consider changing the filter at 6 months and topping off. This FL-820S uses quality silicon anti-drain back valve (not that it matters in a vertical application). At least you will know the filter is not clogged and you will get a recharge of additives with the 1/2 or so you add back.

Just out of curiosity-has anyone ever seen a Mobil 1 analysis at greater than 10K miles??
This is one of the best I hav seen (its mine)
smile.gif

Vehicle Miles- 71,300
Miles on oil- 8300
Oil Analysts Inc.

LT- Less Than
Fe- 15
Cr.- 1
Cu- 9
Ni. - LT 1
Al- 7
Pb.-10
Tin- LT 1
Silver- LT .1
Si- 13

Boron -76
Na- 9
K- LT 10
Moly-20 (Made up with 15W-50 M 1 SS)
Phos-797
Zinc 914
Ca,-1290
Magnesium-1340
Vis-11.4
TBN-7.12
Note 1.5 quarts makeup including 1 qt 10W-50 M1 at filter change.

TriSyn even
smile.gif

[ January 12, 2003, 12:01 PM: Message edited by: Al ]

quote:

Originally posted by Al:
I agree with Spector and Dragboat. One year may be pushing it in terms of good analysis numbers. But as Spector has said several times. No one really seems to correlate wear with analysis numbers. I would consider the 10W-30 vs. the 5W-30. Wear numbers appear better and viscosity holds grade. I also think that you may get issues with the antidrainback valve at one year intervals if the filter is horizontal. I personally would pull a sample and change filter at 6K and see how things look.

Also pvq, I wouldn't close my eyes to oils other than Mobil 1. I used to be die-hard Mobil 1. But there are oils just as good
blush.gif
ONLY JUST AS GOOD??? (Shaeffer's,Amsoil).

And....
welcome.gif

G-Man, as I recall the Iron in that car was over 400 ppm ?? I believe they were not able to determine where it came from
rolleyes.gif

PVQ, If am sure that your owner's manual and warranty call for either a 3000 mile(severe duty) or 5000 mile(normal service) change interval. I own a 2002 Explorer Sport Trac, and these are the intervals that are listed in my manual. I would stick with the 5000 mile change because of your warranty. The Mobil 1 will handle this interval with no problem. -Joe

quote:

Originally posted by dragboat:
I for years ran the miles up on Mobil dino but never had a look at it through analyis and I would assume the wear numbers would have been shocking to todays stds but those motors were going over 200k and running well when sold .

Yep. I've been using Mobil 1 since the early 80's in every vehicle I've owned that was in good condition. I've followed the same procedure for every one of them. Use the largest filter I can fit on and change oil + filter at 10K miles. I've had a couple of vehicles go 200K miles this way and a couple more that went over 150K miles. None of them ever developed oil usage above 1 quart in 5000 miles.

It's only since I've learned more and found places like this forum that I've started to wonder is what I was doing was sound...

Under the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act (15 U.S.C. 2302(C))Ford would have to prove that the oil was the "Cause" of a mechanical breakdown befor
pat.gif
they could void your warranty for going to an extended oil change interval. As long as your within the oil mfg's suggested guidlines then your ok. So if the oil mfg. say's 7.5k or 25k go for it. If Ford does prove it's to Oil's fault then your left with making the Oil mfg live up to their warranty.

Note that Chevy had a 10,000 mile recommended oil change interval for the Corvette begining in 1997 with Mobil 1 (the Factory Oil fill). Although they also have a computer that recommends the oil change interval. Later (not sure if in 2001) they went to a 15,000 mile recommendation.

quote:

Originally posted by Cliff:
Under the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act (15 U.S.C. 2302(C))Ford would have to prove that the oil was the "Cause" of a mechanical breakdown befor
pat.gif
they could void your warranty for going to an extended oil change interval. As long as your within the oil mfg's suggested guidlines then your ok. So if the oil mfg. say's 7.5k or 25k go for it. If Ford does prove it's to Oil's fault then your left with making the Oil mfg live up to their warranty.

Yes, but....

Things break. You and me, the owners, don't want to care why they broke. We have enough trouble with another trip back to the dealership, a day or several without our vehicle, etc. We do not want the headache of having a stonewalling service rep telling us that they won't pay unless we prove that it's their fault, and having an oil company telling us, "AMSOIL, INC. of Superior, Wisconsin, further guarantees its lubricants and lubricating fluids against defective materials, design and workmanship" and, "The warranty may not be extended to cover...deficiencies within the equipment in which it has been installed."

So, things break. Do you want to be forced into the position of proving to whichever oil maker that their oil was defective and the engine was not? Or proving to the engine maker that his engine was defective and the oil was not at the time of the failure? Not me. I just want the blasted thing fixed and paid for by the warranty without any guff.

Ken

quote:

Originally posted by Corvette Owner:
Note that Chevy had a 10,000 mile recommended oil change interval for the Corvette begining in 1997 with Mobil 1 (the Factory Oil fill). Although they also have a computer that recommends the oil change interval. Later (not sure if in 2001) they went to a 15,000 mile recommendation.

Yes, it was indeed 2001 that the C5's interval was changed to 15k. I intend on owning one someday!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back