Even Toyota (the manufacturer) is getting in on the "add-on" scam

dishdude

$100 Site Donor 2023
I'm mildly interested in a Camry TRD, after watching a review I was interested enough to reach out to the local dealer. 301hp, chassis bracing, decent MPG, a catback and some decent styling cues were enough to get me interested. Only 3 colors available and an upgraded infotech system that upgrades the standard 7" display to 9", adds JBL sound and the choice between summer and all season tires are the only options. I'd like a white one with the JBL upgrade and summer tires. (Tires wouldn't be a deal breaker). I get a text today that the dealer has 5 coming in, all are black with all seasons, no JBL upgrade and a host of crap no one wants. Look at this list of useless garbage no one wants. An ashtray?

ITM3fws.png

KAwC9kt.png

jLIzMCF.png

Eu7wdzp.png

With very few exception those "Add-Ons" are dealer installed.
Dealers play this game quite often. My Lexus had all kinds of crap
on it and I said to the dealer I'm not paying for those. I did not, dealer removed
those $$$ but all this was before the Covid problem.

TBH these all seem like normal add-ons every vehicle has as options in the accessories catalogue. Upgraded floor mats cost extra along with cargo net, sill panel and bumper appliques. First aid kits used to be free though, so get one for less on Amazon.

Does Arizona have a regional distributor? Here in the Southeast all Toyota's come in via Southeast Toyota - a master distributor relationship dating back to when Toyota first started exporting to the USA. They automatically add a bunch of crap at port of entry and all dealers have the same worthless add ons.

As mentioned those all look like dealer add ons.

Does Arizona have a regional distributor? Here in the Southeast all Toyota's come in via Southeast Toyota - a master distributor relationship dating back to when Toyota first started exporting to the USA. They automatically add a bunch of crap at port of entry and all dealers have the same worthless add ons.

Yes, I believe it is the distributor adding the trash on. This is not a dealer addon.

y29vRGo.png

Yes, I believe it is the distributor adding the trash on. This is not a dealer addon.

y29vRGo.png
So yep, that is the master distributor - not Toyota proper.

Depending on where the lines are drawn, the master distributor in the next zone may not have all that crap - you can check. However might not be worth the drive for $745.00.

Toyota in NorCal/SoCal adds on accessories that are popular - all Lexi here get a first aid kit and wheel locks. The Prius I recall also included a cargo net and a first aid kit when we bought it 12 years ago. Southeastern Toyota(owned by the same people who runs JM Lexus in Florida) and Gulf States Toyota are independent of Toyota Motor Sales, USA.

Now, if it was a “pro-pack” of edge moldings and a KARR alarm, that’s the dealer’s doing. SWDS is a plague.

In the pre-covid days you could just walk, say I'm not paying, take it off, and sometimes they wouldn't care. Maybe those days will come back unless manufacturers get smart and pivot to the Tesla model of pricing.

With very few exception those "Add-Ons" are dealer installed.
The dealer will install mud flaps, wheel covers/center caps, front license plate bracket, and any other accessories packed with the car when it arrives from the port or railhead. That’s part of the PDI the OE pays for(along with a tank of gas when the car is finally purchased).

Sometimes, the port or warehouse(like AWC) will install accessories that are included in that particular trim level that can’t be done at the factory.

Toyota in NorCal/SoCal adds on accessories that are popular - all Lexi here get a first aid kit and wheel locks. The Prius I recall also included a cargo net and a first aid kit when we bought it 12 years ago. Southeastern Toyota(owned by the same people who runs JM Lexus in Florida) and Gulf States Toyota are independent of Toyota Motor Sales, USA.

Now, if it was a “pro-pack” of edge moldings and a KARR alarm, that’s the dealer’s doing. SWDS is a plague.
I wished the port had installed running boards on my car. At least they installed the tow hitch package on my HiHy.

Now.... I have to buy running boards, and pay for labor to install them... which will cost more than having it port installed.

Those look like normal accessory prices. It could be door edge guards and anti theft stickers for $5000 instead of straight up added dealer profit.

It's just weird to see the manufacturer force useless crap on me I don't want. An ashtray? I don't even know anyone that smokes and even if I did I wouldn't let them smoke in my car. That rear bumper appliqué sure had me sold! It'll turn yellow and peel in 2 days of the AZ sun.

While I'm all for all-weather mats, why make them mandatory? For all this "weather" we get all the time?

P.S., I get to go for a ride in the new Camry! :cool:

While I'm all for all-weather mats, why make them mandatory? For all this "weather" we get all the time?

P.S., I get to go for a ride in the new Camry! :cool:
Despite just paying $67k for a Tahoe - still paid $500 for 3 row + cargo from WeatherTech …
The 3 row GM set was $400 back in 2017 - so a wash there …
Floor protection has indeed become a niche market …

Despite just paying $67k for a Tahoe - still paid $500 for 3 row + cargo from WeatherTech …
The 3 row GM set was $400 back in 2017 - so a wash there …
Floor protection has indeed become a niche market …

Fair enough...I don't want any of it but if a white one with the upgraded JBL system shows up I'm omw.

Not as bad as I thought.

I’ve seem Tacomas (truck I’m considering) with 2 to 3 grand of add one around here. And they still sell like hotcakes…

Back