Extended OCI's

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: AccordK24
Oil is cheap. Engine rebuilds aren't.

The average dino oil change costs $15 in oil and $5 for a filter, or $25 in oil if you use a synthetic like Mobil 1.

I'd much rather pay an extra $30 every 5,000 miles than to run 10,000 mile OCIs and risk increased engine wear down the road. $30 is less than the cost of 1 tank of gas!

Regardless of what your opinion is on extended OCIs, the one fact which we all know is that a 10,000 mile OCI will not produce lower wear numbers than a 5,000 mile OCI. At best, a 10,000 mile OCI will produce wear numbers that equal a 5,000 mile OCI, but not better. At worst, a 10,000 mile OCI may produce significantly increased wear, and that wear may not show up until past 100k miles, at which point it's already too late.

To anyone who came to this post via Google you need to be aware of it being pretty much completely incorrect and borderline absurd.

If this is what you truly believe I'm not sure you can even be helped here.

The average dino oil change costs $15 in oil and $5 for a filter, or $25 in oil if you use a synthetic like Mobil 1.

I'd much rather pay an extra $30 every 5,000 miles than to run 10,000 mile OCIs and risk increased engine wear down the road. $30 is less than the cost of 1 tank of gas!

Regardless of what your opinion is on extended OCIs, the one fact which we all know is that a 10,000 mile OCI will not produce lower wear numbers than a 5,000 mile OCI. At best, a 10,000 mile OCI will produce wear numbers that equal a 5,000 mile OCI, but not better. At worst, a 10,000 mile OCI may produce significantly increased wear, and that wear may not show up until past 100k miles, at which point it's already too late.

Just a wonderful example of this being woefully incorrect, member Doug Hillary rain a team of OTR truck trains in the Australia outback with 500HP Detroit Diesel mills when he was testing Delvac 1 for ExxonMobil. His OCI's averaged around 90,000Kms. He posted the pictures of one of his "random tear-downs" on here (actually, Pablo posted the images for Doug) which showed visible cross hatching still in the bore and no discernible wear after 1.2 million Km's. The bearings measured "as new" and were returned to service along with the liner and piston that were pulled for inspection.

When used correctly, UOA's can help one determine the maximum safe OCI for their vehicle and lubricant choice. This method is employed by fleets to maximize their ROI on their lube purchases and equipment.

"Extended OCI" all depends on the engine and its use. An engine getting used in all highway driving might well be able to go 14-15k miles on an oil change, while the same engine in short trip use may well need a 5k mile oil change.

I think an extended interval is viable, certainly for folks whose cars spend their lives barreling down the interstate for hours upon hours.

Shorter intervals may be more appropriate for severe service of cars, as is very common for many people who have to run errands between shopping malls, their house, friends etc on weekends/weekdays.

The main factor is the oil used (i.e. the quality of the additive pack, correct viscosity for the engine and an engine that is performing as intended at the factory), but also the filtration.
Cars with a variable service interval are better suited to longer intervals, as the car's computer can alter the interval based on a variety of factors, based on the manufacturer's choosing.

My 1993 BMW 320i (M50 with VANOS) now has 123K miles (about 198k km) and has always been run on the factory service indicator, which for the E36 will go a maximum of either 7.5K or 9.3K miles, depending on whether your car was manufactured before or after the introduction of Semi and Fully synthetic oils (as part of LL-98, and previously "Special Oils" from 1996).
It still performs very well, but does have a lifter tick that hasn't really slowed down with the latest oil change with 10w50 synthetic. My suspicion is the secondary timing chain tensioner may be taking pressure off the Cylinder 1 lifters, as it is original and weeping slightly.
The car generally doesn't have cold-start lifter tick, unless it sits for several days, or if its particularly cold out. I generally don't consider it an issue, rather just an inconvenient noise.

Visual inspection through the oil filler cap (at the rear of the engine bay on my car) reveals very light varnishing. Some "sludge-like" flakes on the plastic valve-cover, but I think those are to be expected given the properties of plastic. The valvetrain itself appears very clean.

The later models introduced a longer service interval, with the introduction of the LL-98 oils, which were fully synthetic. I presume the increased service interval arose from the increased cost of service, plus the fact that synthetics hold up far better on such a long interval.
In all honesty, I am tempted to drop back to a semi-synth, seeing as the car was intended for mineral oils at best.

One of a number of tidbits of good information I've learned on here is that there are a good amount of applications where long OCI are just fine.
I do believe there are some circumstances where a shorter interval may be more advisable for some too. I have learned that the motor in my car is rather harsh on oil from the Nissan and Infinity site. Add to that my driving area is 50\50 highway to city is another factor plus short trips has well.
But that is just my own situation. Easily can be very different for someone else driving all highway and different motor. In NASCAR I have heard they change the oil in their cars after practice and qualifying. Fresh oil is in the car for the race. Now even in NASCAR there are variances with race conditions at different tracks. For example at Michigan, Atlanta or Autoclub speedway the motors are under high hanging RPMs that take a toll on motors. Whereas at Bristol, Richmond and Martinsville the motors run from 4k RPM to 9k RPMs. These are very different conditions in which these motors have to endure.
I do believe these new pepped up 4 cylinders running higher RPMs even traveling 70 mph plus could be a difference maker too. A motor turning 3500 plus RPM versus my car that turns 2300 RPM at 75 mph cruising speed is a big difference. How much more would that motor revolutions would it turn in just a 500 mile open highway trip than my car? It becomes exponential rather quickly. If I owned a peppy 4 cylinder car I would not want to push real far with a interval.
But again, there are MANY applications where going up to 15k miles would be just fine. Heck the one fella on here with 349,000 plus miles doing longer intervals is a great case in point
smile.gif

It can be done. No doubt. I do feel like its perfectly fine for many to do just that. For me I will adjust mine according to my own circumstance.

Originally Posted By: gathermewool
Not enough info! ? It seems that too many new members with old ideas are now the voice of BITOG, and that makes me sad...

Agreed- and quite the vocal voice at that. Too bad the remaining plank holders and long timers are all too often quiet.

Originally Posted By: bbhero
One of a number of tidbits of good information I've learned on here is that there are a good amount of applications where long OCI are just fine.
I do believe there are some circumstances where a shorter interval may be more advisable for some too. I have learned that the motor in my car is rather harsh on oil from the Nissan and Infinity site. Add to that my driving area is 50\50 highway to city is another factor plus short trips has well.
But that is just my own situation. Easily can be very different for someone else driving all highway and different motor. In NASCAR I have heard they change the oil in their cars after practice and qualifying. Fresh oil is in the car for the race. Now even in NASCAR there are variances with race conditions at different tracks. For example at Michigan, Atlanta or Autoclub speedway the motors are under high hanging RPMs that take a toll on motors. Whereas at Bristol, Richmond and Martinsville the motors run from 4k RPM to 9k RPMs. These are very different conditions in which these motors have to endure.
I do believe these new pepped up 4 cylinders running higher RPMs even traveling 70 mph plus could be a difference maker too. A motor turning 3500 plus RPM versus my car that turns 2300 RPM at 75 mph cruising speed is a big difference. How much more would that motor revolutions would it turn in just a 500 mile open highway trip than my car? It becomes exponential rather quickly. If I owned a peppy 4 cylinder car I would not want to push real far with a interval.
But again, there are MANY applications where going up to 15k miles would be just fine. Heck the one fella on here with 349,000 plus miles doing longer intervals is a great case in point
smile.gif

It can be done. No doubt. I do feel like its perfectly fine for many to do just that. For me I will adjust mine according to my own circumstance.

I couldn't agree more. Each duty cycle is different and one size doesn't fit all.
I only take issue with absurdity.
The previous post I quoted is a perfect example of absurd. It's complete with half truths,wives tale and the guy believes it,which is sad.
It shows that he didn't do his homework before posting. It's been implied here via used oil analysis that wear metals shedding actually decreases as the miles rack up,and most wear happens at the beginning of the interval when the new oil hasn't oxidized enough to provide maximum protection,and the new oil hasn't laid down its tribo-chemical layer yet.
So more frequent oil changes actually increase wear metal shedding because of the stripping and re-applying of the tribo-chemical film.
Not that I give a single used oil analysis any real clout. Most here are aware that wear cannot be accurately measured via a used oil analysis and understand that data is required,lots of it before any real conclusions can be drawn.
These guys who take one oil,do a used oil analysis then use a different oil and another used oil analysis then compare wear metals and conclude the sample with the lowest wear metals is better are foolish and don't understand in the least how to interpret the data they've paid for. It's laughable.
If I'm ever in doubt I go to Doug Hillary's profile and search for an answer. The guy is an actual expert whose happy to share his knowledge. He's the real deal and we are lucky to have him.
Anyways extended intervals are easily do-able. To believe otherwise is denying the obvious and proves absolute ignorance.
But some people don't let facts get in the way of their opinions,why would BITOG be any different.

True man.. Well stated:)
Again, like I said I have learned a lot on here. And you have been one of my instructors. That's why I enjoy being on here. Learning new stuff, taking better care of my cars, and making me think. Jim Valvano said in his famous Espy speech.. "Every day you aught to be moved by your emotions, you aught to laugh everyday, and you aught to really think every day. If you think, laugh and cry everyday. That's a full day." Wise words indeed.
But yeah I believe its good to do at least some reading and research too. And be open to learn new things.

Originally Posted By: bbhero
True man.. Well stated:)
Again, like I said I have learned a lot on here. And you have been one of my instructors. That's why I enjoy being on here. Learning new stuff, taking better care of my cars, and making me think. Jim Valvano said in his famous Espy speech.. "Every day you aught to be moved by your emotions, you aught to laugh everyday, and you aught to really think every day. If you think, laugh and cry everyday. That's a full day." Wise words indeed.
But yeah I believe its good to do at least some reading and research too. And be open to learn new things.

That's the key. Being open.
I learn something new here everyday. This site is a wealth of knowledge once you wade through the mire of opinion.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
What prompted me to ask was what I saw today. A BMW that ran dealer oil and religiously followed the BMW intervals. A couple of UOA's look good, no problems noted. At 200K the engine is junk. It just barley failed the California smog test.

So if it "religiously followed the BMW intervals", why did you title your thread "Extended OCI's"? If someone follows the engine manufacturer's recommended intervals I don't think it would be considered extended change intervals.

But then, this is one of the reasons why the quality of information on BITOG has deteriorated over the last few years. Jumping to conclusions and making grossly inaccurate statements by posters whose "expertise" comes from looking at a handful of used oil reports.

On a side note, the correct spelling is "barely". "Barley" is a cereal grain.

Please-share data that proves that "fact that we all know".

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
What prompted me to ask was what I saw today. A BMW that ran dealer oil and religiously followed the BMW intervals. A couple of UOA's look good, no problems noted. At 200K the engine is junk. It just barley failed the California smog test.

So if it "religiously followed the BMW intervals", why did you title your thread "Extended OCI's"? If someone follows the engine manufacturer's recommended intervals I don't think it would be considered extended change intervals.

But then, this is one of the reasons why the quality of information on BITOG has deteriorated over the last few years. Jumping to conclusions and making grossly inaccurate statements by posters whose "expertise" comes from looking at a handful of used oil reports.

On a side note, the correct spelling is "barely". "Barley" is a cereal grain.

I agree, but I'd say that jumping to conclusions is putting it pretty lightly.

He has provided us with one singular example and next to no supporting information and expects us to believe that virtually all the auto manufacturers, oil companies and people (like members here), who have have spent countless hours and dollars determining that moving to and staying with the longer oil drains that are being recommended is safe, are in fact actually wrong.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit

Please-share data that proves that "fact that we all know".

In the strictest sense he's right- BUT the single digit or very low double digit wear metals increase by going from 5k drains to 10k drains does not equal engine death beyond 100k miles. What he and many others don't realize is that in terms of parts per MILLION, increasing from say, 10 to 20 caused by increasing oil drain length is pretty much statistical noise at most.

Lets not let the facts get in the way of the "truth".

Originally Posted By: sciphi
"Extended OCI" all depends on the engine and its use. An engine getting used in all highway driving might well be able to go 14-15k miles on an oil change, while the same engine in short trip use may well need a 5k mile oil change.

Heck, a few years ago we had a guy whose wife used to idle her GM minivan out front of her kid's school in a hot state while she was waiting for him to get out. Not sure why she idled so much, but the oil computer kept considering the oil in need of a change at 2000 miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back