Ever Disconnect Your Battery as Maintenance

Not really...

Though I do like to pull my battery out and bring it inside to charge it every 3-4 months. I don't have a garage and I don't have a extension cord. Only way to do it. But I don't mind it either. The alternator on my car like many does not recharge the battery like it should. Always having security running and other ECM functions running does slowly draw down battery charge status over time. I do take rather long 2-4 hour drives weekly and that does not do but so much good.

Scheduled battery charging is unnecessary as long as your modern Nissan's electrical system is serviceable. Put a tender on it if it's going to sit awhile without being driven, or disconnect it if that is not an option (a disconnected battery will hold a charge for a long time). Also, you seriously do not own an extension cord? There is no way that I would have that be the only Item that I lacked if a battery that is installed in a vehicle needed to be charged (in your case it's just recreational maintenance).

Also, you seriously do not own an extension cord?
Maybe he lives in an apartment complex and parks in a parking lot or at his home, he has to park on the street. Running an extension cord, even if he had one, might not be practical.

Scheduled battery charging is unnecessary as long as your modern Nissan's electrical system is serviceable. Put a tender on it if it's going to sit awhile without being driven, or disconnect it if that is not an option (a disconnected battery will hold a charge for a long time). Also, you seriously do not own an extension cord? There is no way that I would have that be the only Item that I lacked if a battery that is installed in a vehicle needed to be charged (in your case it's just recreational maintenance).

You are not right....

A typical alternator setup does truly recharge a flooded battery.... It just maintains it to 80-90 percent... Which will not help it last as long as it should if it were truly recharged to 100 percent... At least once in awhile.

It's ok not to charge a battery every so often... Just that one may not get as much longevity out of a typical flooded battery because of how typical charging algorithms are set up in almost all vehicles on the road today.

I'd rather charge it with a charger every couple of months... To get more out of it.

If you think your alternator charges truly to one hundred percent... That is just not remotely accurate. The newer systems do not recharge like they should do to "fuel economy" set up". Thus why battery warranty is shorter than ever because they realize that charging algorithms in newer vehicles are dead set against their longevity. Thus explains the 3 year maximum on most batteries sold now.

Only the massive and extremely well built and heavy thin plate pure lead AGMs have a 4-5 year free replacement warranty... Like the Northstar AGM built as the X-2 sold at Batteries Plus with a 5 year free replacement warranty. The group 24f version of their TPPL battery weighs 57 pounds... The other high end flooded group 24f batteries weigh 44 pounds. . A big big difference obviously.

And of course I don't have a extension cord... I live in a apartment... No need in one. Not hard to understand why that I don't have one. Zero need on a typical basis. And I'm not buying one that will reach my car to charge it.... I'm not lazy... I can carry a battery from the car into my place. It's not that hard. Really easy compared to free weight pressing 120 pounds over my head.

Last edited:
When I changed the battery in my 05 Silverado it kept the radio stations but lost the clock time. I thought that was weird. It idled a little funny for a few seconds as it relearned. Other than that it ran fine but I'd bet that it would get worse gas mileage for a short time after before it relearned everything it lost.

No, I don't do this regularly. The only time I disconnect the battery is when replacing the battery or when doing some kind of service that would warrant a battery disconnect.

Ever Disconnect Your Battery as Maintenance

Yes and with a good result.

I had a problem with a battery drain and I wasn't sure if it was a battery fault or something in the car wasn't going top sleep as it should. I disconnected the battery and monitored it over 24 hours. The battery was fine so it was a fault with the car. When I connected the battery back up the fault had gone. No problem disconnecting the battery on a Mercedes , the only thing I lost was the trip meter reading.

Back