Exotic pets

Status
Not open for further replies.
 -
Click here if the image doesn't show up

I think I'll pass...

my last exotic pet was a lovely girl "Elgtraaron Taas Kehlie".

That's the sort of thing I was expecting here.

Not some thing missing 62 legs.

Ugh! That's the kind of thing I only want to see at the zoo. I certainly would never want one crawling down my arm. Besides, my idea of a pet is something that is capable of showing affection. I don't think this meets that criteria.

I think that is Ethmostigmus rubripes, but since there are thousands of species I could be wrong.

"venom granules are concentrated in intracellular secretory granules, from which they are discharged into vacuoles in the cytoplasm of the secretory cells and thereafter by exocytosis into the lumen of the gland. A venom duct carries venom to the venom claw, which introduces it into prey via a subterminal pore on the outer curvature of the claw. Pits containing pegs, presumed to be sensory, are concentrated near grooves leading to a cutting ridge proximal to the point of the claw. The venom is toxic both to mammals and insects. A bite from the Giant Centipede may cause severe pain that could persist for several days. However, no deaths have been recorded."
- From The National Center for Biotechnology Information.

Then its brothers, sisters and cousins will visit you while you are peacfully dreaming of fluffy bunnies. You'll need a lightsaber to kill it. That centipede reminds me of the critters Zam Wessel, the female assassin and shape shifter, let into Padme's room at night. I'm a geek!
wink.gif

That is just gawdawful. I'm pretty sure my wife would have a canniption [sp?] fit if she saw one of those things in the house! I also wouldn't be pleased.

I wonder how much DNA we share with the critter?

8th-cousin thrice removed?

Offspring would likely be sterile.

I hope.

Invertebrate are missing a number of genes found in humans. Even if one of those critters has her way with you, don't fear any freaky offspring!
tongue.gif

If I were a kid again and wanted a pet, I'd say...

Mom, can I have a dog?

(no)

Well how about an ant farm?

(okay)

Shows her.
grin.gif

Make sure they're African driver ants -- with almost two-inch long bodies. Don't let them get out, they'll eat your cat, your dog, maybe even you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back