Explain why "wide spread" multi vis is o.k. now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Third post this week. Must really be bored.

In the "old" days, it seems that a wide spread in multi viscosity was bad because of all of the VI improvers. Now it seems that you guys like the "wide spread" oils.

For instance, 10w30 was better than 10w40 because it(30) had less VI improvers(supposedly).

Now you guys are recommending 0 and 5w40.

What changed?

better base oils with better innate multi-vis character needing less VII's.

Fred..
smile.gif

quote:

Originally posted by palmerwmd:
better base oils with better innate multi-vis character needing less VII's.

Bingo. Higher VI base oils plus VI improvers have gotten better, too.

Hi,

doitmyself - well, I believe that the first true "wide" multigrade oil was Duckhams' 20w-50 intoduced in England around 1958
Prior to this Mobiloil Special was a 10w-30, Burmah's Castrol had "Castrolite" 20w-30

It was especially formulated for the BMC (Austin/Morris) Mini 850 that was released to the public in 1959. This vehicle had an integral engine/gearbox sump with common lubricant

This selection of oil recommendations may also interest you;

For 1941 Model US Cars
Oil grades for all Makes and Models

The most common recommendations for in-line 4, 6, 8cyl and V8, V12 follow;

Engine:
Over 32F = 0 or 20W ( highest 30 ), then some 90F> 30, 40 ( highest 50 )
Over 10F = 20W ( lowest 10W )
Over -10F = 10W
Below -10F = 10W ( plus 10% Kerosine - for all vehicles except Crosley )

Regards
Doug
cool.gif

Thank you gentlemen.

Doug, I know a few guys that still believe in using single weights in their new cars and tractors - "those multi weights contain plastic in them, and that's bad".

Tree Hugger - powermite;
Hi fellas,
I worked for NZMC ( a NZ owned subsidiary of BMC )and did two years in England in 1962 & 1963 as part of my training
I could not work in Longbridge because of the strikes in the Auto Industry at that time.
I did my "time" in Engineering there with Stewart & Ardern at The Vale in Acton

The by-pass hose on the "A" series engine was the worst of all. Three options for replacement exist;
1 - muck around for ??? time with a screwdriver etc
2 - lift the head
3 - take off the water pump

No 1 could be quick - or - combined with 2 or 3 could take ages!

One early task I had as a budding young Engineering Cadet was to help refine the first prototype export Morris Mini 850 in NZ in 1959

The synchros were an unresolved problem until Porsche style blocking synchros were introduced years later

I love Wales and SE England

Regards
cheers.gif

[ March 18, 2004, 06:10 PM: Message edited by: Doug Hillary ]

Even more memories!
BTW, it was the road through Bala, about 10 miles beyond the lake.
I've spent many a frustrated hour with that bypass hose!
And the reason I finally sold it was that the synchro was gone on 4th. Still drove fine, but it was a bit fussy in 3rd @ 80 mph.
Oh my, those years were fun!
cheers.gif

I used to use Duckham's Q 20W-50 in my '61 850 Mini. Thanks for the memory!
cheers.gif

I blew a lower radiator hose at high speed, high revs, one time on the backroads of Wales. The block was literally smoking hot when I stopped.
Hitched a ride with a local farmer to get a new hose, filled the coolant back up, and did another 40,000 miles before I sold it (still working).
Good oil, that Duckham's !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back