Ever Filed a VA Claim?

Filed a VA claim last week. Gave the VA official an inventory of my ailments and she sent off for my medical records. She told me that some of my issues might be on the list of 'presumptive' claim items from service in the Gulf War. Previous interactions with the VA, college tuition stipend and two VA mortgages have been positive still I'm not hopeful of any success.

Any of you BITOG vets have experience with the VA?

VA.jpg

Yep. Documentation, documentation, documentation. You’ll need 3 major things: a diagnosis of an illness, record of an injury that is in line with causing that illness, and a “nexus” letter from a physician that says (pay attention here): “this illness/condition was MORE LIKELY THAN NOT caused by the service-connected episode.”

I took a fall between decks and landed flat on my tailbone on the carrier I was on, and it was fairly easy taking the complaints of back pain I have, the VA MRI of my train wreck lumbar & thoracic vertebrae, and having a doctor write that, yes, the 11 compressed discs were more likely than not caused by my service-related fall. It was a high enough rating that the VA now covers my medical care.

Do yourself a favor and read on vaclaimsinsider.com their plentiful blogs & useful info for assistance. Reach out to your county’s veterans service officer (VSO), as they are frequently vets themselves and can assist in making sure all needed info is in. ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS submit a fully-developed claim (FDC) to the VA; do NOT submit the claim and ask the VA to go dig up all the relevant records. It takes months to years that way, and they may not find all the relevant records to allow the rating official to award you the full amount.

IMO, unless you are extremely incapable of gathering your own info & following simple directions (the system is supposed to give benefit of the doubt to the veteran), do not sign up for VA Claims Insider’s premium plan. They require 50% of your award for a full year for their involved assistance (could be as high as $20k+ depending on your rating) for what you can likely do in about a week or so of your own time.

PM me if you’ve got specific questions & I’ll try to steer you to the right resources. Thank you for your service!

My Compa filled with the VA for various medical issues, took a while and lots of paperwork, goona need witnesses to verify and documentation, I had to send a copy of my DD214 to show we were stationed together in Guam and Viet Nam. ;)

Agree, Rev, but this is mainly to sort out medical issues that came because of or aggravated by service, and those that occur because of life after service. If a vet has record of nearly any issue/treatment while in (plantar fasciitis, sleep apnea, knee pain) it’s fairly straightforward. Any rating of I think 40% or more (single or combined) gives the vet access to free care & meds.

Yep. Documentation, documentation, documentation. You’ll need 3 major things: a diagnosis of an illness, record of an injury that is in line with causing that illness, and a “nexus” letter from a physician that says (pay attention here): “this illness/condition was MORE LIKELY THAN NOT caused by the service-connected episode.”

I took a fall between decks and landed flat on my tailbone on the carrier I was on, and it was fairly easy taking the complaints of back pain I have, the VA MRI of my train wreck lumbar & thoracic vertebrae, and having a doctor write that, yes, the 11 compressed discs were more likely than not caused by my service-related fall. It was a high enough rating that the VA now covers my medical care.

Do yourself a favor and read on vaclaimsinsider.com their plentiful blogs & useful info for assistance. Reach out to your county’s veterans service officer (VSO), as they are frequently vets themselves and can assist in making sure all needed info is in. ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS submit a fully-developed claim (FDC) to the VA; do NOT submit the claim and ask the VA to go dig up all the relevant records. It takes months to years that way, and they may not find all the relevant records to allow the rating official to award you the full amount.

IMO, unless you are extremely incapable of gathering your own info & following simple directions (the system is supposed to give benefit of the doubt to the veteran), do not sign up for VA Claims Insider’s premium plan. They require 50% of your award for a full year for their involved assistance (could be as high as $20k+ depending on your rating) for what you can likely do in about a week or so of your own time.

PM me if you’ve got specific questions & I’ll try to steer you to the right resources. Thank you for your service!

To piggyback off of this, the 3 needs to a claim are often called "Caluza's Triangle":

1. Current Diagnosis. (No diagnosis, no Service Connection.)
  2. In Service Event or Aggravation.
  3. Nexus (link- cause and effect- connection) or Doctor’s Statement close to: “The Veteran’s (current diagnosis) is at least as likely due to x Event in military service.”

Also, the VA disability goes off of chronicity. They don't approve acute claims, only chronic issues. So you might have sprained your ankle back in 1994 but if there's no issues today and you haven't been seen for it since, odds are you won't get it approved.

If you're filing a claim years after service but didn't go to sick call, you could have the first 2 elements but not the 3rd. Often times, your PCP's notes can help satisfy #3 but not always. Sometimes the C&P Examiner's medical opinion can satisfy it as well, but not always. When those two options fail, most veterans will seek the outside services of medical providers who can help write a nexus letter/IMO (independent medical opinion) as to why the veteran's claim is related to service or if filing as a secondary, how they are connected. The presumptive lists are nice because they take out the 3rd portion of the triangle, the VA is saying that your service is the nexus and it's presumed that your service caused that ailment/condition.

Very nice addition, tyman! TY for your service!

I’m currently working with my podiatrist & orthopedic surgeon to try to get the last 6% I need to get to 100%. Maybe could you PM me some of the ideas you used to get P&T, if your cumulative rating wasn’t 100% on its own? TY

Last edited:
Very nice addition, tyman! TY for your service!

I’m currently working with my podiatrist & orthopedic surgeon to try to get the last 6% I need to get to 100%. Maybe could you PM me some of the ideas you used to get P&T, if your cumulative rating wasn’t 100% on its own? TY
Yep, PM sent. My highest ratings are 50%ers. Just have a handful of issues and approved claims.

Back