Extended OCI for low mileage vehicles

We have 4 vehicles (look like hoarders) and daughter drives the oldest vehicle.
I have been caged inside my home for over 4 years now well before Covid and put maybe 5000 miles/year and have used high grade synthetics all along. Been on a 1y/10K OCI for MB and Lexus and at around 150K moved to 7.5K OCI for the Highlander. The question is for modern vehicles is it OK to go past 1 yr for OCIs especially thoughts on extended OCIs for MB and Lexus vehicles.

The MB takes expensive $9/Q Pennzoil Platinum and a large sump to throw away good oil is a waste.

Last edited:
Not a problem at all. Get some trips of 20+ miles off and on. Its always a good thing to get an oil analysis when considering longer OCI. But to mee 5000 miles is not considered long 8,000 miles is (IMHO)

The question is for modern vehicles is it OK to go past 1 yr for OCIs
I've looked at enough used oil test threads on here from people testing the old oil in their garage queens that age of oil seems irrelevant, at least up to a couple or so years. Not many if any people here testing 5-year-old oil.

There are other oils that meet MB specs for $5 to $6 qt in 5 qt jugs such as Mobil 1 and Castrol. MB doesn't require any specific brand. I.E. My E320 has a Mobil sticker under the hood, but according to the original BEVO list and import declarations provided to FTC, Fuchs oil was listed as factory fill. Nowhere does MB say to use $9 qt Pennzoil. Just a spec, not a brand.

There are other oils that meet MB specs for $5 to $6 qt in 5 qt jugs such as Mobil 1 and Castrol. MB doesn't require any specific brand. I.E. My E320 has a Mobil sticker under the hood, but according to the original BEVO list and import declarations provided to FTC, Fuchs oil was listed as factory fill. Nowhere does MB say to use $9 qt Pennzoil. Just a spec, not a brand.
Not true anymore. The newest MB engines require a low-ash oil that is more expensive than the 229.5 products.

Being in a similar boat, I've extended my OCIs to 8-10k miles or 2yrs, whichever occurs first.

The GLK is going on 6k miles and 1.5yrs currently, most likely will get a change in the Spring.

Back