Evolution of Honda's oil filters and canditates for "dissection"

Status
Not open for further replies.
During last 25-30 years oil filters suffered a huge evolution and became smaller, sometimes too small. Honda's filters are not an exception and "Ukrainian Pride" looks really decent comparatively to newer ones. Finally I got a can opener from AircraftSpuce though not without an unpleasant experience (despite a special request to check the item prior to its shipment they shipped a damaged one) and will be pleased to contribute somehow to BITOG. Here are 5 filters:

1. Honda 15400-PH1-014 made by Toyo Roky, Japan somewhere in 90th
2. Nippon Max Filter 15400-PH1-F01/F02 (D-802) from Towa Co., Japan (?) purchased in 2001
3. Honda 15400-PH1-F03 made by Purflux, France from late 1990s to mid 2000s (actual sample was made in June 2004)
4. FRAM FPS3593A made in August 2016
5. Honda 15400-RBA-F01 made by Purflux, France in August 2017

I expect to cut open filters under numbers 3, 4 and 5 and picture will come. Number 6 is already dissected
grin2.gif

Height final.JPG

Tapping plates.JPG

014 (1).JPG

F02 (1).JPG

F03 (1).JPG

3593 (2).JPG

RBA (1).JPG

Ukrainian Pride .JPG

Last edited:
I just cut open Honda 15400-PH1-F03 made by Puflux. It turned out there had been still a lot of oil inside though it passed 3 months after the change of filter and I thought nearly all oil had already drained out. To my regret this was not a case and I had to fight against an oil spill like BP in the Gulf of Mexico.

Expecting issues with availability of good filters I purchased a box of 15400-PH1-F03 filters in2004 and this one is my second last filter. I decided to use my last two filters for two oil changes (about 15000 km in total) before I find a decent replacement for F03.

IMG_0156.JPG

IMG_0158.JPG

IMG_0159.JPG

IMG_0163.JPG

IMG_0165.JPG

IMG_0166.JPG

Originally Posted by eljefino
Is that fudge in the last picture?
20.gif

For Ukrainians a cured (salt) pork fat is a national addicting drug
grin2.gif

Last edited:
Honda 15400-RBA-F01 cut open. Later I will try to evaluate these two Purflux filters and report difference.

IMG_0168.JPG

IMG_0170.JPG

IMG_0172.JPG

IMG_0174.JPG

IMG_0175.JPG

IMG_0176.JPG

That ain't salo, this is mylo. Next time post some nice podcherevock. Haha, just messing with you. Batkivshiny pryvit!

Is it hard to get parts mailed to you from Western Europe or North America ? I personally would like to read of your experience getting parts from other countries.

Originally Posted by parshisa
That ain't salo, this is mylo. Next time post some nice podcherevock. Haha, just messing with you. Batkivshiny pryvit!

Obov'yazkovo, druzhe ! I understand you are messing with me. Belly becon was wonderful too, but it has gone first and this was kept for a dessert.
grin2.gif
11.gif

Lol dude, that last one has a filtering efficiency of "100% of Ukrainians older than 25" hahah

Not a problem at all. There's a decent amount of delivery companies which will mail your stuff for about $9 per kg from states

Originally Posted by rubberchicken
Is it hard to get parts mailed to you from Western Europe or North America ? I personally would like to read of your experience getting parts from other countries.

It's still easy to get parts from the US and Canada, but freight impacts a lot the final cost. There are 2-3 companies that have warehouses in the US and provide customers with international mail services including a virtual US address for customers' direct purchases. Customers may also order wanted goods through these companies. This offers buyers wider opportunities because not all shops ship to Ukraine. Besides, it's often cheaper, theft-free and you may forecast a delivery date: usually it takes 7-10 days from the date of delivery to the warehouse in the US. They charge $8.0-8.5/kg, but min. $4.0. Unfortunately last year the government decided to decrease tax-free limit from 150 Euro to 20 Euro (3-4 years ago the limit was 250 Euro). So, think in the near future this door will be nearly closed for shipments over 20 Euro because buyers will need to pay first 10% Import Duty and then 20% VAT from the total value.

As for EU, a limited number of shops ships to Ukraine and they are more numerous than those in the US. Interesting, but freight is always higher than total freight from the US. There is also a company that offers a virtual address in EU. Just one point: higher prices in EU make purchases there quite unattractive.

Last edited:
I wonder how they compare to the American versions. I remember various part numbers that I used for my 1995 Integra GS-R. One time I order a few from a Honda dealer selling online and got mostly ones made by FIltech (now Roki America) but one that was labelled as made by Honeywell (i.e. Fram). Of course Honeywell no longer has anything to do with Fram. One time I found a Honda dealer that had Toyo Roki filters for that application, and I got them 25% of their retail price for buying 4. I also went through a case of a dozen Wix filters for that application..

Originally Posted by SlavaB
those honda's filters are rusty

No, they are not. At least by visual inspection of inner side of filters this does not look like a rust. The tapping plate of Honda F03 (large) has a tiny strip closer to the edge that is most likely a rust, but think nothing critical. What you take for a corrosion is something that drained down by trickles from tapping plate side. Sprayed paint is visible on side walls, in particular, till about 30% with Honda F01 (small) and to about 50% with Honda F03 (large). Prior to painting steel canisters should be somehow cleaned. And better to be treated too. I don't know, but this could be signs of some kind of Parkerizing.

Originally Posted by y_p_w
I wonder how they compare to the American versions..

Believe Honda 15400-PH1-F03 from Purflux had more or less similar performance comparatively to Honda 15400-PR3-004/014 from Toyo Roky and they all were far better than actual stuff. Actual Honda 15400-RBA-F01 is a little bit better than its US counterparts in part of media size, but I didn't like quality of thread with samples I managed to keep in my hands. As for efficiency, Purflux filters typical efficiency is either 95% @27microns or 95% @35 microns. I would like F03 filters had 95% @27 microns because I used them 20 years, but you know well that not all dreams come true. Interesting that during last 1-2 years Purflux switched some of its aftermarket filters from 27 to 35 microns.

Originally Posted by SlavaB
Lol dude, that last one has a filtering efficiency of "100% of Ukrainians older than 25" hahah

lol.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back