Extended Drain OCIs; choices?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all. I did a quck search for "Extended Drain" but came up empty (strangely enough). What are some good choices for oils for this type of use? I'm speaking specifically of the once a year changes like Amsoil advocates.

Greg

Annual OCI's would depend on the miles you drive each year. Amsoil and Mobil 1 are good choices. I'm new to the extended drain thing, but I'm sure that someone that knows a little more will chime in.

The proper way to extend oil drains is to have the oil lab checked at the mfg. recommended drain intervals then work your mileage or time from there.

I think you have two choices for extendend drains. Mobil 1 and Amsoil. Amsoil seems better suited to extendend drains but Mobil 1 is a great oil and can go the distance as well. Just do your UOA's as you extend to see how well the oil suits your engine.

Your best bet is probably Amsoil.

I don't consider 10k miles extended service, but I'd bet Redline could do that easily in good condition engine.

Thanks for the replies, all.

I think I'm going to get a UOA done if they're not too expensive. Right now I've got about 20k kms on Amsoil 0W30 (approx 12,500 miles) and have about 2 months until the drain date. The car is a '99 Civic with approx 130k kms (a little less than 81k miles).

Here's a plan; get a sample at the drain time and run a cleaning cycle with Seafoam or AutoRx while I wait for the test results and then based on that, look at some of the choices you folks have mentioned. Am I on the right track with this stuff?

Thanks again!

Greg

quote:

Originally posted by Horatio:
Thanks for the replies, all.

I think I'm going to get a UOA done if they're not too expensive. Right now I've got about 20k kms on Amsoil 0W30 (approx 12,500 miles) and have about 2 months until the drain date. The car is a '99 Civic with approx 130k kms (a little less than 81k miles).
Thanks again!Greg

I have one 4 cyl that I go annual drains with the 0W , last year about 11,000 miles. UOA is fine. Another I go 12,000 with the 10W. You should be fine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back