Experts: Read these spark plugs :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
IDK if one can see anything on these plugs - But I am curious to know what the experts at BITOG think.

These came out of the beater Elantra (2003).
CAR has almost 220k miles.
PLUGS probably have about 70-80k miles. (EST)
These are OEM Champion SPs.

I replaced them today with OEM NGK plugs and wires and it was a bit of an ordeal but I think it's ok now..
see more about that here and add any comments you like:
SP replacement thread

Now the pics:

OLD (champion) vs NEW (NGK)

Last edited:
I'm going to say that the electrode's platinum pad on the two in the middle is worn down more than the outer two because the middle two were on the reversed polarity side of a waste spark system. Otherwise to me they look about as expected for about 80,000 miles.

Originally Posted By: xxch4osxx
Does it burn any oil? That kind of looks like a bit of ash deposits.

+1 I was thinking valve stem seals. An italian tuneup now and then might help too. But for 70k on plugs on a car with that mileage, not really a problem.

Last edited:
Thanks for the comments !!

Car doesn't burn/use any oil. But 2 of the SPs (probably the worst ones) did have a bit of oil on them. Just a BIT though.

Car runs 75% in-town, and very little highway. Probably about 1-2 hrs a week max. at speeds above 65 MPH.

It does look like some ash (oil) deposits, particularly on the two on the left
21.gif

Originally Posted By: CT8
The deposits are from the gasoline additives as well as the oil.

I didn't see any mention of additives in the OP
21.gif

Looks like in the lat picture you had the famous Champion plug porcelain cracking/separating. I had a Neon with the 2.0 SOHC that did that, would always cause a slight misfire. Never had that issue when I went to NGK's

Originally Posted By: 97tbird
IDK if one can see anything on these plugs - But I am curious to know what the experts at BITOG think.

These came out of the beater Elantra (2003).
CAR has almost 220k miles.
PLUGS probably have about 70-80k miles. (EST)
These are OEM Champion SPs.

I replaced them today with OEM NGK plugs and wires and it was a bit of an ordeal but I think it's ok now..
see more about that here and add any comments you like:

What specific plugs are the two champion/nhk?

What was the recommended mileage change for the champions? All I can say without knowing how the mileage change is that they look as if they should have been changed many miles ago.

http://www.aa1car.com/library/reading_spark_plugs.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Dexters

What specific plugs are the two champion/nhk?

What was the recommended mileage change for the champions?
http://www.aa1car.com/library/reading_spark_plugs.jpg

Champions were: RC10PYPB4 (old version, not with the gold colored top, and no "Brisk" lettering on plug)
NGK type is: G-Power BKR5EGP (7090)

I am not sure what the recommended life for the champions were.

Thanks for the cool chart!

I have had NGK came out of cars with approximately 150K and they looked *lot better* than those Champions!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back