"Experts" On this Board

Status
Not open for further replies.
And my post is a grammatical abomination
grin2.gif

ARG!

Too late to edit it now!

He's a one "hit and run" wonder, guys.

There's nothing to see here. Move along ..move along..
grin2.gif

btw-there are few here that are true experts. Most are experienced novices.

coolhand, tell your pals over in the oil filter division to stop cheaping out on the filters or price them accordingly and maybe we "haters" will get off frams back. Not likely, but maybe.

Maybe he actually works for Champion and is trying to give Fram a bad name. Of course, he would be largely preaching to the choir here on that.

so coolhand is from FRAM Marketing? hehehe. why wont coolhand discuss further his first hand experience with oil filter "bursts"? If the observations of member experiences are all inaccurate..youd think he would provide his own data disproving it!

While it is true that there are very few experts on this board including myself, there are many curious and ingenious board members who love to explore, test, share and expand their knowledge.

If companies were more up front and honest it would be much easier and we could be enlightened with "professional" information.

**But then again 99.9 % of the population doesn't know or care about test results and specs on this stuff so why should they cater to us? Because we are a little anal about this stuff!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: coolhand01

Due to my line of work (independent research lab).....

So this is basically a lie?

I guess we have us another so-called "expert" on this board!!!!!

LOL.gif
crackmeup2.gif
Idiot.

Originally Posted By: coolhand01
I'm amazed at all the so-called "experts" on this board. If I had a nickel for every misconception stated on here, I'd be a billionaire.

more pleats = better filter
more filter media better than less
paper end caps are garbage

...on and on and on

Due to my line of work (independent research lab), I've had access to in-depth filter testing on almost all major brands -- Wix, Fram, STP, Purolator, Champ, M1, and many more. And I'm not talking about tests like those done on those hokey websites many on here reference (the ones with filters cut open and the components laid out). I'm talking the real industry tests (ISO 4548-12, burst, etc.). If you guys only knew how poorly some of your favorite brands performed you'd be shocked. Not to say there aren't people on here who have the facts much straighter than most, but even those guys are way off base many times.

For those of you on here truly looking for some insight into which filters perform best, please don't pay much credence to things posted on this board, as you will be left completely misinformed and your engine will hate you for it.

Funny how you have access to all this advanced research and none of it is published for anyone to read. We have to do our "hokey" research on filters because none of the major brands publish their data for peer-review or public consumption, they just rely on their "marketeers" to give us information. Let's see some of your data to back up your claims. I think you're just biased and you don't like what you read here because it goes against your preconceived notions.

Must be like when Castrol switched to Group III synthetic basestocks without disclosure, but their marketers kept telling us how superior Syntec was. No wonder we don't trust the major labels without independent verification.

Originally Posted By: ZZman
At least Wix gives some usable information about their filters.

As do Donaldson and Fleetguard. Seems to be much more common in the land of Diesel.

Think he is trying to get our goat?......not happening.....:)

He is a marketing man...not a researcher or engineer.

I'd bet he has no engineering experience or schooling either.

If he thinks FRAM (or some other brand) is so good, then maybe he should give us all the technical data to prove so.

Oh, I forgot ... it's "propriatary data".
wink.gif
LOL.gif

I guess he is speechless. I posted a picture of a very obviously defective Fram and he hasn't said anything to defend it.

Once again I suppose most filter manufacturers don't feel the need to post any filter information because 99.9% of the population would not care to know or understand what any of the data meant. They will change their oil at 3,000 miles and will trade their cars and not drive them into the ground and care how long the engine lasts.

Last edited:
Once again I suppose most filter manufacturers don't feel the need to post any filter information because 99.9% of the population would not care to know or understand what any of the data meant. They will change their oil at 3,000 miles and will trade their cars and not drive them into the ground and care how long the engine lasts.

That's true.

But I've come to also realize that the filter manufacture's will not divulge much technical info if asked. They claim it's "proprietary data" which I tend to call B.S. on because any other filter manufacture can buy their filters and cut them open to see how they are built, and also do any kind of performance tests on them they so desire. You can bet that the big filter makers have test labs that can be used to checkout any of their competitor's filters.

For instance, I tried to get flow vs. psid performance for the PureONE from Purolator, but they wouldn't say anything about the flow rate performance. Is it because they are afraid it has substandard performance? If not, why not brag about the performance it is going to help sell filters?
21.gif

here's a newbie question....do all oil filters have end caps? what is the reason an oil filter needs an end cap? does an end cap serve a specific function?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back