Experience with the Ram 3.0 diesel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Long term ownership is the goal so reliability and/ or any quirks I can fix in a weekend while out of warranty is fine with me. Just as the title says, anyone have any experience with one? I'm mainly concerned with rust issues and about all the emissions bells and whistles that come with current diesels.

It'd be the wife's for now and only see about 15-20 mins of commuting one way. Is this an issue with a diesel? I've always had the understanding that they like some good highway runs all the time. It'd just see highway drives on the weekends unless I need it during the week.

Obviously unrelated to the diesel, but I do like Dodges styling on later models and the rear coil springs for a nicer ride is a plus. I do know earlier models had issues with rust, but I've been told the 2015-2017 (?) models are better?

Thanks for any input everyone.

I have experience with the 5.7 and 3.6, but I can't speak on the reliability of the 3.0, but I think a good longer highway drive once a week should be plenty for it.

Are you aiming for new or used? New body style or the "classic" one? Unless you need or want the torque, I'd go with the 3.6 Pentastar IMO. I have a bone to pick against the 5.7, so I'm a bit biased there.

Over on Fuelly, 2017 ram's are showing 19mpg for the 3.6, 15.5 for the 5.7, and 22 for the 3.0 diesel.

I'm a semi mechanic. My tip is to never idle and warm the truck before driving it. People think it's something you just do when having a diesel and it didn't affect older units, but it does on modern ones.
In fact, we have terminal trucks that still run on diesel, the trucks that move trailers around a UPS sort hub. The Autocar brand and Ottawa shifters both have a 6.7 Cummins.
The Autocar wont let you set the brake, put it in neutral and keep running after 3 minutes if the truck doesn't move. So a yard shift driver cant leave it running while he/she goes to lunch or break.
The Ottawa allows you to leave it running. The Ottawa despite having the same engine, has more emissions issues we deal with.

I guess if you wanna plug up the DOC and DPF, let your truck warm up for awhile before driving it. And a 15-20 drive on top of that isn't enough time to do a regen.
Modern diesels are a bad idea for short trippers.

My advice? Don't buy it unless your a fan of diesels and willing to accept the potential cost of owning one. The Ram 1500 V6 gas engine is an efficient truck and with the price spread between gas and diesel and adding DEF, the diesel
isn't any cheaper to run. You can buy DEF at the pump a little cheaper at truck stops BTW.

Personally, I'd avoid the Ecodiesel until the engineering & assembly issues are sorted out.

If you like the later Ram truck styling, I'd go gasser or Cummins.

I've got the 2.8 VM engine in this older Jeep but of course it doesn't have all the emission stuff the newer ones do.

[Linked Image from fototime.com]

Thanks guys.

I have no issues with the V6 or V8. I currently have nothing that really requires a V8 towing wise minus my tractor, but thinking long term, something that can handle my tractor, single car trailer, boat etc is a good idea.

My brother has the pentastar in his Wrangler it's quite the beast IMO. I realize it'd behave differently in a pickup, but it's been good nonetheless.

Originally Posted by atikovi
I've got the 2.8 VM engine in this older Jeep but of course it doesn't have all the emission stuff the newer ones do.

Impressive mileage. 2004Ish Liberty with the Renault diesel? My parents looked at those back in the day. I remember the torque.

How's it been reliability wise?

Why bother with a diesel for this application. I personally don't think it's worth the headache. If one of your concerns is rust the gas motor will outlive the frame rust. 20 minute commute not saving much on fuel.

The reasons for a diesel have changed now; MPG is no longer as gas gives you about the same, longevity with all the crap attached to it is doubtful (in small truck) so the only reasons to get a diesel are:

1) Pulling power (torque) if you need to pull there is no alternative.
2) You're on a farm and have access to farm diesel
crazy.gif

Originally Posted by dlundblad
Long term ownership is the goal so reliability and/ or any quirks I can fix in a weekend while out of warranty is fine with me.

Dodge is so notorious for discontinuing parts on vehicles that are not even that old. I couldn't image owning one long term.

Originally Posted by dlundblad
Originally Posted by atikovi

Impressive mileage. 2004Ish Liberty with the Renault diesel? My parents looked at those back in the day. I remember the torque.

How's it been reliability wise?

It's made by VM Motori just like the 3.0. I got it with those miles so can't say anything about reliability.

You'll be better off with the 3.6, even if you take a long trip every week to take care of it you'll never realize cost savings especially versus the 3.6. I can attest the 3.6 runs well in a Ram, if going for the classic body just get the 3.55 axle gearing and limited slip.

We sold ours at a loss as the short tripping my wife did to work during the winter months caused insanely frequent regens. It was incredibly good on fuel though, and the power was surprisingly good. I've got a thread on the truck here if you want me to find it. One of the guys at work recently got a 2020 or 2019 Classic with the EcoDiesel at work and so we'll see how that goes. It will get lots of trips into the GTA, so I wouldn't expect short tripping to be a big issue for him.

Not 3.0L diesel related, but I very much love my 2017 Ram 1500 with the pentastar. The ride is fantastic and it's economical for a pickup.

Based on the reading I've done on the diesel. The only way I'd own one is if it was a screaming deal and myself or someone I knew could work on it.

I have a 2016 Limited 4x4 with the Hemi...getting 16.7 combined which is pretty good beings I don't try to achieve the most MPG. I was considering the Eco-D but decided against it based on reading bad reviews on it. I did not see it as a risk I was willing to take for a few MPG's and less overall capability and power.

I have both, just not together: 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Ecodiesel and 2016 Ram 1500 3.6.
Surprisingly, zero issues with the Grand Cherokee including the diesel motor. 102k miles since new.

I think all the issues were sorted out with that motor by 2017-2018.
Mileage is great, no doubt.

My Ram 1500 3.6 is exactly 5 mpg (city or hwy) real world difference from the same truck with Ecodiesel.
( I borrowed a friends 2018 Ram 1500 4x4 Ecodiesel for a week and drive the same routes)

When I replace the GC, I will probably go to gas 3.6. Not worth the extra $$$ for the diesel for my needs.

No rust issues on either vehicles. They do use salt/brine here in Northern Nevada.

Agree with a previous post: if you go 3.6 gas, get 3.55 gears.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back