Exciting New Engine Technology

Status
Not open for further replies.
i would not use the term "new" on this. i ran this by a friend who used to work for federal mogul in testing he said they have been tinkering with the designs of these for over 15 years. it is very interesting though. few moving parts, good power. how would you lube this thing though?

This looks like quite an improvement parts wise over the rotary engines.

As far as the new goes, my father-in-law in passing by said that Chrysler had a concept car in the '60's that had a turbine type of engine in it. Is this true or not?

Being that I love new technologies, I would be very curious to see this type of engine in the cars that we can drive. Does anybody remember or heard of the Rand-Cam engine a couple of years or so back? That was a unique design as well, using sliding vanes over a cam lobe type structure. Again this equaled few moving parts and good low rpm power.

Do keep us informed of this type of engine MolaKule!

It's neat looking, but like all such designs has too much sealing surface length versus volume.

It will be very difficult to overcome these issues.

Audi
rolleyes.gif
set a World Record for mpg in full-sized car going coast-to-coast on a single tank. Aluminum-bodied 5000 with a turbine engine. Circa 1990. I don't know the actual mpg figure.

Pandabear,
simple cycle turbines are hopelessly inefficient, and even moreso at zero load, when they can consume 20-30% of the full load fuel.

Add regenerators and intercooling, and cost goes through the roof.

Dad2leia - As far as the new goes, my father-in-law in passing by said that Chrysler had a concept car in the '60's that had a turbine type of engine in it. Is this true or not?

Yes, it is true. They had some in Chicago as a demo (4 IIRC).

All those links just make me think that something like this could be done if the pressure from us, the public was there demanding it.

Spin on I say!

gotta ask how much it would cost to make the engine. and if its too fuel effecent the oil company will kill this concept. but it is neat looking concept.

Notice that the Quasiturbine engine has none of the intricate parts of a typical piston engine. It has no crankshaft, valves, pistons, push rods, rockers or cams. And because the rotor blades "ride" on the carriages and wheels, there is little friction, which means oil and an oil pan are unnecessary.

Not quite so. Instead, we have a different bunch of intricate and precision parts and the rotors and all the pivots plus the rotor seals will still need lubication.

This engine is nothing more than a 4 rotor wankel engine.

Yes, it will offer lots of power in a small displacement. However, it will still have poor fuel efficiency/economy due to the fact that it has a higher combustion surface area:combustion volume ratio than a piston engine.

I think the Quasiturbine engine does have some serious challenges to overcome before it ever enjoys widespread adoption. Doesn't need oil? Uhh, apparently these people think we were born yesterday.

It's unfortunate that the information comes from howstuffworks.com. They used to be decent, but since Brain sold out, the place is overrun by spam, advertising, spyware, and so much useless and annoying crap that the original intention and feel is lost beneath 25 layers of popups and flashing advertisements. It had potential, but was squashed by profiteers in the end.

In the patent app. 6,899,075 (of 2005) it states:

quote:

This sealing problem was satisfactorily solved in patent U.S. Pat. No. 6,164,263 through a male-female pivot design overlapped by the carriage. Results of theoretical simulation and some experimental data revealed exceptional engine characteristics for the Quasiturbine device, and in particular the possibility of a shorter pressure pulse with a linear ramp compression-pressure raising-falling slope near top dead center.

Yep, they are still experimenting with it.
grin.gif

quote:

"Photo-detination", which was not illustrated there,

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/quasiturbine4.htm

On this page they explain photo-detonation (PD) in layman's terms.

In physics, PD refers to heat transfer through the gas by infrared energy ("photon energy") permeating the gas. Theoretically, this type of detonation produces a very high rate of energy release, I.E., very quick energy release and subsequently high temps and pressure.

Here is something that doesn't quite make sense:

quote:

Of course, the high pressure required for photo-detonation puts a significant amount of stress on the engine itself.

On this same page they show low-temperature, low emissions combustion supposedly via photo-detonation. According to the gas law and it's modified equations,

PV = nRT

so as pressure goes up, so does the Temperature. High temps produce NOx, so how can they claim low emissions unless this PD process allows the gas to cool quickly after ignition?

I would like to see a P-V cycle curve for this puppy. It seems to work on the Dual Cycle principle which is between the Otto and the diesel cycle.

What a load of you know what. This thing, if a working model is ever built is nothing more than a variation on the Wankel, proven to have lower efficiency than a conventional recipricating cylinder design. It has nothing to do with a turbine at all, except that it goes round and round.

"Photo-detination", which was not illustrated there, reminds me of the urban legend "Fish" carburator, that the oil companies "suppressed" in the 1940's, '50s, '60s. '70s, you pick the decade.

Inventor-hucksters will always be around.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back