Extended OCIs = Oil Capacity?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am curious with what engine and oil capacity Mobil 1 EP was based to last 15,000. Surely not a 4 cylinder with 3.5 qts. of oil. But it would make sense that the fact there is more oil that there is more additives and protectants in the oil.

quote:

Originally posted by bob_ninja:
Side question:
I keep reading about these large sumps, oil capacity of 5-6-7... qts. I have a couple of Hondas, both little over 3 qts and a Mazda, again little over 3 qts, much lower capacity (all 4 cyl). Why such a big difference? Is it just a design decision or is there something in the motor design that requires lower/greater oil capacity?

thanks

It's a design decision. Using a bigger pan isn't as simple as it might seem and involves some other tradeoffs.

The mfrs have design standards that require a reliable oil supply to the pump under various conditions of acceleration, braking, cornering, hill and side slope operation with oil at the add mark. They also require that that oil not get whipped by the crankshaft when oil is at the full mark under similar conditions.

To meet those requirement without going to a dry sump, you often need a deeper pan as well as a wider/longer pan. That in turn requires raising the engine in the car which has an impact on drivetrain design and maybe the front structure of the car.

quote:

Originally posted by Gary Allan:
Just plug in the numbers, Brian.

What oil are you using? dino=40 GroupIII synth=80 POA=120

What size is your sump?

What's your mpg?

What is your engine size?

Multiply.

Divide by hp (it comes out the same)

Awesome. Thanks Gary. Although, I get some interesting figures for my sludge-o-matic saab. 3723 dino, 7446 Gr-III, 11169 Gr IV/V.

quote:

Originally posted by TooSlick:
Gary,

There is no magic to the long drains in Europe...most six cylinder German cars now have 7.5-8.5 qt sumps and most of their V-8s have 8.5-10.0 quart sumps. Combine this with fairly good fuel efficiency and you have the recipe for safely running very long service intervals.

TS

This was my assumption. I knew that the more hyper Euro alloy had larger sumps and spec'd rather sophisticated advanced oils. That's the only way that I could figure them getting the long drains. I thought that a comparison by plugging in your equation (backloading it, if you will) we could get a correlation between the spec'd OCIs that they're seeing ...and what your equation would yield (with the aforementioned "fudge factor" applied).

quote:

Originally posted by BrianWC:

quote:

Just plug in the numbers, Brian.

What oil are you using? dino=40 GroupIII synth=80 POA=120

What size is your sump?

What's your mpg?

What is your engine size?

Multiply.

Divide by hp (it comes out the same)

Awesome. Thanks Gary. Although, I get some interesting figures for my sludge-o-matic saab. 3723 dino, 7446 Gr-III, 11169 Gr IV/V.

So ..go conservative and round down. You don't use dino (my guess) ..so 6k 10k
dunno.gif
Plenty of sludge factor.

Hmm..I wonder if TS has an HDEO modifier to the equation
confused.gif
Shear stable, good initial TBN, long drain .....

I wonder if it would get an honorary 80 "C" factor???

quote:

confused.gif

didn't wanna look silly but I was thinking the same thing.
lol.gif

quote:

confused.gif

TS did a nice job of putting that equation together but you can still use your own judgement to tweak his finagle factors. Take a swag at where you think HDEO would fall relative to the other oils and assign your own number to it.

TS did a nice job of putting that equation together but you can still use your own judgement to tweak his finagle factors. Take a swag at where you think HDEO would fall relative to the other oils and assign your own number to it.

Sorta like I peel away the mpg fru-fru from the equation and calculate gallons burned before an oil change instead of guessing at MPG over the period of an oil change. I also ignore the power density number, but would consider doing something there if I had a turbo.

I plan to see where his equation falls vs my OLM and UOA.

I like TS's equation and IMO it's a good estimating tool. I don't care for the explanation about the power density addressing the driving style pursued by high-performance-car drivers. In reality, that explanation has nothing to do with it for the reasons XS650 points out. What it does do as far as I can see, is compensates for the stress levels of a particular engine. Thus, a typical American-style 'performance' engine, whose power density is somewhat lower than many imports, would see a relatively longer OCI, whereas a high-stress, modified turbo SAAB would have to go relatively shorter.

I've thought about that a little ..and I may have missed some of the counter points that may alter my perception here ..but I think the fuel economy:power density:displacement triad compensates well.

I'm sure it has some holes in it ..but it's not a bad place to start. It works well with my tractor engine (4.0/2.5 jeep) ..and appears sensible for my 3.0 Mitsubishi. This may have more to do with the sensible features of automotive engineering having certain conventions that are shared somewhat across the board.
dunno.gif

quote:

I've thought about that a little ..and I may have missed some of the counter points that may alter my perception here ..but I think the fuel economy:power density:displacement triad compensates well.

Counterpoint was that it's the power you are using, not the potential power in the engne. The power you use is already considered because it's a change oil at x gallons of fuel consumed equation.

I think TS did have a good point about turbos being harder on oil, but except for turbos the power density finagle factor doen't make sense doesn't make sense. A 240 hp 2 liter Honda S2000 doesn't need it's oil changed twice as often as a 2 liter 120 hp Accord just because the S2000 can put out twice as much hp/in^3.

A 1.1 hp/in^3 Corvette is easier on oil than a 1400cc 0.8 hp/in^3 S'Box that gets it neck wrung to keep up with freeway traffic everyday.

I still think it's the best oil change calculation I've see if you off the power density.

quote:

Originally posted by Raven18940:
What about the presence of an oil cooler, that doesn't seem accounted for at all.

Valid point, but some place you need to stop complicating it. Oil temperature would be even better, some cars with oil coolers run thir oil hotter than some cars without them.

So I guess this means that the 5 cylinder non-turbo in my little Volvo S60 that holds about 6 quarts would be an ideal candidate for long OCI's. Nothing but 30 easy freeway miles every day (no congestion either) What other cars out there have high sump to power/engine ratio. I have to admit I was surprised when I realized that my little commuter Volvo took more oil than my wifes new 2006 Toyota Sienna V6.

quote:

Originally posted by XS650:
Valid point, but some place you need to stop complicating it. Oil temperature would be even better, some cars with oil coolers run thir oil hotter than some cars without them.

Ah but my car is turbo charged remember so it is actually cooling the oil.
tongue.gif
I'm just being difficult really as this formula simply doesn't work for my saab. Fun for playing, but not much use to me.

quote:

Originally posted by XS650:

quote:

Counterpoint was that it's the power you are using, not the potential power in the engne. The power you use is already considered because it's a change oil at x gallons of fuel consumed equation.

I think TS did have a good point about turbos being harder on oil, but except for turbos the power density finagle factor doen't make sense doesn't make sense. A 240 hp 2 liter Honda S2000 doesn't need it's oil changed twice as often as a 2 liter 120 hp Accord just because the S2000 can put out twice as much hp/in^3.

A 1.1 hp/in^3 Corvette is easier on oil than a 1400cc 0.8 hp/in^3 S'Box that gets it neck wrung to keep up with freeway traffic everyday.

I still think it's the best oil change calculation I've see if you off the power density.

Well ..help me out where I lost you. I understand you in concept ..and I'll agree with the fuel consumed thingy ..but I reread your original objection to the mpg factor and your equations appear to use the ^3"/hp
confused.gif

Plug in some numbers and try it.
Take C=80, Sump Capacity = 5.5 qts, in^3/HP = 0.91

Simple way.

Gallons of fuel burned = 80 x 5.5 x .91 = 400.4

Complicated way.

Miles = 80 x 5.5 x 26 x .91 = 11410.4 miles

10410.4 miles/26 mpg = 400.4 gallons.

I'm really tired ..but I can't see how to get to 400 gallons of fuel without using that .91 figure there
dunno.gif

Or are you mainly saying that even though we need to use it ...that you don't think that it's an accurate factor
confused.gif

I really shouldn't post when I'm this tired.
frown.gif

quote:

Well ..help me out where I lost you. I understand you in concept ..and I'll agree with the fuel consumed thingy ..but I reread your original objection to the mpg factor and your equations appear to use the ^3"/hp
confused.gif

Plug in some numbers and try it.
Take C=80, Sump Capacity = 5.5 qts, in^3/HP = 0.91

Simple way.

Gallons of fuel burned = 80 x 5.5 x .91 = 400.4

Complicated way.

Miles = 80 x 5.5 x 26 x .91 = 11410.4 miles

10410.4 miles/26 mpg = 400.4 gallons.

I'm really tired ..but I can't see how to get to 400 gallons of fuel without using that .91 figure there
dunno.gif

Or are you mainly saying that even though we need to use it ...that you don't think that it's an accurate factor
confused.gif

I really shouldn't post when I'm this tired.
frown.gif

Just leave the power density factor out in both cases, now go get your beauty rest
grin.gif

Simple way.

Gallons of fuel burned = 80 x 5.5 = 440

Complicated way.

Miles = 80 x 5.5 x 26 = 11440 miles

11440 miles/26 mpg = 440 gallons.

Okay ...now that I've had 7 under my belt. .91 is close enough to 1 to work. Gosh I get simple sometimes.

pat.gif
twak.gif
banghead.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back