ever heard of OPTI-2 oils?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am looking for the best 2 cycle oil to run in a variety of engines at our cabin from outboard motors to chainsaws and small water pumps. I usually use Amsoil Sabre outboard and run that in everything. A family member has been using an oil called OPTI-2 and is suposed to be a great oil like Amsoil with the addition of a fuel stabilizer in it. I have never heard of this oil and before so I'd like to ask your opinions of it and if anyone has ever even heard of it? Should I switch or stick with Amsoil? Thanks much!

i have used it for about 20 years. plug fouling is a thing of the past, no smoke, never seized an engine, no need to decoke and leaves the internals very clean

it's not a synthetic, is good at 100:1 and i think the makers double your guarantee on new equipment when you use it

however, there are otners who wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot barge pole

I am one that won't touch it with a 10 foot pole. My friend and I both had some bad luck with it running in a power ice auger. The mix seemed to separate. I know people swear by it, but I could look in my gas can and see the oil in little globs instead of a nice even color. My had his engine seize up, but we can't prove it was the oil. He had run a tank or 2 through his before I told him about the separation that I was seeing. He looked in his gas and he also saw the same globs of oil and dumped it. A week later his engine seized. We were running 50:1 pre-measured packets, so we weren't running a wild 100:1 or anything. I am back to using Mobil 1 now and have had great results. I contacted Opti and they had a tech call me back within a day, but they couldn't explain what was happening. They said temperature shouldn't matter (it was about 10 degrees). I just figured its not worth using.

So long as you getting 2T oil that passes JASO FC and ISO-L-EGD specifications, IMHO there's not need to go with brand name such as Opti-2.

My friend who lives about 36 miles away sworn by it (he's a landscaper/gardener who mantains a lot of 2-cycle engines). On the other hand: I maintaing 2 1.2kW 2T genset for my home use and I've tried from Echo synthetic 2T oil from HOm-Depot to Esso EasyMix to Castrol Act-Evo 2T oil, all with excellent results (40:1 ratio). No plug fouling nor exhaust port charring, just good clean fun. And yeah, no smoke either.

I've been told that Mobil MX2T is good too but unfortunately, it's not readily avail here in beaverland.

How are your 2 cycle generators performing?

Temporary thread hi jack!
blush.gif

My 2cycle engines are running mighty fine with Castrol Act-Evo 2T oil (factory spec'ed 50:1 ratio, I'm currently running 40:1).

It's one of those Chinese made Eastern Tools TG1200 portable genset....good enough for emergency backup to run my fridge + servers.

Q.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back