Experience with auto A/C parts brands?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pbm

My daughters 2006 Focus apparently needs a new AC compressor (and of course the condenser, receiver drier and orifice tube would be changed too...if I decide on having it done)....I'm already several hundred dollars into this as I've had the system evacuated and recharged twice ...once to find the leak (after spending $ to diagnose a bad resistor)...and again after replacing the (leaky) hose from the compressor to the receiver/dryer...

RockAuto sells a complete kit made by UAC (Chinese) and also 4Seasons (Some parts made in Mexico, some in USA, some in China).

Does anybody have experience with the cheaper UAC brand? Good or Bad?
A guy on the Focus forum advised using an OE hose because of leaks (at the connector) that he experienced using UAC hoses.....I'm wondering if this is an omen or just a bad experience?

Isn't there a Denso compressor available for about the same price? That's the only brand I'd ever consider using unless there was no other choice.

What about Denso products for the remaining items?

There's a Denso on RockAuto for the same price.

No way I'd put an OEM one on an old Focus.

Denso, Nissens, or Motorcraft

If you go with Motorcraft, get the "OE design" not the "high level" service design

Thanks guys....if I do it...I'll probably use the Denso....The labor to redo the job because of bad parts would make it a costly mistake.... maybe I'll use the UAC condenser and receiver/dryer since they aren't 'moving parts'......

I have experience with Denso and it is providing excellent service three years after install.

I have experience with 4-Seasons and it too is providing excellent service four years after install.

I have purchased Nissens condensers and accumulator/receiver/driers and they have had adaptability issues. All of them have required some form of modification to get them to fit. Otherwise they've worked as designed.

The only thing I suggest you avoid is buying a remanufactured component. Buy new if possible with no specific suggestion for brand name.

Agree about Denso. Have a denso compressor from a camry on my mr2 for the r134a conversion. Works great. They seem to be the most, across the board, good compressor maker out there.

Originally Posted By: MONKEYMAN
I had a re-manufacturer 4Seasons installed on my Saturn. It lasted 4 Seasons and the coil failed.
You got a good one. Most rebuilds don't make it around the block.

I read that the Denso compressor is made in South Korea...I like that better than China...for a number of reasons....

Originally Posted By: zzyzzx
If I lived in Texas or Florida, I might be picky about my A/C parts, but since I don't I just buy cheap NEW parts off eBay and so far so good.

I hear you....although NY often gets just as hot/humid as Texas and Florida....the AC isn't used 12 months a year.

If I decide to go ahead with this job next spring (new compressor, condenser and receiver/dryer) I'll use the Denso parts for only a few dollars more....

How many hours labor would a shop charge for changing out these 3 parts?
I'm wondering if a new evaporator is needed while I'm at it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back