Experience with aftermarket tire pressure sensors?

Hi,
Anyone have experience with adding those aftermarket tire pressure sensors. They usually consists of a cap that goes on the value and solar power central unit that displays the pressure and sound an alarm for min and max. They often monitor temperature, too.

1. How accurate are they?
2. Is there a issue with caps being too heavy that it causes the wheel to become unbalance or damaged the valve stem from the rotation?
3. How long does the battery last?

I bought an aftermarket system that uses Ford TPMS sensors inside the tire and plugs into the cigarette lighter. Works well and I think was made by Huf. The screw on the valve stem type seem like a hassle.

Thanks, it turns out all cars in the US has TPMS after 2007. The reason this question came up is because my mom called and the mechanic indicated that her rear tires are worn prematurely due to under-inflation. I was going to install an aftermarket device so she can get the warning, but I am guessing that the on-board TPMS only give visual warning, It's also possible that the mechanic is lying, but he has been ok in the past.

I think II will need to have my sister look at it when she is not busy. I live several states away and can't do this physically.

Thanks, it turns out all cars in the US has TPMS after 2007. The reason this question came up is because my mom called and the mechanic indicated that her rear tires are worn prematurely due to under-inflation. I was going to install an aftermarket device so she can get the warning, but I am guessing that the on-board TPMS only give visual warning, It's also possible that the mechanic is lying, but he has been ok in the past.

I think II will need to have my sister look at it when she is not busy. I live several states away and can't do this physically.
Make sure that the TPMS are calibrated correctly or else they may not give a warning, also, I imagine, you can select to have the pressure show on the dashboard as I do on my RX350, tgat way one knows at a glance the tire pressure.

Back