Extended OCI okay for oil burning engines?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Right now I'm maintaining a 1993 Honda Accord 2.2 w/275,000km and a 1995 Honda Civic 1.6 w/245,000km. Both are getting Napa Gold filters with Pennzoil YB 10w30.

The Civic is getting 6mo/8,000km changes. Usually needs 2 liters of top up in between.

The Accord is getting 12mo/8000km changes. I last changed it in January and am just approaching 5000km on the fill. It also gets topped up, so far about 2.5 liters since then.

Now, I might be leaving my job, which gives me easy access to oil changes whenever I want.

Can I use Amsoil in these engines and go the full 15,000-20,000 between changes? As long as I keep it topped up with Amsoil it's fine? Invest in Amsoil oil filters right? Or else I'd have to change conventional filters between drains?

My Accord doesnt get much mileage on it. Is the maximum 12 months regardless of mileage, or can I top it up and go the distance?

Remember, both burn oil and need top ups occasionally.

It sounds like your almost replacing enough oil to never do an actual change. What percentage is the "add" oil compared to the capacity?

From my reading on this forum you may be able to find an oil that burns less than others. Have you tried a high mileage like Maxlife?

With all that top off oil it allows you to go longer on your OCI. If you go much over 15,ooo KMs I would change the filter.

Accord sump is 4.3 liters. Civic is 3.5.

I've tried Maxlife HM 10w30 but that burned away as well. So did Syntec 5w30. I thought at least YB is inexpensive so not much of a pain to top up.

Up to what grade/viscosity should I try to combat consumption?

I would use the cheapest Dino I could find and just keep topping it up and change the filter once a year. I wouldn't bother draining the pan at all.

I did this towards the end of my '85 Dodge Caravan with a Mitsubishi engine from 300K KM to 460K KM when it died from an electrical fire. Never changed the oil, just the filter and topped up.

Worked great and never had any issues and the oil was always clean looking on the dipstick.

Amsoil would be a waste IMO. This car is changing your oil for you and just needs you to change the filter!
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: Bluestream
Just change thew filter now and then. Do these cars pass an e-test?

Both cars passed easily.

Originally Posted By: StevieC

Worked great and never had any issues and the oil was always clean looking on the dipstick.

The oil in these cars never stays clean looking for long. But the clean "look" isnt that important right?

Right... How much is it burning in 8K KM's ?

Originally Posted By: Bluestream
Just change thew filter now and then. Do these cars pass an e-test?

My Dodge Caravan which had to be tested before they changed the laws to exclude certain model-years passed with flying colours and had no Cat, EGR and was carbeurator based.

It was burning about a quart every 500K KM by the end and still managed to squeek by.

The Civic burned 2-2.5 liters in 8k kms.
The Accord the same but in only 5000kms but driven hard everyday in short trips. Hitting 5-6k rpm.

Don't change your oil at the normal time. Do a UOA instead and see what level of fatigue is shown when it's topped up. That will tell you how far you can go with a sump that looks like that. Change the filter and use that oil if you don't have an extractor/pump. You're doing the whole sump on the Civic in 10k/km. Are you saying that the Accord consumes 2-2.5 over 5k/km? That's about the whole sump in 10k/km too. It's just a bigger sump. This is a tough one to find any value in using an extended drain synthetic.

Can we assume that you've explored all the service points that may alter consumption (PCV, etc.)??

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan

Can we assume that you've explored all the service points that may alter consumption (PCV, etc.)??

PCV valves have been replaced, with aftermarkets from work. An OEM wont make that much of a difference?

I have explored nothing else. How can I get consumption under control? A lot of Hondas that come into the shop have consumption issues. I thought of ordering auto-rx but it seems expensive.

Originally Posted By: silverrat

The Civic burned 2-2.5 liters in 8k kms.
The Accord the same but in only 5000kms but driven hard everyday in short trips. Hitting 5-6k rpm.

I wouldn't change it at all, just change the filter and top-up.

If you want to try and curb the consumption, if there is a chance in heck. Try adding a quart of MMO to the oil and running it for 1-2K miles and then change the oil/filter and use Valvoline HM oil. (I suggest MMO and not ARX because cost)

It may use some in the beginning but should lighten up after the additives have a chance to work.

I buy it from the US at AutoZone because I haven't had any luck sourcing it here. I have checked retailer after retailer.

I could ship you a bottle if you want to Paypal me some money. I have extra in my stash.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: silverrat
Originally Posted By: Gary Allan

PCV valves have been replaced, with aftermarkets from work. An OEM wont make that much of a difference?

I have explored nothing else. How can I get consumption under control? A lot of Hondas that come into the shop have consumption issues. I thought of ordering auto-rx but it seems expensive.

Attempt to lengthen and enlarge the suction hose. Some place in beaver land should have those adapters to change size. Just try and make it so that it will drain back to the valve cover. Coil it around the engine bay if you have to.

Try whatever agent you like. If consumption can be improved, then the cost should be quickly recovered.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back