Explain Mobil 1 Truck/SUV Oil to me please.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am interested in the Mobil 1 5W-30 Truck/SUV oil in the 5 qt. jugs at Wal-mart. Can anyone tell me that oil will do, or contains, that is different than a regular Mobil 1 5W-30?

I am presently using PP 5W-30 with a Purolator Pureone with good results, but like to change things up from time to time. (you know how excited we get when it comes to researching oil types!)

Thanks!

Currently using:
2006 Jeep Liberty 3.7 PP 5w-30, Pureone
2005 Ford Ranger 3.0 Mobil 1 0W-30 AFE, Fram Extended Guard

Stay with PP much better oil at a much better price , the SUV is just plain old bad Mobil 1 with a different label.

Originally Posted By: 757guy
I am interested in the Mobil 1 5W-30 Truck/SUV oil in the 5 qt. jugs at Wal-mart. Can anyone tell me that oil will do, or contains, that is different than a regular Mobil 1 5W-30?

I am presently using PP 5W-30 with a Purolator Pureone with good results, but like to change things up from time to time. (you know how excited we get when it comes to researching oil types!)

Thanks!

Currently using:

The difference is that truck and SUV owners might pay more for a truck and SUV oil.

John

Originally Posted By: zddp77
Stay with PP much better oil at a much better price , the SUV is just plain old bad Mobil 1 with a different label.

Show me documented proof that a engine was destroyed for M1 oil! If not, please refrain from making noob/asinine statements like this.

Hey newbie lots of false info there you may want to check that before posting!!!!! you know [censored] !!

Yea do tell us how its "plain old bad M1"

Marketing would explain the difference pretty much. I'd stay with the PP myself.

Thanks!

Currently using:

Back to the OP question, there may not be too much of a difference but speculation is Mobil adjusted their standard 5W-30 oil formula and increased the boron, moly, and antioxidants to handle higher heat, higher load but know one knows for sure, this has been asked many times before

do a search in the UOA/VOA section and compare,i did once cant remember my findings tho,lol.

Originally Posted By: NightRiderQ45

Show me documented proof that a engine was destroyed for M1 oil! If not, please refrain from making noob/asinine statements like this.

I had massive consumption issues with Mobil 1 EP in my Toyota. Burned almost 2 quarts in 1k miles. Would have blown my engine if I did not check the oil religiously. It works fine in my other cars, but not in that one.

Originally Posted By: Robenstein

I had massive consumption issues with Mobil 1 EP in my Toyota. Burned almost 2 quarts in 1k miles. Would have blown my engine if I did not check the oil religiously.

Well thats your inferior engines fault not the oil,lay her out to paster or fix the problem,i can tow/haul every day in 90deg temps using 0w30 or any Mobil product in my 226,000 mile chev and not miss a drop, well maybe one.....

Just compare iron in UOA Mobil1 fill to iron in a PP fill. Make your own decisions as to which oil you want in your engine. I personally won't use Mobil1 unless I get it free and then only in my lawn mower.

Thanks!

Currently using:

PP is a excellent oil and will do as well as anything else.

Here is a search on Mobil 1 SUV oil

Spend some time looking over those results and you'll know more than you ever wanted to on that flavor of Mobil 1.
48.gif

Take care, Bill

I had massive consumption issues with Mobil 1 EP in my Toyota. Burned almost 2 quarts in 1k miles. Would have blown my engine if I did not check the oil religiously. It works fine in my other cars, but not in that one.

Do you really expect anyone here at BITOG to believe that EP causes your engine to use that much oil? Really??

This is another case of lame marketing. (which may mean $ good marketing) "SUV" oil? Give me a break. LOL

Wasn't it Valvoline that started this mess?

Actually the Mobil 1 T&SUV oil had a A5B5 rating that the regular Mobil 1 did not. I checked tonight on the Mobil website and both have the same rating so I really don't know what the difference is today without really digging deeper. To say their the same is not a fact based on the product data sheet only.

I believe there is some differance, but not much. Buster is right that marketing does play a role here for the truck and SUV buyers. At any rate both are great oils.

Originally Posted By: tig1

Do you really expect anyone here at BITOG to believe that EP causes your engine to use that much oil? Really??

I dont care what you guys think, and I am not the only one with consumption issues with Mobil 1 if you read around. All I know is I did the change, drove about 200 miles, and then went on a long trip for hunting trip, and when I came back the oil was black as heck and low. I decided to drain it and got just a little over 2 quarts out of it and what was in the filter (very small mobil m103). The car was a 06 Scion tC with under 40k miles on it. This is the only oil issue I have had with it. It never used any Pennzoil YB, Quaker State HP, or Valvoline Synpower. The current fill of Syntec 0w30 is showing no consumption issues either.

Like I said, in our GM cars I never had an issue with Mobil products and just did a Mobil 1 fill in a Buick for a friend the other day without any loss of confidence. My friends Subaru WRX has consumption issues with standard Mobil 1 as well.

Originally Posted By: daman

I had massive consumption issues with Mobil 1 EP in my Toyota. Burned almost 2 quarts in 1k miles. Would have blown my engine if I did not check the oil religiously.

Well thats your inferior engines fault not the oil,lay her out to paster or fix the problem,i can tow/haul every day in 90deg temps using 0w30 or any Mobil product in my 226,000 mile chev and not miss a drop, well maybe one.....

Maybe this guy and his "inferior engine" might have prevented the sludge from Mobil 1 had he replaced it along with his filter every 3 months/3k miles. Obviously Mobil 1 could not keep pace with this "inferior engine".

"Inferior engine" sludged with SUPERIOR Mobil 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back