Extended Drain on 5W-20

Status
Not open for further replies.
The old lady's Dad gave her his Lincoln Navigator. I thought he was taking care of the maintenance. Wrong.

I just found a receipt for back in August from the Ford dealer. That's over 11k miles.
twak.gif

I guess a uoa would be pointless. I'll change it tomorrow with the Motorcraft 5W-30 I just picked up at Wally's.

It runs great @ 121K miles. I just hope there won't be any ill effects.
twak.gif

I never wanted to see an extended run on a 5W-20 in a Ford V-8, but...
pat.gif

quote:

Originally posted by haley10:

I guess a uoa would be pointless.

I never wanted to see an extended run on a 5W-20 in a Ford V-8, but...
pat.gif

Actually, IMO this is a perfect time to run a UOA. Does the receipt show 5w20 as the oil used?

Yeah, it's the Motorcraft 5W-20 done at a dealership.

Lucky that a lot is highway driving and no towing.

I do have a Blackstone kit. Maybe.
rolleyes.gif

TBN has to be nil.

She got used to the GM oil life monitor in her other car. You'd think something as expensive as a Lincoln would warn you of being an idiot.

[ April 14, 2004, 10:53 AM: Message edited by: haley10 ]

You'd better hope your wife ain't reading these forums....or your toast!!!!
grin.gif
I agree with the others, take a UOA now. There's been a couple of UOA's done on engines that nobody knew what it was or mileage, but knew it had been in there for years. I know I was suprized at the results, weren't that bad. I mean, I had seen worse. Plus, if it is the Motorcraft 5W-20, then it's semi-syn, and I bet it won't be that bad.

Yeah, it's the Motorcraft 5W-20 done at a dealership.

Lucky that a lot is highway driving and no towing.

I do have a Blackstone kit. Maybe.
rolleyes.gif

TBN has to be nil.

She got used to the GM oil life monitor in her other car. You'd think something as expensive as a Lincoln would warn you of being an idiot.
[/QUOTE

come on haley

do a UOA for science! everyone is salivating whether a 5w-20 can handle a big V8 like that especially over 10k intervals.
wink.gif

< jumping on the bandwagon........c'mon, do a UOA!!!! Would love to see how the Motorcraft water faired given such a long interval.

Sorry guys, I just dumped it. I just can't get into the 20wts., since I have no vehicles that require it.

There was still plenty of oil in it though. It didn't get consumed and burnt off, even @ 121K miles. This was all cool weather though.

I have developed a respect for the Motorcraft/Conoco oil in general though. They appear to be good blends in all grades and cheap.

quote:

Originally posted by G-Man II:

quote:

Sorry guys, I just dumped it. I just can't get into the 20wts., since I have no vehicles that require it.

Even if you didn't plan to use a 5w20, what would have been the harm in having a UOA done on this batch?

Maybe you were afraid the results wouldn't have been too bad after all?
grin.gif

No, I just didn't want to spend the money on it. I also think the results would have been pretty fair, considering.

I'm not from the "thicker is better" crowd at all.

This vehicle isn't my responsibility. I didn't go with 5W-20, because it is subject to get borrowed at anytime and tow major loads.

I'm still not comforatable with 5W-20 in a big truck if your heavy hauling. Maybe I'll learn in the future, but I'm not comforatable with the HT/HS right now until I learn more.

I'm saving the uoa money for better use.

Heley 10...I'm confused ...why did you even borther starting a post and ask for opinions than tell everybody what you told everybody...it doesen't make sense....

quote:

Originally posted by SKUNKY:
Heley 10...I'm confused ...why did you even borther starting a post and ask for opinions than tell everybody what you told everybody...it doesen't make sense....

True. Sorry. I was really considering doing a uoa for everyone, but talked myself out of spending the money. Wasn't really asking for opinions.

quote:

Originally posted by SKUNKY:

Exactly. Seems like a big tease. This would have been the perfect chance to add to the "knowledge pool" on this board, and instead we just get jerked around.

Funny thing is, it was the V10 towing UOA that started turning my thinking around on 5w20s, which is the very thing this guy says makes him doubt the oil.
rolleyes.gif

And as a reminder, I'm running Pennzoil 5w20 in my Chrysler 300M (spec'd for 10w30) because I'm willing to put my money where my mouth is. If the UOA at 3000 miles comes back with bad numbers, so be it. If it comes back with good numbers, I'll continue to use it and go for longer drains. Terry Dyson will be doing the analysis.

Sorry, G-Man II and everybody else. I wasn't trying to jerk anyone around.

I think this long on any dino/blend doesn't prove much, so I didn't want to fork over the bucks. I talked myself out of it. I apologize.

I was up for it yesterday, but spending the bucks didn't look so good today.
pat.gif

Your uoa will be much more meaningful.

quote:

Originally posted by DavoNF:
Oh well, back to the good ole 15W-40 as my "winter" oil.

Wow! Impressive oil. HTHS of 5.11. Viscosity of 17.4 makes it near the lower end of the SAE 50 range, or like a tad thicker than a heavy 40 wt. Pour point of -45C. I wonder what the MRV is? That was not listed on the Mobil site. This is year round oil.

Since I came onto BITOG I weaned myself off of Rislone Engine Treatment, am doing UOAs, and am extending my OCIs. Next you guys are probably going to convince me on synthetic, then I'll have to get a bypass filter to do that justice. Oh boy, where will it end?
fruit.gif

Paul,

This Pennzoil dino 15W-40. First time I've tried it in this motor, usually use Castrol dino 15W-40.

I don't use synthetic oil as I cannot see any real benefit. If it was a bit less expensive over here, maybe I would. This motor has had 15W-40 dino in it for all of its 160,000 mile life, and the previous owner did the Ford recommended OCI of 6,000 miles. Hasn't hurt it. I do 3,000 mile OCI's
grin.gif

Dave

quote:

Originally posted by DavoNF:
Paul, This Pennzoil dino 15W-40. First time I've tried it in this motor, usually use Castrol dino 15W-40.

Oops, I must have gotten crossed up on threads I am looking at. Somehow I thought I was responding to 15w50 Mobil 1 (now where was that post
dunno.gif
). Well, I can always take a look at the Pennzoil and Castrol 15w40 and compare them to the Valvoline Durablend 15w40 I plan to run this summer. The expense has kept me back from full synthetic too, but I am extending to maybe a 5000 mile or longer OCI on the pickup because it is mostly 16+ mile trips, so maybe I could go synthetic. Hey, what low temperatures do you see with the 15w40 dinos. I suspect there are some (blends at least) that will go to 0F (approx -18C), no?

[ April 15, 2004, 03:44 PM: Message edited by: TallPaul ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back