Ext. trans filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was debating about installing a perma-cool standard remote trans filter kit in a Jeep with a 42re trans. The internal filter design is pretty much a rock stopper. However, I'm concerned about fluid flow when putting the kit inline with the ext. cooler.

I'm also concerned about winter operation, the fluid won't gel up in the filter will it? It is ATF+4 so I'm thinking no.

Never ran an ext. trans filter before looking for some input.

About the flow get a filter with a bypass valve . Usually the fram ph8a of the Wix 51515 [Ford filter is the type used. in most transmissions the oil that goes to the cooler from the torque converter just returns to the pan so I wouldn't worry about restricting the flow. There's not a whole lot of surface area to make a really big difference in the oil temps. I don't think there would be much more of a with cold than the oil running from the trans cooler. Where are you going to locate the filter?

The filter will be near the radiator, not directly behind but off on the side by the intake. Should I be concerned about filter temps during operation?

Greaser, I thought about the Magnefine filter as well although the perma-cool is attractive since it uses easy to get filters. Now that I think about it the Magnafine probably filters a lot better.

Are you running one on any of your current rigs? Any places you would recommend installing besides inline with ext cooler?

Thx for the input so far.

The Permacool setup is higher expense initially, but offers high capacity and cheaper replacements than the Magnefine. Magnefine offers convenient installation ..but a bit higher cost on replacement.

Both have their features and benefits ..and either of them are better than none.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back