Expand the GC Forum to include all Euro-made oils?

Status
Not open for further replies.
As I was saying, GC is old news. The German Castrol GC VOA is done. Everyone who wants some Castrol 0w-30 knows where to get it and it's not likely still to be the sweet green elixer anyway. There are a lot of Euro drivers on the Forum, but not a lot of European-made oils being tried and discussed. We can do BitOG a service by including these Euro-made oils here and expanding the knowledge base on them. The reasons they need their own Forum is obvious...most BitOGers won't want to use or discuss them. Also, the info from mfgs and users is scarce. So, why not open up to include more brands? Instead of European Union, sort of an "Elf Union". All the "where to get" posts that would be shunned on the regular forum will be welcomed here.

Here are the Euro-made brands that come to mind:

Castrol GC (SLX), GC Gold (Longtec), BC (BMW?), Formula RS (BMW)

Mobil 5w-50

Elf

Motul

Fuchs

Total

Agip

Pentosin

Shell Helix

If the Elves all agree, how about moving old threads on these oils here and even a Forum rename to include them all?

Bad idea?

I think that is a GREAT idea!! I have been very interested in Pentosin 5w40 or possibly the 10w40 syn blend for my Passat, but there is not much info on it. It would be nice to have a place to share ideas about these thicker oils that some of our European cars like!! Let's do it.
smile.gif

I've flirted with the idea of using Pentosin 5w40 in my VW GTI 1.8T. It would be very nice to have a forum dedicated entirely to Euro oils.

A great idea, indeed AJ!
smile.gif

In order to not dilute the GC oil forum, how about the first forum, Car and truck oil, Domestic Oils. Then after that another oil forum labeled, All Euro/Foreign made oils. Maybe someone could suggest a better title.

cheers.gif

quote:

Originally posted by LVHospiceRN:
BLASPHEMY!!!!!!!!!!!

The Elves are NOT smiling...

darrell
sin city

Now...now,...LV...the diminutive ones are not rebelling...after all this would allow a spotlight to be shown on an oil with a name quite special to them: Elf. We have their blessing...but they are partial to Euro oils or Euro spec'd oils...
cool.gif

Whoops. I guess it's not PC to forget that Canadian is indeed "Imported". Yes, maybe Esso -w- XD shoud be here too. I was just trying to keep it simple..the Esso traffic and following has been vast here, while the "other than GC" Euro oils do not get the traffic they should. Anyway, you guys should decide amoung yourselves where the Canadian oil should be covered. The more I think about it, Euro oils as a subject has been lacking in coverage here. We always reference them and some guy will be there to say, "I tried it (once)"...and it rarely progresses beyond that. We need much more coverage of the "where to get it" stuff, I have heard of great prices on Motul. We, as a group, should be in the hard-core of exotic oil users. The only ones I can think of now are to ultra-uptight-unlimited budget-exotic car owners. I'd love to try all these oils, like a fine wine sampler. Pentosin-bam! Good stuff! I saw a reply here about Elf racing oil and a poster authorative claimed RL and some other were much better. Well, Elf does some serious race apps and I doubt the poster really knew the difference.

[ June 29, 2005, 08:02 PM: Message edited by: Audi Junkie ]

To continue- I don't know if oils that simply carry Euro specs need a seperate forum. That would include such gems as SUPERTECH SYNTH 10w-30 and Delo. This area should be more oriented toward Euro-made oils. Some are more available than others, that's part of the intrigue that GC has, appealing to the Hunter-Gatherer in us.

So a typical post would be like: "Has anyone tried Motul in a 1.8t who used GC before and can compare them?" or "was warranty ever denied on a BMW due to non-BMW brand, but still w/BMW LL-1 spec oil?".

Nice, I think we have something here. A direct link to a Euro-made oil Forum would attract LOTS of new users. Hopefully a sponsor will be waiting with an inventory of these oils. I know at least one place that specializes in these and maybe they would become a sponsor, lots of traffic here. Maybe as a curtosey to the Forum, we can skip the "where to get" posts for a while. I know that annoyed the adm before. Let's just enjoy as the Elves welcome the Elfs.

PS I still think old posts on these Euro-made brands should be moved here. That will juice things up and make the Forum "whole". It seems like a PITA, so I will at least make up a link page of posts that have some merit and include them under their name brands. ie- "Here are the links to various Motul posts...Elf", etc. (Elf will take some doing as there are a lot of spurious "Elf" posts here for some reason.
wink.gif

quote:

Originally posted by pscholte:

quote:

BLASPHEMY!!!!!!!!!!!

darrell
sin city

Now...now,...LV...the diminutive ones are not rebelling...after all this would allow a spotlight to be shown on an oil with a name quite special to them: Elf. We have their blessing...but they are partial to Euro oils or Euro spec'd oils...
cool.gif

OH NO, NOT YOU TOO PSCHOLTE!!!!!!!!!!!!!
spaz.gif

BOBISTHEOILGUY » Car And Truck Lubrication » GC & Euro/Import Oils » Expand the GC Forum to include all Euro-made oils?

Wow, this is cool. Great idea Audi Junkie, this post should be stickied at least for a little while so people know what's up if they don't frequent the forums too much, but just an idea.

Thank you BITOG administrators/moderators.

How about BITOG/Import-Euro Oils. Then have sub-threads on Pentosin, Agip, GC etc? There are not that many Euro oils availible here so having sub-threads shouldn't take up a whole lot of room, but at the same time retain the integrity of this long running a passion filled GC forum/thread. I think GC or an equivalent will continue. It may not be what we have, want, or need, but lubricants will continue to evolve.

quote:

quote:

Originally posted by pscholte:

quote:

BLASPHEMY!!!!!!!!!!!

darrell
sin city

cool.gif

OH NO, NOT YOU TOO PSCHOLTE!!!!!!!!!!!!!
spaz.gif

(Excuse me, I need to have a private
wink.gif
conversation with darrell.)

darrell,

You know me...if the Elves had not been OK with this, I would not have supported it...but they know the Elixer can stand the heat from any competitor so they are just fine with it...really...its all true...by the way, they asked me to send a special message to you..."Do you believe in Magic?"...oh, and they wanted you to have this:
 -

Oils for European car specs?? Something like that?

Oil is so international, that we really don't always know anything about origin, other than who blended or bottled it.

Just a suggestion to split it up based on specs.
dunno.gif

Any bets that Amsoil XL isn't Petro Canada with a Euro add pak and international components? Others do this.

We think of Exxon/Mobil as USA, but look at all the Euro cars it's spec'd for.

FTR- I'm not super-hyped on Euro oils. As a group, we all might be above spending more than necessary on a lube product. It reminds me of the Z-oil test, nice info to know for hard-cores and industry people, but not critical for most drivers. Exotic and exclusive, these lubes are generally consumed by rich dudes in high-end cars. Now on the other hand, if the performance justifies it, most of us guys would be happy to part with a coupla bucks for a premium oil and the extended drains they can offer. Better than GC? Probally not. Better than domestic Syntec, more than likely. Here is at least a starting point, where direct comparisons are encouraged and can be rigorously examined.

quote:

Originally posted by Audi Junkie:
FTR- I'm not super-hyped on Euro oils. As a group, we all might be above spending more than necessary on a lube product. It reminds me of the Z-oil test, nice info to know for hard-cores and industry people, but not critical for most drivers. Exotic and exclusive, these lubes are generally consumed by rich dudes in high-end cars. Now on the other hand, if the performance justifies it, most of us guys would be happy to part with a coupla bucks for a premium oil and the extended drains they can offer. Better than GC? Probally not. Better than domestic Syntec, more than likely. Here is at least a starting point, where direct comparisons are encouraged and can be rigorously examined.

AJ,

For those who haven't already picked up on it I AM super-hyped on Euro oils, in part, because I honestly think they are better. There are those who will tell you they aren't better, they are just different. I disagree and am sincerely hoping that this forum, over time, will make that indisputably clear. My logic on the cost...there are probably very few people on this board who don't have some item or interest for which they are willing to pay more than they have to because they like...believe in...or prefer the more expensive option over the cheaper. If I am getting better engine protection while satisfying my preference, well...for me...it is a win-win.

Yeah, cost is no object for the 1-2 car maintainers. Problem for me is that I keep a bunch of family and friends cars oil serviced, so I have to budget and make the most of the money I ask them for or spend out of my own pocket. I think there should be a thread on exactly what you said and the counterpoint of budget/fleet/availability issues. Face it, a lot of the Euro Oil Junkies have a big stash already, so progress on newer brands might be slow. Of the bunch, Fuchs looks interesting though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back