Ex-Norwegian 787–8 models that entered service in 2013, retired after six years of flying

GON

$100 Site Donor 2024
Found this interesting, after six years of flying, these 787-8 are worth more in parts, than doing the heavy maintenance to make these wide-bodies airworthy.

The first airline-operated Boeing 787 dreamliners are set to be scrapped. They are ex-Norwegian 787–8 models that entered service in 2013 and are approaching a significant maintenance/engineering inspection, which essentially means they have more value as spare parts.
They have been sitting since September 2019 when Norwegian Longhual ceased flying them. The cost for a new airline to take these into fleet is prohibitive, being that they would need entirely new cabin fitouts, new paint and very extensive engineering rectifications.
Norwegian Long Haul was a division of Norwegian Air Shuttle that operated long-haul flights between Europe, Asia, and North America with an all-Boeing 787 Dreamliner fleet.
Norwegian Long Haul was registered in Dublin, Ireland, and was managed by parent company Norwegian Air Shuttle from its head office at Fornebu, Norway.
As the aircraft are not airworthy, it is anticipated the disassembly process will take place at Glasgow Prestwick Airport (PIK), Scotland, to the Irish owner
BOEING 787 - MSN 35305 LN-LNB
Serial number 35305 LN:112
Type 787-8
First flight date 03/08/2013
Seat configuration C32 Y259 Seat
Hex code 47C5C5
Engines 2 x RR Trent 1000
BOEING 787 - MSN 35304 LN-LNA
Serial number 35304 LN:102
Type 787-8
First flight date 13/06/2013
Seat configuration W32 Y259 Seat
Hex code 479A4D
333743107_2261805027540514_4996188422404767865_n.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Aircraft aren't meant to sit on the ground. I'm sure Astro could do a better job than me of explaining all the nuance, but performing the maintenance is just one step to getting them back to airworthy. You can't fully anticipate everything that will crop up when they get back into the air. For example, American Airlines' 777 fleet had issues with windshields cracking at altitude. They couldn't figure out why until they discovered that, while sitting on the ground during Covid, the sealant around the windshields were drying out and cracking, allowing moisture intrusion and causing the windshields to crack. After sitting for the better part of 4 years, and with Norwegian's route structure having changed, I'm not surprised that those aircraft would be worth more parted out then dealing with the headache of trying to get them back in service reliably.

Edit: Just discovered that Norwegian Airline has declared bankruptcy. Makes a lot of sense now, trying to move assets off their books with as little investment into those assets as possible.

The accountants gotta do what the accountants gotta do. I don't blame them. The math wasn't in favor in keeping them and putting forth the money needed to make profit out of.

Found this interesting, after six years of flying, these 787-8 are worth more in parts, than doing the heavy maintenance to make these wide-bodies airworthy.

The first airline-operated Boeing 787 dreamliners are set to be scrapped. They are ex-Norwegian 787–8 models that entered service in 2013 and are approaching a significant maintenance/engineering inspection, which essentially means they have more value as spare parts.
They have been sitting since September 2019 when Norwegian Longhual ceased flying them. The cost for a new airline to take these into fleet is prohibitive, being that they would need entirely new cabin fitouts, new paint and very extensive engineering rectifications.
Norwegian Long Haul was a division of Norwegian Air Shuttle that operated long-haul flights between Europe, Asia, and North America with an all-Boeing 787 Dreamliner fleet.
Norwegian Long Haul was registered in Dublin, Ireland, and was managed by parent company Norwegian Air Shuttle from its head office at Fornebu, Norway.
As the aircraft are not airworthy, it is anticipated the disassembly process will take place at Glasgow Prestwick Airport (PIK), Scotland, to the Irish owner
BOEING 787 - MSN 35305 LN-LNB
Serial number 35305 LN:112
Type 787-8
First flight date 03/08/2013
Seat configuration C32 Y259 Seat
Hex code 47C5C5
BOEING 787 - MSN 35304 LN-LNA
Serial number 35304 LN:102
Type 787-8
First flight date 13/06/2013
Seat configuration W32 Y259 Seat
Hex code 479A4D
View attachment 143226
I’m going to Norway transatlantic in a few days but have to fly the wrong way and back for 6-7 hours of the trip …
Not an easy route …

• Wow
Reactions: GON
I’m going to Norway transatlantic in a few days but have to fly the wrong way and back for 6-7 hours of the trip …
Not an easy route …
I am sure you are a Star Alliance member- too bad, you could take the Finnair flight from ORD or JFK to Norway.......connect through HEL

That was the plane of friend a 787 pilot who likely is on permanent medical leave fighting brain issues. Sad she worked so hard .

I find it very hard to believe that those planes have nothing but scrap value. The article did not make a coherent case. Airliners can be cash cows, their value is in long term, continuous income. Those are new enough to be worth using for the next 30 years.

I find it very hard to believe that those planes have nothing but scrap value. The article did not make a coherent case. Airliners can be cash cows, their value is in long term, continuous income. Those are new enough to be worth using for the next 30 years.
CUJ,

I was really shocked the 787 being parted out for scrap. I (wrongly) would have thought the fuel efficiency the composite fuselage provides would be more than enough reason to keep those 787 in the air.

I type this as I am looking at two permanently parked Airbus A380s that are fully functional and likely to never fly again. I know a completely different problem set between the four-engine fuel sucking A380 and the two-engine fuel sipping 787.

Norwegian went into bankruptcy. Bankruptcy creates obvious cash-flow issues, which likely means the airframes in their possession were limped-along until no longer in flyable condition. The Russian airlines flying Boeing & Airbus A/C are going through similar issues, for obviously different reasons.

If the A/C had up-to-date SBs performed on the Flight Controls, Air Management Systems, Electrical Distribution System, Common Core System, etc., and they still had their engines, well, another 787 operator would have certainly taken them up.

Sad to see. I flew on these a few times. Norwegian's low prices put pressure on other airlines' pricing. Competition down, prices up. ☹️

Sad to see. I flew on these a few times. Norwegian's low prices put pressure on other airlines' pricing. Competition down, prices up. ☹️
… and there’s not much else low priced in Norway … hard thing to pull off …

Back