Ever apologize for your poor driving?

I was going to Bass Pro Shop in Atlantic City and I accidentally turned the wrong way down a one way street. I immediately realized I was going in the wrong direction and turned perpendicular on the one way road to prepare to merge back on the road from where I came from. I was immediately honked at by a car on that road. No problem with that. I wouldn't have hit him but he didn't know that. As it turned out I followed him into the parking lot and we both entered the store at the same time not more than 3 minutes after the honking. I said to him, hey, sorry about that. He was confused so I said that I was the guy he honked at. He got a little defensive and it got a little weird with him justifying why he honked and that he didn't want a collision or any trouble.

Based on this encounter I don't think I'll repeat this experience.

I've waved a hand in apology a few times from inside my car, I think it got the point across well, as things didn't escalate.
The only time I've apologized in person is when I took a poor lady out trying a pass when in rwd when I thought I was in 4wd on a icy hwy... I went sideways and tapped the rear of her car, both cars spun, and ended up with on set of tires on the shoulder and one set in the ditch. It was -25C and I apologized for my dumb move and dug out the exhaust of her car from the snowbank while we waited for a tow and the police. She wasn't angry at all really, just glad we all weren't worse off. I wasn't speeding even in the middle of my passing move which I think she told the police as well, so I got a relatively small ticket and we both went on our way.

Yes, especially if I’m trying parallel park on a narrow street. I always wave and thank the people for waiting, as I do when someone lets me into flowing traffic.

I’m not sure what to signal, I’d like to own up to dumb moves, but usually its a fleeting moment and we’re done.

I was going to Bass Pro Shop in Atlantic City and I accidentally turned the wrong way down a one way street. I immediately realized I was going in the wrong direction and turned perpendicular on the one way road to prepare to merge back on the road from where I came from. I was immediately honked at by a car on that road. No problem with that. I wouldn't have hit him but he didn't know that. As it turned out I followed him into the parking lot and we both entered the store at the same time not more than 3 minutes after the honking. I said to him, hey, sorry about that. He was confused so I said that I was the guy he honked at. He got a little defensive and it got a little weird with him justifying why he honked and that he didn't want a collision or any trouble.

Based on this encounter I don't think I'll repeat this experience.
Atlantic City Bass Pro Shop? What are people hunting out there....other people?

Ever apologize for your poor driving?​

Only over and over to my navigator wife.

1641771117406.jpg

I think the older a person is, the more understanding they are and would be easier to apologize to.

I really don't get the opportunity to apologize because the encounter is so brief.
When someone 'accidently' cuts me off, it evens out for the people I cut off.

I'm the first to own up when I screw up, so I've given a few apologetic waves over the years to other drivers when something happened that shouldn't have. Nothing in person though.

Ever apologize for your poor driving?​

Only over and over to my navigator wife.

View attachment 83888
I was cruising home last night when my wife said “hey you’re speeding, cops like to hide here” and in the time it took me to ask “Why isn’t the radar detector plugged in?” I was getting pulled over.

Cop looked at her and said to me “I bet she’s already yelled at you” and she had the most smug look I’ve ever seen on her face. He took my stuff, came back a minute later and said “You’re in enough trouble judging by the look on her face so I’m just going to give you a verbal warning.” 😬

I was in a minor fender bender where it was clearly the other driver fault banging my rear but we stopped quick.

I did not admit fault but started conversation sorry we have to meet this way. It seemed to quell them down.

If anything like that ever arises, I usually put one hand up, like you are signaling for a stop, I also do this as an extra gesture at 4 way stop sign intersections.

I had someone mirror my every move on the road yesterday and when I finally slowed to let him pass.. yeah, part of me was wondering, if this is the part where you get shot. It was weird.

Back