Ever break a chainsaw chain?

Am I just lucky. Or is it rare? Ive had pinched a bar or 2 and stretched a chain so far I had to remove a link to get it to tighten up, But I've never had one break on me. Mostly the built up sawdust derails the chain. So when I read in the Bar Oil thread about chain breakage, I got to thinking..

I suggest that if you boke a chainsaw, you go on another forum called "Arboristsite.com". There's a section on repairs. Some knowledgeable guys on there that have been fixing chainsaws for a couple of lifetimes. Somebody will have an answer. Bet on it.

Chain saw fixing isn't the problem. I'm just curious if anybody has ever broken a chain. EVER! The other issue, I've never seen is a rotary mower "fling" a loose blade. Loose blades fall straight down. Chris, blow the bark off with air before cutting.

lets put things in perspective... chainsaw chains are way over-built for what they need to do. The average mid-sized homeowner saw might make 3.5 hp at 10,000 rpm which is right at 1.8 ft/lbs of torque. I wouldn't imagine torque would peak above 5 ft/lbs or so either.

They are very well lubed

It turns out you'll wear one out from sharpening and using them long before the links wear out enough to break

even pinching or hitting the brake doesn't slow the chain fast enough to create the kind of inertia it would take to break a chain

I haven't witnessed one break, but have had customers who the chain broke or derailed.

Most of them were the result of operator abuse/negligence.

Don't:
-Run the chain way too loose
-Run the bar/chain without oil until it overheats
-Run no-name cheap chains or the incorrect chain
-Run chains that are obviously bent or damaged

Only once did I break a chain. Of course it was borrowing a friends old logging saw. It was a big Jred with a 36" bar. I was bucking up an old power pole and it let go.

Worst I did to my little Husky 445 was knock the chain off the bar when cutting some garbage alders. Knew better but it needed to be cleared. Garbaged the chain and the bar.

I have seen (and used for few cuts until I really looked at the chain!) a chain that was worn so much on the bar side that the pins in a few teeth were riding on the bar... That one is ready to let loose just from a pin falling out....
Never broke a chain though. A 3/8 .58 chain is pretty strong on a 5hp saw even with severe kick back, but I guess there's a chance that the pin isn't installed correctly when the dealer makes up a loop for you.

Probably a bad chain because I've owned and abused 4 chainsaws over the past 2 decades on my farm that still has some wooded areas and I've never broken a chain.

I had hit a rock or something one time and switched to a Chi-Na backup chain. The master link let go. It didn't do much, just flopped around a bit. It was a waste of money so now all I carry are Oregon EXL's and Stihl RS's.

Back