Evinrude is done.

Most people dont like the sound of two strokes. I dont mind them but most families do not. Toss in their thirst for expensive two stroke oil, no thanks. They also were known to have injector pump issues. They run them so lean on oil that the slightest oiling issue melts down a cylinder. Warranty claims became so expensive for Evinrude. Also Evinrude 2 strokes were not light. They were just as heavy as a 4 stroke.

Most people dont like the sound of two strokes. I dont mind them but most families do not. Toss in their thirst for expensive two stroke oil, no thanks. They also were known to have injector pump issues. They run them so lean on oil that the slightest oiling issue melts down a cylinder. Warranty claims became so expensive for Evinrude. Also Evinrude 2 strokes were not light. They were just as heavy as a 4 stroke.
The four strokes are getting lighter for the horsepower produced, like this ad that says a 115 Yamaha is the lightest 115 by 25 lbs, now 377 lbs using multi-valve heads, however an old 115 HP two stroke was 359 lbs. YRMV.

C7719633-B26A-4516-AE48-C7322E26DB3D.png
2CFAD5EF-B086-4715-8F49-B4AC3186E87D.png

Most of the new 4 strokes are all about the same. Mercury, Nissan, Yamaha, Tohatsu, and several others are share a lot of the same internal
engine and drive components. I know the 40hp and under are about the same just different colors, decals, and hoods. The Evinrude E-Tech motors do no smoke much however they are still not as quiet as a 4 stroke Mercury or Yamaha. The old Evinrude/Johnson 2 stroke motors would run almost forever. At first the mixture was 100:1 then they changed it a few years later to 50:1. I remember fishing many years with my dads 18hp Evinrude and my dad had a 40 hp Evinrude with the push button shifter too. That boat was totally awesome and dependable. I really like my Mercury 115 hp 4 stroke and I can barely hear it run when idling.

As far as Im concerned, Evinrude died the day that they got bought out by BRP. The day that happened, it was nothing but Yamahas for me.
Why would that be? You against motors made in USA by Americans? BRP tried to save the brand, but people would rather by offshore made motors. BRP never made money of their purchase of OMC. Had to throw out millions of dollars of defective parts. COVID was the excuse, little did they know printing money would drive the market to all time high sales.

I saw references to it but Evinrude was dropped by BRP during the Covid commotion. The were the last guys to keep the two cycle high horsepower boat engine alive with the ETec. Those 300HP ETecs will be collector models.

Anyone still running a Evinrude?

View attachment 62087
I've got a 2012 40 Etec that I bought new and it has been 100% perfect. The fuel economy of this outboard is almost too good to believe, and it winterizes itself. I'm sad to see what has happened. I'll be keeping and running this one until I get too old to boat and fish.

Merc has only made the bigger motors in the US for a long time … smaller units = some other company made them …
Some of the super-charged Verado series cost what a basic sedan does 😳

Tohatsu makes "everyone's" outboard engine under 70hp I believe except for Honda. Honda makes all their own motors.

Tohatsu makes "everyone's" outboard engine under 70hp I believe except for Honda. Honda makes all their own motors.
Tohatsu 40 HP three cylinder 866cc.

Mercury 40 three cylinder 747cc and merc 40HP four cylinder 995cc.

I doubt that Tohatsu builds 3 separate 40's just for themselves & Merc. I didn't check any other brands against Tohatsu.

Tohatsu 40 HP three cylinder 866cc.

Mercury 40 three cylinder 747cc and merc 40HP four cylinder 995cc.

I doubt that Tohatsu builds 3 separate 40's just for themselves & Merc. I didn't check any other brands against Tohatsu.

I wouldn't be surprised if Merc makes their own 40. I think it was lower hp units that came from either Tohatsu or Suzuki.

It just makes me sad again to see the Etecs go. The 25, 30, 40, 50, and 60 Etecs are all outstanding outboards. Especially the 25 and 30. I think even the 15 is an Etec. But the 25 and 30 are just incredible fishing outboards.

But the 40 and it is great, too. Barely sips any gas. But it isn't quite as smooth as the 25/30, but it is just fine. Never a hiccup out of it. Fires right up even first crank after a long winter, every time.

Last edited:
I wouldn't be surprised if Merc makes their own 40. I think it was lower hp units that came from either Tohatsu or Suzuki.

It just makes me sad again to see the Etecs go. The 25, 30, 40, 50, and 60 Etecs are all outstanding outboards. Especially the 25 and 30. I think even the 15 is an Etec. But the 25 and 30 are just incredible fishing outboards.

But the 40 and it is great, too. Barely sips any gas. But it isn't quite as smooth as the 25/30, but it is just fine. Never a hiccup out of it. Fires right up even first crank after a long winter, every time.
I rented a boat with an etec 25 and trolled all day long. I couldn’t even tell if it had used any fuel and when it came time to go back to the dock it revved right up without the slightest bit of hesitation or smoke and zipped us home. I was amazed. Older 2 stroke outboards would foul up under those conditions and would need a bit of time to run up properly. That 25 convinced me to plunk a 60 horse twin (not to be confused with the H.O. 60hp triple) on my new fishing boat. I’ve trolled for days on end salmon fishing in the ocean with it and it never stumbles or skips a beat.

Its really bad for the marine industry that these won’t be developed any further.

I rented a boat with an etec 25 and trolled all day long. I couldn’t even tell if it had used any fuel and when it came time to go back to the dock it revved right up without the slightest bit of hesitation or smoke and zipped us home. I was amazed. Older 2 stroke outboards would foul up under those conditions and would need a bit of time to run up properly. That 25 convinced me to plunk a 60 horse twin (not to be confused with the H.O. 60hp triple) on my new fishing boat. I’ve trolled for days on end salmon fishing in the ocean with it and it never stumbles or skips a beat.

Its really bad for the marine industry that these won’t be developed any further.
Yep. They really do have superior technology. I wouldn't trade it for two 4 strokes! The hole shot with my 40 on my fishing boat is wicked fast! I'm like you, I troll all the time. My typical summer fishing day is to troll for 3 or 4 hours then pull kids around on the tube to reward them for their patience! Lol!

It just makes me sad again to see the Etecs go.

I agree wholeheartedly. The largest engines were a bit trouble prone but the smaller ones seemed to be pretty bulletproof. The end of an era no doubt.

I heard they have a Ski-Doo snowmobile with an E-tec that is a real hotrod. I don't know much about it but heard some snowmobile guys saying it was a very strong performer and that it was also very fuel efficient. Maybe that means they will still have some development, at least for non-outboard applications.

I heard they have a Ski-Doo snowmobile with an E-tec that is a real hotrod. I don't know much about it but heard some snowmobile guys saying it was a very strong performer and that it was also very fuel efficient. Maybe that means they will still have some development, at least for non-outboard applications.
Here you go. There are even Turbo E-TECs.

51A97A75-35C8-4783-99B8-49650C55C0B1.png

Only snow machines sadly. The etec sleds are absolute rockets no doubt. I would love to see this tech applied to the dirtbike/motorcycle world. KTM has a less sophisticated 2 stroke injection system now but it’s like an electric typewriter compared to a MacBook Pro.

Back