Experimenting with oil for my M3

Status
Not open for further replies.
I used the recommended castrol TWS for a while in my M3 (s65 engine) and recently switched to M1 0w40 a few oil changes ago. UOAs have been good with the M1 but I have been thinking about a different combination...

What do you guys think of running a 50/50 mix of castrol TWS and castrol 0w40? Any reason it would be a bad idea to mix these two? I'm wondering if it could be the goldilocks "perfect" mix of cold start and operating temp protection. Thanks for any input!

You shouldn't need to. Just use one or the other.

Ultimately your mixing 2 good oils that both have there advantages to one oil that has no real advantage.

Originally Posted By: gatorfast
I'm wondering if it could be the goldilocks "perfect" mix of cold start and operating temp protection. Thanks for any input!

From what I've read on here, Xw-40 provides all the operating temp protection you need in this car. But if you're worried, instead of mixing two different oils, you could just run M1 5w-50, although it might be slightly more difficult to find than M1 0w-40.

You haven't mentioned what you maximum oil temp's are but for street use M1 0W-40 is a good choice and is somewhat heavier in terms of it's high temp' viscosity than Castrol 0W-40 so I'd stick with it.

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
You haven't mentioned what you maximum oil temp's are but for street use M1 0W-40 is a good choice and is somewhat heavier in terms of it's high temp' viscosity than Castrol 0W-40 so I'd stick with it.

My oil temps have been consistent between the two oils...right around 210F operating temp. Although the 0w40 does come up to operating temp faster.

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM

My oil temps have been consistent between the two oils...right around 210F operating temp. Although the 0w40 does come up to operating temp faster.

That's pretty typical for a street driven M3 in the summer months.
You definitely don't need to run anything heavier than what you are now and if you want to
try Castrol 0W-40 go ahead.

Originally Posted By: toneydoc
Roll Tide Roll

This coming from someones whose location is "war eagle"? Gator boys are taking down the gumps this weekend.

I used the recommended castrol TWS for a while in my M3 (s65 engine) and recently switched to M1 0w40 a few oil changes ago. UOAs have been good with the M1 but I have been thinking about a different combination...

What do you guys think of running a 50/50 mix of castrol TWS and castrol 0w40? Any reason it would be a bad idea to mix these two? I'm wondering if it could be the goldilocks "perfect" mix of cold start and operating temp protection. Thanks for any input!

Definitely don't mix the two oils. The Castrol TWS is a unique product, likely to be totally different from the M1 0W40. Although technically all oils are miscible and compatible, by mixing oils with different chemistry, you are not gaining anything but likely loosing out on any of the specific advantages of the additive packs of each respective product.

Choose your viscosity and run with it. Nice car BTW! Other forum members with M vehicles have been successfully running 0W40 if it makes you feel better
wink.gif

Roll Tide Roll

This coming from someones whose location is "war eagle"? Gator boys are taking down the gumps this weekend.

Anyone needs lesson in last second touchdown?

Roll Tide Roll

Your ding dang right they are! Go Gators!

By mixing oils you upset the finely balanced formulation which will lower it's performance. Additive packages are finely tuned and balanced, take one component out and it has a knock on effect on the rest.

Choose one or the other.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back