Excel Industires(Hustler/Big Dog) to be discontinued by B&Decker!

The word is, NO MORE "BIG DOG" MOWERS. They will honor the 10 year coverage on parts. Local dealer 2k+ off new mowers. I do not know if Hustler will be closing?
We are pleased to announce an agreement between Stanley Black & Decker and Excel Industries (former parent company of BigDog Mower Co.) has been finalized. We look forward to joining forces and collaborating with a company that shares our vision for the future in terms of innovation, advanced manufacturing, and overall growth.

Stanley Black & Decker Outdoor is poised to be a global leader of outdoor products and services. BigDog is proud to help them reach this goal.

They also bought much if all of MTD shares a bit ago, B&D investing in lawn care? Seems to be a dying business?(push to batteries)

I always looked to "Big Dog" mowers as a more conservative "Bad Boyz" alternative. lol.

They aren't as popular in my area, we mainly have ExMark and Scag, a few Hustler and Bobcat dealers also. I'm sure the push is for electric zero turns which, good luck to them.

They aren't as popular in my area, we mainly have ExMark and Scag, a few Hustler and Bobcat dealers also. I'm sure the push is for electric zero turns which, good luck to them.
They'll never be able to sell battery powered mowers to the commercial cutters, they just won't work for their purpose/usage. In order to be at-all useful the machines would have to carry a huge and very heavy battery pack. The turf damage such a heavy machine would cause would be unacceptable to the customers. Like you said, good luck to them (if they try).

E ZT's have a long row to hoe in the south, it will be many years before that's even half way feasible , they're just trying to keep the tree hugger population happy. They feel like they have to throw those ppl a bone.
That sucks about Big Dog mowers they were a pretty good mower for the money. B&D bought Excel over a year ago. My guess is Big Dog just didn't sell well enough for Excel to keep building two different lines.

Last edited:
Back