Exceptionally clean oil after usual OCI

Today i drained my 4 months old oil with 6k miles on it and usually it comes out brown and dark but this time it was still translucent with a nice amber color. I've seen 3k miles oil way worse than that. What has changed during this OCI and possible reasons:

- 75% highway, 25% country roads, no short trips or stop and go at all.
- Hypermiling and driving slower than usual on the highway, very light throttle input.
- Only used E85 over the OCI. Not even half a tank of unleaded this time.
- Shell Helix Ultra 5W40, low Noack, GTL.
- 2x half a quart of oil added during the OCI.
- Lots of italian tune ups + many short OCIs with various oils prior to this 6k OCI and the one before, possible cleaning action.

What do you think is the main reason? I am really impressed. I am too lazy to go dip something in the used oil and take a pic now cause i am in bed but maybe tomorrow.

Helix Ultra 5w40 would be the same as Pennzoil Euro 5w40 we get here I believe, that's got like all the major Euro approvals on it, it's meant for extended OCIs.

Highway miles....seems legit.

You could probably still use it for over 12,000 miles if you wanted to.

This is due to the use of E85, if I remember right, you opened a thread a few months ago about the use of E85 right? Usually here in Brazil in vehicles using E100 the oil color remains almost the same as it was when new. Much much less carbon on ethanol, much less carbon to be in oil, that is responsible for the dark brown color.

Here's what it looks like on one of my gf's fork.
IMG_20210408_162212.jpg

This is due to the use of E85, if I remember right, you opened a thread a few months ago about the use of E85 right? Usually here in Brazil in vehicles using E100 the oil color remains almost the same as it was when new. Much much less carbon on ethanol, much less carbon to be in oil, that is responsible for the dark brown color.
If TBN is not depleted quicker than with gas, i can only see reasons to extend intervals honestly.

And the UOA with insolubles and particle counts?

No E85 around here but wonder if produces less crud. Highway driving helps!
UOA is far too expensive here. It definitely produces less crud. I know a few neclected engines with zero sludge or varnish under the valve cover, i think it helps.

One or all of the following may apply:
  • Previous oil(s) did a good job.
  • Your engine is clean & running good.
  • Extend your oci another 500 miles.
  • gf may say use your own fork.

I wouldn't worry. You are doing fine and using good oil.

Maybe it will convince me to extend my OCI to the car's recommended 15 000 km if the same driving conditions apply in the next months. However i am not too pleased with the oil consumption. I pour 5L in when i do an oil change and it sits right in the middle of the dipstick. Had to ad 0.5L two times during the OCI and only 4.5L came out. That's a 1.5L oil consumption over 10 000 km. It leaks a bit and the undertray in coated as well as the bottom if the engine but it takes far less than 1.5L of oil to do that IMHO so i am a little bit concerned. I am just guessing but maybe the valve stem seals are starting to show their age, this is a classic on the M111 engine. Will see if the thicker Total 5W40 (14.8 cSt) slows it down compared to the thinner oils i used lately, repectively Shell Helix Ultra 5W30 (11.8 cSt) and Shell Helix Ultra 5W40 (12.9 cSt).

Do people who run E100 change their oil sooner or later than they would with gas? What is written on the owner's manuals of the cars sold in Brazil? Don't really understand why manufacturers say to cut OCI in half in the US when using E85 because to me it always seems like oil is in a better shape with E85. I just did two oil changes on cars that run just gas with OCIs similar to what i do and as always, the oil just feels more gritty between the fingers and more acid on the skin. Not very scientific but i'd like to understand why my real world experience is so consistently different than the common idea of "E85 destroys the oil, change twice as often just like your car's owner's manual tells you to".

Back