Extended drain standered?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What do you think the minimun mileage should be for extended drains? Everyone seems to run there oil at different lengths. So what should be the bare minium mileage, 5,000, 7,000, more?

I am going to a 6213.8 mile interval myself, just to be different!
smile.gif

Actually, since my odometer is in kilometers, that works out to 10,000km, a nice round number.
smile.gif

Since that is double the "usual" oil change interval most people I know do, I consider it an extended drain, but not high enough that those people would think I'm insane.
smile.gif

I think 6,000 miles is good. I'm going to try 5,000 for awhile I think with M1 10w30. If my wear is not good by Terry's standerds then I will try another oil.

I forced myself into a 6K drain this last ime with M1 10w-30. It nearly killed me. Most times I can't go 5K with a change. I think I will be doing my first UOA with the current M1 and trying to determine a good extended drain interval from there.

I'm with Patman.. about 10,000km but I drive my car hard. If I didn't I'd probably go 15K with a proper oil analysis of course to make sure the oil is capable of reaching those numbers.

quote:

Originally posted by Chris B.:
What do you think the minimun mileage should be for extended drains? Everyone seems to run there oil at different lengths. So what should be the bare minium mileage, 5,000, 7,000, more?

You cant really answer that question without knowing how you drive and what the climatic conditions are.
dunno.gif

A lot of short trips in the cold with a heavy foot and stop & go and 3500 could be pushing it.
pat.gif

Long trips in warm weather with little stop & go and 10000 or more may be reasonable.
cheers.gif

quote:

Depends on the engine, the oil, and how you drive.

In my Lexus GS430 which is powered by a 4.3 liter V-8, and driven moderately with 75% stop and go driving, using Mobil 1 5w30 supersyn, based on UOA results, I'm using an 8,000 to 10,000 mile interval.

Factory recommended dino juice interval for this is 5,000 miles. So Mobil 1 lasts about twice as long as the Toyota engineers expected dino juice to last.

I think it depends on what you standard is ie. if you change the oil ev. 3k, then anything over this is extended.

Being objective (in a sense), I would say it's anything over the manuf. recommended intervals...usually 7500 mi.

quote:

Depends on many factors.
But to keep it simple, I'd say anything 10-20% (15%) higher than the factory suggestion.

Most cars can safely go 4K, a well maintained car that is not worn can probably go 5-7K depending on "driving conditions" and filter changes.

I'd say to you if you are worried then don't.
This is what I'd do to put your mind at ease.

Nex oil change, Run several hevy dose of Fuel treatment through the tank, then follow up to about 2K with treatments each fill up.

Change ALL your filters (air, Gas, Oil), and change the oil. Go about 1000 MIles and change the filter, then go another 1500-2000 miles and change filter again. Then go about another 1500-2000 miles and again change the filter and oil &
Pull a sample!

This new batch, Change filter only at about 1500
then again around 3000, then another at 4500, then by this time you shall see the results of the first run. If they look good, go another 1500 and drain/sample, if they don't drain first chance and sample.

This is the third batch:
Go about 2000-2500 then filter change, then another 2000-2500 then filter change.... etceteras.

Sooner or later you can lay a finger on the trend, and where your engine wants to have it's oil changed.

If you are worried; then DONT. I have has several cars I pushed WAY WAY farther with no testing and they survived.... Going farther than you should IMO will not hurt if it's only a time or two, but with the method or one similar to the above should get you to the milage fairly safe...
The main thing is that you wan't to keep the filter clean, and you want to monitor the oil at some stage in its life, and gradually push the limits further and further until you can see a trend of when and where the oil begins to thicken or thin out more than say 5%

I plan on going up to at least 12,000 miles this time around - If I can bring myself to wait that long. For some reason I look forward to changing oil now. I wanna get that sample in the mail and find out what my engine and oil are up to. 6 months is a long time!

quote:

Originally posted by medic:
I plan on going up to at least 12,000 miles this time around - If I can bring myself to wait that long. For some reason I look forward to changing oil now. I wanna get that sample in the mail and find out what my engine and oil are up to. 6 months is a long time!

Yeah, I hear ya. Sometimes you either just know or you just wanna be sure.
I noticed as an example the last 6-7 fill ups my milage has dropped about 2 MPG... I found out today and about 3300 miles later that the last results I got WERE HIGH HIGH HIGH on Si and some othr factors not "normal for me" but I could see something in the fuel... it almost always shows up in the MPG IMO.... but I suspected I still had a problem.
Sometimes it's just safer to change just because... Cheaper to waste oil than an engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back