Exhaust flexpipe question

Not entire sure on how it is made up, but the outside has a metal weave wrapped around it. When that weave rots out, is the end nigh for the flexpipe?

I had mine replaced less than 2 years ago but while under the car yesterday I found a big chunk missing. Don't think it's leaking (it was obvious last time when it quit) but not sure if that is something else to prepare for.

I'm guessing it was cheap. Not sure I am going to be happy, it was $220 IIRC, for it to go out 2 years later... is cheaper than a car payment I know, but annoying all the same.

Reactions: JC1
Mine came off the Pilot over 2 years ago. Still no leak or noise.

Replacement only lasted 2 years? Perhaps this is one of those, "use only OEM" parts.

It depends on the material used to make the flexpipe. I've seen 300-series stainless steel and Inconel used for the thin bellows. They still suffer from corrosion fatigue and fail. The weave is just armoring for rock damage. Unfortunately, it also traps corrodants. I used to analyze tested pieces for an automotive company.

Dried out enough today to get under for a pic. Looks like I had it replaced end of August 2017 (so 1 year 8 months) link. I can see in this pic that it is leaking oil onto the flexpipe, which isn't helping--I tried to remove the oil pan yesterday, broke it loose but the darn exhaust was in the way, so it's going to leak but good now.

[Linked Image]

Read specs carefully when shopping-- the (cheap) stainless ones go for the same price as the lame rust-o-matic ones.

I've had nearly new cheap ones fail when articulating the exhaust slightly beyond stock, removing hangers to weld the top of the cat or something similar.

I'd run what you've got until it goes!

$200 to install a flex pipe is rather expensive. It runs around $100 here in Canada and the part is about $20 off the shelf in the auto parts store. Might want to try a different shop next time.

Yeah I was kinda surprised, but my fault for not asking for an estimate. hard to find a good shop; I'm sad that the guy I used for some jobs is closing shop and won't do inspections anymore. I'm tempted to flip my fleet for newer vehicles as it's too much of a pain to keep circulating cars at a shop and/or taking a day off from work to sit in a shop while work gets done.

So the weave is gone now. Today I was looking for an exhaust leak and found a very small crack in the bellow. Should I get this replaced? I'm not sure if this is double wall construction or what. I don't see any carbon buildup though, so I'm not sure if it's really bad or not.

camry_exhaust.jpg

The second picture shows a big crack going most of the way around, where the solid pipe joins the back of the bellows section. I would expect it to completely fall apart in a short time.

The second picture shows a big crack going most of the way around, where the solid pipe joins the back of the bellows section. I would expect it to completely fall apart in a short time.
I took a look another look and I am not sure what that is. It feels solid, so it may actually be a layer of metal. Like if the welding area was at least 2 layers of metal crimped together. I could not feel a crack; when I started the engine, I did not feel any exhaust.

Maybe not. There should be three foil layers. All three would need to crack for it to fall apart.
You're right, there is another layer in there. I pried at the crack in the bellows a bit, and there is a layer under that. So two more layers left to go?

Just another thing to keep an eye on, I guess.

Good point about feeling if there is exhaust coming out. I like to use parts up on the exhaust system.

The flex coupling sees a tough life (heat, vibration, poultice corrosion). Even the Inconel outer layer will only hold up for so long.

And it just failed inspection for it. :(

Shop isn't sure if they can weld in a new one, depends on how buggered up it is. Wouldn't be a problem--except if they have to replace the pipe it's $800 for a new pipe (as the cat is integrated). Bleh.

Not entire sure on how it is made up, but the outside has a metal weave wrapped around it. When that weave rots out, is the end nigh for the flexpipe?

I had mine replaced less than 2 years ago but while under the car yesterday I found a big chunk missing. Don't think it's leaking (it was obvious last time when it quit) but not sure if that is something else to prepare for.
It's just reinforcement, so it doesn't get all floppy, like some of the VW ones.

The VW 2.0T ones, are floppy, so when you pick it up, you have to be careful not to let the flex pipe flop down, which can damage it. The floppy downpipe also absorbs engine movement better.

Repaired. About $290. We'll see if this one lasts longer than 4 years, who knows if I will still have the car.

camry_flex.jpg

Back