Expensive Tailights

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by supton

I'm not sure that they are "made" (aka designed) to be outrageously expensive after a certain date. That implies that they are trying to do that. I think it just happens that way. I'm sure we could rattle off a bunch of 70's vintage, maybe 80's vintage vehicles which are in the same boat, parts no longer available. It happens--if there is demand, the aftermarket will step up and fill it. There's always someone willing to make a buck, after all.

I do think today that the mfrs are designing in planned obsolescence in very specific ways which includes making complicated electronic modules that when they fail cost a fortune to replace...

Originally Posted by Ws6
A manual transmission 1994-2002 Mustang GT was pretty darn reliable. Parts are ubiquitous, as well. The same goes for the GM 3800 powered vehicles like the Grand Am and Grand Prix, etc.
... By reliable, I mean you could expect 100K trouble free miles, and maintenance being minor thereafter.

This is the opposite of my experience. I had 3 GM's (different model years spanning a decade) with the 3800 and all 3 had an intake manifold problem before 100K mi. I saw some estimates that it was typical at 50K mi and GM did replace some through a TSB (not sure if it was a recall). The first two just had gasket leaks but the last one darn near hydrolocked and ruined the engine when the plastic got brittle from EGR gas and cracked apart at the throttle body coolant passage.

They'd be great engines if not for that. The funny thing is that GM knew and tried fixes but didn't get it right, instead even moving from the original metal intake manifold to plastic to compound the problem. At least they got a few more HP out of the plastic intake but I'll take running over dead but used to be more powerful, any day.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Traction
..a couple cheap LED trailer lights are like $50, which I actually have on my Camaro, with $8 headlight.
Beautiful car!

Originally Posted by bdcardinal
Originally Posted by wtd
At one time, the tail lights on my 14 Mustang were over a $1,000 a piece. I think they may have come down some. I'm not sure on the head lights but I think they were pretty expensive too.

The headlamp assemblies are around $900ea and the taillamps are around $672ea.

I didn't realize that the head lights were more expensive. Do these headlights have replaceable bulbs of some sort or does the entire assembly need to be changed out when they burn out?

Originally Posted by wtd
Originally Posted by bdcardinal
Originally Posted by wtd
At one time, the tail lights on my 14 Mustang were over a $1,000 a piece. I think they may have come down some. I'm not sure on the head lights but I think they were pretty expensive too.

The headlamp assemblies are around $900ea and the taillamps are around $672ea.

I didn't realize that the head lights were more expensive. Do these headlights have replaceable bulbs of some sort or does the entire assembly need to be changed out when they burn out?

The bulb is low/high beam bulb is a D3S and there is a serviceable amber bulb with a p/n of DR3Z-13466-A but it does not give the industry number, I will check at work tomorrow.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Dave9
Originally Posted by Ws6
A manual transmission 1994-2002 Mustang GT was pretty darn reliable. Parts are ubiquitous, as well. The same goes for the GM 3800 powered vehicles like the Grand Am and Grand Prix, etc.
... By reliable, I mean you could expect 100K trouble free miles, and maintenance being minor thereafter.

This is the opposite of my experience. I had 3 GM's (different model years spanning a decade) with the 3800 and all 3 had an intake manifold problem before 100K mi. I saw some estimates that it was typical at 50K mi and GM did replace some through a TSB (not sure if it was a recall). The first two just had gasket leaks but the last one darn near hydrolocked and ruined the engine when the plastic got brittle from EGR gas and cracked apart at the throttle body coolant passage.

They'd be great engines if not for that. The funny thing is that GM knew and tried fixes but didn't get it right, instead even moving from the original metal intake manifold to plastic to compound the problem. At least they got a few more HP out of the plastic intake but I'll take running over dead but used to be more powerful, any day.

GM did finally fix those issues with the Series III 3800, Too little too late for many that had issues though

On the topic of expensive tail light assemblies....Just fixed some on a 2016 GMC Yukon. The thin metal strips that connect the LED's to each other in series were cracked on both lamps. IIRC....They were about $750 a piece from GM. I cut them open & repaired the breaks buy soldering some stranded copper to the metal strips to jump the breaks.

Originally Posted by clinebarger
On the topic of expensive tail light assemblies....Just fixed some on a 2016 GMC Yukon. The thin metal strips that connect the LED's to each other in series were cracked on both lamps. IIRC....They were about $750 a piece from GM. I cut them open & repaired the breaks buy soldering some stranded copper to the metal strips to jump the breaks.

I would be more interested in how you resealed the tail lights in such a way that that they will not fall apart and keep moisture out long term.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back