Exhaust bolt question

Hi guys
I will be taking off my exhaust to install an aftermarket one. I have not played with exhaust in many years. I am installing an axle back exhaust.
My question is should I have the exhaust cold...warm..or hot to remove the bolts easier?

It's just two bolts to remove for the install.

Much appreciated
Stay safe
Thanks everyone.

I pre-treat the fasteners with liquid wrench or 1/2 acetone 1/2 Dexron to start. I also use 1/2" ratchet/breaker bar & a pipe extension for leverage,
the first tug tells you if it's going to turn into a fight....... but a nice easy pull from a long bar helps gauge how easy or difficult it'll be. I find the more horizontal nuts & studs(the stuff before the converters) let go easier than the vertical stuff that runs the length of the chassis. But that might be my imagination talking. The last exhaust I worked was those down pipe crazy springs VW put on four cylinder golfs & jettas to about 1991.
At least those don't rust up. : )

Cold. Soak the rusty bolts in WD-40 overnight before removal.

Clean and then soak the bolts, nuts, and any female threads in fresh motor oil before installation.

Have new bolts on hand, they are very likely to break when you try to unscrew them. Which is fine, you just want it apart.

If it’s axle back, I would simply get new bolts and cut the old ones off with a die grinder. Faster. Simpler.

Back