Even Toyota (the manufacturer) is getting in on the "add-on" scam

It's just weird to see the manufacturer force useless crap on me I don't want. An ashtray? I don't even know anyone that smokes and even if I did I wouldn't let them smoke in my car. That rear bumper appliqué sure had me sold! It'll turn yellow and peel in 2 days of the AZ sun.
It's appears to be the distributor that's adding the items, not Toyota (the manufacturer).

While I'm all for all-weather mats, why make them mandatory? For all this "weather" we get all the time?

P.S., I get to go for a ride in the new Camry! :cool:

If a white one with the JBL option shows up....they won't let me special order.

Screenshot_20221007-230318.png

Last edited:
My 21 Pilot Elite (top trim model) came with 0 add-on optional accessories from the dealer, not even wheel locks.

There is an entire catalog of probably 100 things I can add like puddle lamps, vinyl graphics, various roof rack accessories, interior and exterior protection.

I went out and bought seat back protectors, running boards, a cargo tray, cargo bin dividers and a tailgate chrome trim molding at a discount from a local dealer.

That is your thank you for bailing them out in 2008.
So is "new" GM supposed to attempt to be profitable or supposed to be in perpetual servitude to taxpayers?

As for Toyota, yup, it's the regional distributor that adds the junk. My prius has a $69 "bumper applique" that's basically a semi-clear sticker on top of the rear bumper so I don't scrape it loading groceries through the hatch, and a few other geegaws. I told them I wasn't paying for them (in the before-times) and I didn't. Distribution of this stuff is seemingly random, and I legitimately believe outside the control of the dealers.

Does Arizona have a regional distributor?
No. Arizona is covered by Toyota Motor Sales, USA which is owned by Toyota Corporation. The only two independent Toyota regional distributors left in the US are Southeast Toyota and Gulf States Toyota, each of them operate in 5 states. Yes, both of them add many accessories to the vehicles that they ship to their dealers. BTW, Toyota does not like that these independent distributors are still in existence and have been trying to buy them back for many years.
Toyota is now installing quite a few of these accessories on their vehicles themselves so they can maximize their per-vehicle profit, just like the independent distributors, and in so doing, taking some profit away from the independent distributors. If the accessories are on the original manufacturer (or distributor) printed monroney label, then the vehicle came to the dealer that way. The dealers don't have any choice on taking these accessories. They just want the vehicles, as many as they can get any way they can get them. The ONLY way to get a Toyota without any of the accessories is by doing a special order. If a vehicle on a Toyota dealer's lot (or coming in) does not have any of these accessories, it was likely special ordered and not delivered to the ordering individual. Toyota is not the only company doing this.
The dealers are also free to add accessories at-will, and most do so. The dealer installed items will be on a separate "addendum" window sticker. The selling dealer can also require that you purchase some of their accessories, even when the vehicle is special ordered. You can vote with your wallet and not order the vehicle from them.

Last edited:
Its gonna get a lot worse, try buying a new GMC without the mandatory 3 yr connection plan tacked on it. Mark my word, GM is laying the groundwork for subscriptions on most if not all their vehicles. Its an ongoing revenue stream same as their Dexos and Dex cool licensing.

by doing a special order.
I was under the impression you couldn't special order consumer vehicles like you could decades ago, unless you are buying a Bentley or RR etc. So Toyota will make a car in the color combo / trim / accessories you want? Is there an extra charge for this? I don't think dealers would encourage this as they just want to move existing inventory.

I was under the impression you couldn't special order consumer vehicles like you could decades ago, unless you are buying a Bentley or RR etc. So Toyota will make a car in the color combo / trim / accessories you want? Is there an extra charge for this? I don't think dealers would encourage this as they just want to move existing inventory.
Within fixed boundaries, yes, you can now (and after Toyota started manufacturing vehicles in the US, always could) special order a US manufactured vehicle from Toyota if you are/were willing to wait. What I mean by boundaries is.. fixed color/interior combinations, for example, a model that only comes with a black interior can't be ordered with a grey or tan interior or a different exterior color than what Toyota offers on that specific model, and only the options that are available on that specific model. You are correct, dealers do not encourage special ordering under normal circumstances. For the past couple of years, normal circumstances have not existed, and the vast majority of vehicles have had to be ordered. Some 2023 Toyota models are already sold-out. Their Hybrids are selling like gangbusters. If Toyota could double their production on them, they could easily sell all of them.

Last edited:
You can’t special order a Toyota. You can have your dealer put your name on a list and they can use one of their allocations to try to grab an inbound car in the trim and color you want.

I'm for the direct to consumer sales. So much nonsense when you buy from a dealer. I'm pricing a Mavrick with the options I want, and every dealer in town only wants to sell a loaded Lariat for way over MSRP.

You can’t special order a Toyota. You can have your dealer put your name on a list and they can use one of their allocations to try to grab an inbound car in the trim and color you want.
Something must have changed in the last few years then. We were always able to special order US manufactured vehicles from Toyota at each of the 5 different Toyota dealers that I worked for. Having said that, we tried very hard not to place special orders. Special ordered vehicles do count against their allocation. The dealers will always try and sell you an incoming vehicle, even after you place a special order.
Since the Camry TRD is a limited production car, it may be a model that is excluded from being able to be special ordered.

Last edited:
In the pre-covid days you could just walk, say I'm not paying, take it off, and sometimes they wouldn't care. Maybe those days will come back unless manufacturers get smart and pivot to the Tesla model of pricing.
I don't think Tesla is any better than traditional car buying. Tesla just removes downgrades or changes items they feel necessary always claiming "improvement." You don't necessarily know what your're getting. Tesla just removed ultrasonic sensors and autopilot from model 3 and model y. It will be added at a "future " time.

Can't believe some are still hung up on this almost 15 years later......
I can't believe people think its OK for govco to give certain companies special deals but not others. You don't "get over" principles.

I however respect your right to have your own opinion, even though it seems you don't afford the same courtesy.

Forget JBL unless you want to wait forever. Chip shortage.
Anyway, DIY will yield better system.
This is correct. We have the JBL in our Rav, and its nice but not great. I don't regret getting it because we never upgrade our stereo's so its nice to have, but I wouldn't wait around for one either.

It's just weird to see the manufacturer force useless crap on me I don't want. An ashtray? I don't even know anyone that smokes and even if I did I wouldn't let them smoke in my car.
Well, it is an Ashtray/Coin Holder. You won't allow your passengers to smoke in your car, but maybe they'll feel compelled to put their loose change in it to help you pay for that groovy Ashtray/Coin Holder. Nick1994 wants a ride in the new Camry, he can be the first donor. :unsure: 🍻

I can't believe people think its OK for govco to give certain companies special deals but not others. You don't "get over" principles.

I however respect your right to have your own opinion, even though it seems you don't afford the same courtesy.

You have a right to your view. And I have a right to say it's ridiculous to hold on to something that's ancient history. You realize the Government gave billions during the last pandemic right? The airlines were big recipients. Or are you selective whom the government should give money to?
Quote-

"But here is exactly where the poor performance of airlines becomes a bigger deal than just a business failing to deliver quality service to the customer. Throughout the last two years, airlines received more than $50 billion in pandemic relief money."

-dated June 26, 20221

You have a right to your view. And I have a right to say it's ridiculous to hold on to something that's ancient history. You realize the Government gave billions during the last pandemic right? The airlines were big recipients. Or are you selective whom the government should give money to?
Quote-

"But here is exactly where the poor performance of airlines becomes a bigger deal than just a business failing to deliver quality service to the customer. Throughout the last two years, airlines received more than $50 billion in pandemic relief money."

-dated June 26, 20221
I could care less about the money. The GM bail out was special. They ran roughshod over state and federal law, expedited the bankruptcy through a federal court, used the fed to strong arm the bondholders, ignored the absolute priority rule which identifies which order creditors get paid in a bankruptcy to prioritize payments to the UAW - while simultaneously shunning other unions like the united electrical workers union, split the company in to "good GM" and "bad GM" and only allowed those with claims against GM to pursue them in a limited basis against bad GM while good GM retained the useful assets like manufacturing plants, then funded GM's IPO by taking preferred stock which they agreed not to sell until basically GM approved it.

It was the greatest government corporate shakedown in the history of our nation. You can't even begin to compare it to the pandemic relief, or airline loans, or even the banking bail outs, although I appreciate the highlights.

BTW, My comment to which you took such offense was a snide / sarcastic remark against a giant corporation I despise in response to another members disgust at GM"s current strong arm sales tactics - and was not directed at any individual on this board, unlike yours.

Back