Expected mileage on GM truck fuel pumps 2007 and up

That's a long time on a pump. A fuel pump is one of the mission critical parts on a car. Like a cam belt when it fails you are high and dry. I'd change it just for peace of mind but only if it were external to the fuel tank. Dropping the tank on some vehicles is too much of a pia for a functioning pump as blufeb95 notes; " it could last until you send it to the scrap yard".

Did a Delphi on my daughter's Lesabre @ 154XXX. Forgot where I found online that it is an "expected repair" around 150K. If so, hers went almost on schedule. Her 04 Lesabre has an access panel in the trunk, it wasn't that hard.

The 2007-2014 Suburban requires dropping the tank unfortunately. A1-Auto has a good video on it and the video itself is 35 minutes long. It didn’t look like much fun. Lots of cheap plastic clips on the hoses and electrical connecters. Very little space to get your hands in place to get the connectors undone.

Last edited:
The fuel pump at this point should be replaced in your vehicle as a preventive measure. Its on borrowed time and will NOT fail when it's convenient for you.

Typical fuel pump module style pumps usually last 120,000-150,000mi. That type of mileage is impressive since I've only seen import fuel pumps last a hair above 200,000mi.

Usually right after the warranty ends. All trucks are like this. My F-250 has two tanks and on one the sending unit has failed. I priced pumps and the OEM unit is hundreds of dollars(Mexico or China) and the ones on eBay from China are like 59.00. It should be fun tipping the bed up and doing this work in the future. for now they both work. I use MM oil to help lubricate the pumps and make me think it's helping everything out. Maybe cutting a hatch in the bed over the pumps would be a long term idea.

My pump gave me advanced warning that it was getting weak by not starting on the first twist of the key quite a few times so I preemptively replaced it at 218,000 miles. I always fill up at 1/2 tank and currently at 224,000 with the new pump, it starts instantly the first time every time.

Last edited:
The GMT900 platform doesn't really have a history of fuel pump failures.
This is sound, no questions asked. ^^^

I own a previous GMT-800 gen truck. When she rolled over 175k, I did replace the fuel sending module entirely as cheap insurance after I found her down on fuel pressure by a few pounds.

But rather than drain a full tank and try to manage where 27+ gallons of gas were to go?

I reached up under the driver's side rear bumper and disconnected the body-tail lamp and trailer harness plugs. I loosened up the passenger side bed bolts to within 4 turns of falling out. I removed all 4 bolts on on the bed on the driver's side.

Remove the tailgate to lighten your load. I trimmed a 2x4 just short enough to tuck in on the rear wheel well that was just enough to wedge under the beds fender well and frame rail when you grab the side of the bed and lift it up.

This gives you complete top- down access to the lock ring on the tank, the cannister vent valve and the canister itself while having a fully hot and heavy tank of gas in place. Easy fuel sender, strainer sock, and level gage access. Replacement pump in my situation had upgraded wire harness, so there was a bit of chop, paste and crimp involved with marine splices that shrink and cement themselves with a very careful use of a heat gun.

Not going to lie, despite the bed tilt and prop, it's still a real tight squeeze. But it beats the tail off the Llama and can be done with truck flat on the ground without lifts and jacks or having to pump and store fuel.

Finish the job with replacing any external fuel filters (if equipped) and a new pressure regulator on the rail in engine bay.

If it's a returnless fuel system (just the one pipe into the fuel rail w/o return to the tank) there is no inline filter to change. The magic is entirely in the fuel sending unit. AFAIK.

As others stated, can't really worry about it until it fails. And when it does?

It will do so after you just filed it up. ;>

I'm telling you the number of stories I have heard from people who need a new pump replacement right after their warranty ends could fill books. The parts and labor are not cheap. I bet if you priced various parts on your newer vehicle you would be shocked at the prices. Someone will drive your new vehicle after the warranty ends and need parts.

Back