excessive trailer hitch play.

Status
Not open for further replies.
i bought a used trailer a few weeks ago to haul quads to the desert and trash to the dump. there seems to be a lot of up and down movement where the trailer tongue goes onto the ball. both the ball and trailer are 2 inch.

i looked under the tongue and i dont see any adjustment. it cant come off but it sure does move around a lot. about an inch up and down. normal or not?

if its a bolt on coupler it would be easy enough to replace if you can't find an adjustment on it.

should be able to find one for 15 to 20 bucks brand new.

If you have an extra 2-5/16" ball around throw it on and see how it fits. If it latches into place I'd call it good.

Originally Posted By: Black_Thunder
if its a bolt on coupler it would be easy enough to replace if you can't find an adjustment on it.

its welded on and part of the whole tongue

Maybe go blacksmith on it? Heat up the tongue and hammer it tighter? On second thought, probably just grinding the old one off and getting a new one sounds like a better idea. I find the angle grinder fun anyway.

This...

a little play is normal but i would say an inch is way too much.

there isn't a nut underneath to adjust it at all?

...and this...

...NOT this!

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
If you have an extra 2-5/16" ball around throw it on and see how it fits. If it latches into place I'd call it good.

Last edited:
Get your money back. If not, take it to a trailer shop and have it repaired/welded correctly and move on. Or you can buy new.

In the unlikely event your defective/improperly repaired trailer injures or kills someone, you will get sued and you will lose.

Originally Posted By: Chris142

its welded on and part of the whole tongue

Originally Posted By: Oil Changer
...NOT this!

Originally Posted By: Nick1994

I think what he's saying is to try the 2 5/16 ball to see if it's really a 2 5/16 coupler and not a 2". Looks like the OP tried though, and the 2 5/16 ball doesn't fit.

Have you looked up inside the hitch itself? There should be a 3/4 inch nut you can tighten that will draw the "shoe" against the ball. You will need a deep well socket to do the job. The way I do it is to put the hitch over the ball and tighten the nut until the hitch just barely slips off the ball when released.

You can also buy replacement parts if necessary and swap out the guts of the hitch, (bolt, tension spring and top lever). They're not very expensive.

You can also buy the entire hitch set up at Harbor Freight for anywhere from 10 to 20 dollars, depending on the size of your drawbar. This can be welded or bolted in place, (I just did that myself on an old farm trailer I have - works great).

Good luck and congrats on your new trailer
smile.gif

you most likely need a 2 1/8 ball

2" balls were mostly used on very low capacity trailers
max 2000lb

2 1/8 on upto 6000lb or so

2 5/8 were for stout "bumper pulls"(vs gooseneck etc).. ie 10000lb

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Rand
you most likely need a 2 1/8 ball

2" balls were mostly used on very low capacity trailers
max 2000lb

2 1/8 on upto 6000lb or so

2 5/8 were for stout "bumper pulls"(vs gooseneck etc).. ie 10000lb

There's a lot of confusion here.

I have a 2" ball that is rated at 6000 pounds, which I use on the tow dolly that pulls the Town and Country. It is nothing special, it was a Reese brand that I grabbed at Wal-Mart.

The manual for the two dolly specified 2" ball with a 6000 pound capacity.

There is no 2 1/8" ball. There is 1 7/8", 2", and 2 5/16". Or at least according to Reese, who is a huge player in the industry.

http://www.reese-hitches.com/product_categories/hitch_balls

From how many decades ago is this 2000 pound number coming from? Or are you thinking about 1 7/8" ones?

Originally Posted By: Chris142
the hitch says to use a 2" ball and thats what i have. i bought it used as i cant afford a new trailer. ill have to get this one fixed.

Do you have a pic of the coupler? Most of them are one of a few different types and should be relatively easy to replace, and not too expensive. Most can either be welded or bolted on, so you may be able to cut the old one off and bolt the new one on. If the new one needs to be welded, you can probably find a place to do it for a reasonable price.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back