Ever use 100% autotrans fluid as an engine flush?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've done a 50:50 ATF/Diesel fuel flush many years ago. It was a severely sludged engine. It was the soft stuff and not the neo-tar like stuff that we see on some engines. Ran it for 15 minutes under no load at a decent high idle.

I'd never do it today ..but I doubt I'd find one or own one that bad to begin with. I'd surely never do it to another person's engine ........and really can't recommend it.

It's like saying that you managed to walk through a mine field and lived.

I've heard of people adding a quart of ATF to the oil to "clean." it out. I wouldn't dare do it, much less fill the crank case with 100% ATF. Transmission oil doesn't have the same properties and anti-wear additives as engine oil. I'm certain it would do more harm than good.

Last edited:
I wouldn't do it, stick to a flush, A-Rx or MMO. A full sump of ATF is to risky for me.

Originally Posted By: callbay
I have and was wondering if anyone else has and how it worked?

Thanks!

33.gif
where does this sort of stuff come from?

Originally Posted By: StevieC

Thanks!

33.gif

Why the 70's, young fella ...the 70's.

Originally Posted By: StevieC

Thanks!

33.gif

Good question, my guess is someone who knew someone, who knew someone, said it worked for someone they knew. Then someone else tried it, got lucky and passed it along to someone else.

I guess
21.gif

It happened to my friend's Typhoon on accident. He took it in for a power flush of the trans but the quickie lube place pulled the engine oil cooler lines instead. Within 2 days it had a fatal rod knock and that was when we found the trans fluid in the engine. Upon teardown it wasn't cleaner than normal but the cam, lifters, cylinders, everything was aweful.

Hahaha, Ive seen that one before. Great example.
Originally Posted By: BuickGN
It happened to my friend's Typhoon on accident. He took it in for a power flush of the trans but the quickie lube place pulled the engine oil cooler lines instead. Within 2 days it had a fatal rod knock and that was when we found the trans fluid in the engine. Upon teardown it wasn't cleaner than normal but the cam, lifters, cylinders, everything was aweful.

Woah! Did they pay for an engine?
57.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
I was not happy with a 1.5l Mitsubishi 12V engine the wrecker sold me - made quite a clattering noise, and the inside looked heavily varnished, even though the engine was powerful enough, and started right away...so...I drained 2 quarts of oil, and replaced with 2 quarts of kerosene, ran for 10 minutes with my foot very lightly on the throttle (in neutral, in the driveway). when i took my foot off the throttle, you could tell the engine was starved for lubrication, because the idle speed was dropping below normal.
After 10 minutes I drained out the mess, which was very black, and then replaced with 4 qt. of ATF, run for another 10 minutes, drain, again very very black, then fill with 4 qt of cheapo oil, run for 10 minutes, drain, this time oil comes out clean, and now replace filter and fill with 5w30 SM engine oil.

I would never do this again.

The engine ran exactly the same afterwards. I noticed it was using 1/2 qt oil per 1000 miles, but I don't know if that was something new, due to the "cleaning", or if that was the original condition. I might be a little of both, but this Mitsubishi is known to be a good little engine, and should not be using oil at the age that was claimed (60,000 miles). I suspect this engine was abused before it ended up in the scrap yard.

However, if you do want to do the full Monty, then you drain the entire crank case, replace with kerosene, run for 10 minutes, and then fill entire engine with kerosene, right to the top, and let sit overnight. In a.m. remove spark plugs, and crank over the engine several times. make sure to have the fire department on stand by when attempting this, because fuel will come rocketing out the engine as it is being turned over. then drain the whole works, replace with oil and new filter, and a week later drain oil again, and replace with fresh. Engine will now be "clean".

p.s. due to a collision, one of my Mitsubishi Colt had to be written off, so the "cleaned" engine ended up going to the scrap yard, and replaced with an engine with 30,000 miles on the clock, and I know the owner, engine not abused, does not use oil, and will not be punished with a "cleaning".

Captain Klink hit on what I was thinking as I read this thread, but that I would not run the mixture. Just fill the engine with whatever your choice cleaning fluid until it's coming out the top of the dipstick tube and let it sit for a long time at least overnight, then drain, fill with cheap oil and run 10 minutes at idle, drain again. If the oil comes out nasty, do another 10 minute flush with cheap oil. Then refill and go on with life.

With the fluid coming out the dipstick tube it wouldn't be cleaning the top of the engine only the bottom end an a bit that is left over up top that didn't flow down.
wink.gif

From what I've heard, ATF is a cruddy cleaner. It has way fewer detergents and additives than do engine oil... Why not use Auto-RX or Seafoam to clean out any sludge? Or easier, just run a good Detergent synthetic like Maxlife.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back