Excel Formula to Decide Winners of Pinewood Derby

Any Excel experts out there that can help me with a function/formula, that will assign winners based upon highest scores?

I am preparing for a Pinewood Derby for the young boys at church. I've put together a race schedule where each boy will get to race his car 6 times - 2 times on each of the 3 tracks. From each heat, the 1st place car will get 3 points, 2nd place gets 2 points, and 3rd place gets 1 point.

The scoring spreadsheet that I've put together has a row that will tally and display each car's total score. I would like a formula that will take the results of that column, and assign 1st place to the highest score, 2nd place to the next highest, etc. Anyone recommend what function I want to use?

The sort function will do it.

Perhaps I don't fully understand the Sort function. But when I have used Sort, it will take several values that are in random order, and sort them by value, lowest to highest, or highest to lowest. That isn't exactly what I'm trying to do.

I want to take the highest value in a row, and have it given the value of 1 in another row. The next highest value in the row would be given the value of 2. And so forth. I don't think Sort can do that. Am I wrong?

I think a "pivot table" might be what you are after:

You don't want to disruptively (re-)order your data; you need to - in a separate function elsewhere on the same or an accompanying sheet - replicate it, weight it (3 points for 1st please, 2 for 2nd, etc.) and THEN sort it for display.

Ah! Yes, I recall working with pivot table before. You are correctly understanding what I'm doing. However, RANK.EQ also did what I need. Success.

Thank you for the help. I'm going to tinker with PivotTable to refresh myself on what it can do.

Back