EV's may be too heavy for old parking garages

A dual model Tesla three weighs 4,000ish pounds with a dual motor.

What's an F150 weigh? HINT-More than that.

Have you seen how parking structures are built HERE-lots and lots of concrete and steel.

CLICKBAIT THREAD

Last edited:
For reference, the Tesla model 3 referenced in that article weighs about 2000lbs less than a Cadillac Escalade. I don't think vehicles the size and weight of a Cadillac Escalade are very common in the UK, unlike here.

how many escalades fit on a floor vs how many model3 on that same floor? how much does an F-150 lightning weigh vs a regular F-150? The escalade equivalents will go electric too, and they will be heavier than ICE counterparts.

They weren't talking about space, they were talking about weight.
If there are x amount of parking spaces, you get x number of Model 3s, or x number of Escalades (or a combination of the two). Total maximum quantity of vehicles parked in the available spaces is not a variable. If Escalades weigh more than Model 3s, the weight contributed by a garage full of Escalades is greater than that of a garage full of Model 3s; or if some Model 3s replace some Escalades, the overall weight of vehicles is reduced.

The OP acknowledged that the article was referencing the UK. Though we are predominantly North America based in this forum, we have members from all over the globe.

As for this statement: "... its just a matter of time until it gets to be a concern here too."
I would disagree. Our "older" parking garages were built at a time when the American cars were behemoth hunks of steel. As the massive sedans started to wane in popularity, they were usurped by massive SUV hunks of steel.
I doubt EVs pose any threat to parking facilites here in NA.

Per the International Building Code, parking structures are designed for a live load of 40 pounds per square ft of live load. The top level of a parking structure is designed for that plus the snow load – typically 54-60 psf of total live load for the roof level.

(The International Building Code is what applies in most of the USA. That it's "International" does not mean it applies outside of the USA).

Horses...and Courses...
Check out what a 50's 60's and 70's UK family car was versus US's...and imagine what trying to fit an F150 into a space that was designed for a Leyland Mini, Standard 8, or even the massive in the day SD/SE Rover...makes the argument valid for the UK, as does the crash standards.

I remember certain "conversations" gere back int eh day that my personal preference for Colorado styke family vehicles was purposely putting other road users in danger due to the mass versus a 2000 corolla...well that argument is here and now too.

I'm not anti EV...I'm pro sensibility...pro transition.
Rational current policy to me is PHEV, where your commute is covered by your electricity meter, and your road trip by a small, heavilly boosted IC engine, at 50MPG (tested average)...4 cars built with the same battery capacity and resource consumption arising as a pure EV whose range causes anxiety, but when the range is "solved", the reource consumption is huge.

There are so many issues which will have to be addressed as more EV's are on the road. Watch for higher road use taxes too.

Virginia has already increased the registration fees for vehicles that are too fuel efficient--and that includes some that are neither EVs nor hybrids.

What they're doing with this additional money is a mystery. The condition of Virginia's secondary roads is not very good.

Back