Even too disposable a world for even me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
With ebay, online part stores, repair guide, and all those you tube video, there really isn't a need for repair man anymore. My wife is not going to miss work to wait for a repair man to show up and pay her $200 for a problem that I can fix for $20 or not worth fixing.

Parts are adapting to this as well. We no longer need to use exotic tools in many basic repair, the whole parts come in a module like those newer no solder under sink U bent, or motor and regulator assembly.

Originally Posted By: AcuraTech
At some point in the future this whole Wal Mart philosophy will collapse and we'll all be hosed, because there isn't an alternative anymore. The system is based on two things:

1. Petroleum supply is endless, and will always be cheap. Of course neither of those are true.

2. The US can continue running massive trade deficits with China without effect. This is also not true.

So hey, let's all head down to Wal Mart and get some more $1 bin stuff. Pretty soon manufacturing will be as dead as the dinosaurs in the US. Then everyone can sit in cubicles all day, and do jobs that could most likely be fully handled by a decent software program.

Or if you don't like cubicles you can work AT Wal-Mart. Who needs independently owned businesses when Wal-Mart has it all under one roof! (gas station, optometrist, pharmacist, clinic, tire store, hardware store, gun shop, sporting goods store, shoe store, grocery store, auto parts store, liquor store, and hair salon) I swear that I can smell desperation, servitude, and B.O. every time I walk into that place. (Which is as little as possible.)

Tell us how you really feel!
wink.gif

I agree 100% It would be an interesting study to analyze garbage from areas with a local walmart (or other chinese krhap store) and garbage from areas that don't. I'd bet there's far less plastic junk in garbage from non-big box store areas and less garbage overall.

Quote:
I agree 100% It would be an interesting study to analyze garbage from areas with a local walmart (or other chinese krhap store) and garbage from areas that don't.

Areas that don't? Where, the moon? Oh, Walmart moon store, coming soon!
banana2.gif

John

A slight victory, at Walmart even. I can't even remember how many different pills I am taking. One, Lisinopril, came 30 in a blister pack inside a plastic box, 1/2'' x 3 1/4'' x 6'' with a tab you hold down while pulling the blister pack out of it. There are 4 rows of 7 marked Mon-Sun plus 2 more. When I went to refill it, I asked if I could get the pills in a bottle. The answer was yes, but they didn't have them in stock and I would have to sign a form to get pills in non child proof packaging. If I understood the guy correctly, ALL my prescriptions will now come in adult friendly packaging. Not only will this grossly reduce the packaging for the Lisinopril, my church collects the the amber bottles for reuse somewhere. Mostly I have been contributing ones from the vet.

Walmart has gotten to be as big as they are by giving people what they want. It is not their fault some many people make bad decisions.

Note, I am a BITOG member. While I was there, I checked the oil aisle. Not the first quart of an 0W-X. Not in quarts, 5 quarts, or in any brand. Same is some other stores here.

Who needs independently owned businesses when Wal-Mart has it all under one roof! (gas station, optometrist, pharmacist, clinic, tire store, hardware store, gun shop, sporting goods store, shoe store, grocery store, auto parts store, liquor store, and hair salon) I swear that I can smell desperation, servitude, and B.O. every time I walk into that place. (Which is as little as possible.)

I was talking to my friend who lives in South Korea. He says he doesn't need a car over there because everything is under one roof. For example, a building with ten floors. one floor is the doctor's office, 2nd floor is the shopping center, 3rd floor is restaurants, etc.

I swear that I can smell desperation, servitude, and B.O. every time I walk into that place. (Which is as little as possible.)

At the end of the day my wal-mart has a "people smell" to it, which is why I make my trips there early morning, after they've cleaned.

I remember when the U.S. automakers had little competition. The value of the product they sold wasn't that good (Value=Price + Quality). They soon had some stiff competition and had to improve their produict. Without this competition the overall value purchased when buying a car today would not be there.

Wal-Mart is far from perfect. However, without Wal-Mart, the prices at ALL other retailers would be higher. The prices at ALL grocery stores would be higher. The access to luxury items for people in the lower income strata would not exist.

There's probaby a space for a retailer with goods at price slightly higher than Wal-Mart with better customer service and higher end goods. This is a small space and difficult to navigate.

Everyone can vote with their feet and wallets. Those seeking Utopia in this world would be wise just to wait for the next world.

Originally Posted By: GROUCHO MARX
I remember when the U.S. automakers had little competition. The value of the product they sold wasn't that good (Value=Price + Quality). They soon had some stiff competition and had to improve their produict. Without this competition the overall value purchased when buying a car today would not be there.

Wal-Mart is far from perfect. However, without Wal-Mart, the prices at ALL other retailers would be higher. The prices at ALL grocery stores would be higher. The access to luxury items for people in the lower income strata would not exist.

There's probaby a space for a retailer with goods at price slightly higher than Wal-Mart with better customer service and higher end goods. This is a small space and difficult to navigate.

Everyone can vote with their feet and wallets. Those seeking Utopia in this world would be wise just to wait for the next world.

Walmart does draw down prices a bit but it also draws down the quality of goods of competing stores. Some people are drawn to the low price points and seem to be content with khrap that lasts a fraction of the time of a quality product. Of course the walmart quality item is not worth repairing and not recycleable so off to the landfill it goes...
Oil from Africa goes to China to make some plastic junk, shipped to here, used for a couple months and then trashed, usually taking some rare or toxic metals with it... All for what? A kettle that costs $8 instead of $25 and will last 8 times as along?

I'm with Indy'. We've tipped the scale ..or maybe turned the corner. Overpowering mass production used to mean that leading edge tech just got sent down the line to the discount shelf. Something like last years Panasonic top line device being now produced by Gold Star and Matsushita moving on to the next evolution forward at the fairly stable top of the line price.

Now we've got a bigger divide. Now the state of the art is being offered in a knock off unreasonable facsimile. Not the former best quality. 65% of the quality for 50% of the cost. It has effected different sectors to various degrees ..but just about all of them are at WM.

Matsushita doesn't exist anymore.

They officially changed their name to Panasonic even in Japan.

Totally agree that we pay 50% for 65% of the quality of the former top teir stuff. The electronics industry has been decimated by this trend. The good stuff is dissapearing rapidly unless you have big, big dollars to spend. While mediocrity is the norm for the rest of us.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back