Even the mighty Porsche DI succumbs to deposits

Status
Not open for further replies.
2008 Cayenne DFI Intake Valve Deposits

Hoffman_001.jpg

Hoffman_002.jpg

Hoffman_003.jpg

Doug Hillary, what is your take and information on this?

Looks like your engine should really switch to filtered before it dies of Cancer...
LOL.gif

Wow I can't believe those pictures...
shocked2.gif

Great find! We need to do more to make people aware of this issue in any DI engine that has these problems. Rl_RS4 you are leading the way! Great work!

Haven't read all that site yet but the "use higher rpms" makes a lot of sense to me as a preventative measure. I have always believed that "lugging" an engine is bad for numerous reasons. The porsche flat 6, for example, loves to rev. and it seems to me that the garage queens that are taken out every once and a while to put around don't hold up as well as those that are redlined occasionally (after warming up of course).

In the 2.0 FSI world the heavier and slower EOS has had the most problems from what I have seen in terms of deposits. The average person buying that car is less likely to rev. it up IMO. Just an impression, no hard data to back that impression up. Also the DSG transmission, if left in "d" mode, is a short shift master. It's programming in "d" is designed to sip fuel. This may be contributing to the problem also. Note that in 's' mode it is the opposite, it shifts past the redline and lives in the upper rpm range.

I would think before anyone could give an opinion we would need to know a few things about this vehicle.

1. What were the driving conditions?
2. Is this Porsche maintained per Porsche recommendations?
3. What type of fuel was used and were there any additives used?

My opinion is that those valves look very similar to other DI engines with the exact same problem. f.e. a 2.0 FSI with 80k: Disgust!
4cylindervalves.jpg

Last edited:
Unfortunately, I don't know. It's passing around the porsche/vw forums like wildfire, but I cannot find the original postings.

Originally Posted By: Johnny
I would think before anyone could give an opinion we would need to know a few things about this vehicle.

And 4. What oil?

Soak it with seafoam or other solvent and mechanical removal has been the most commonly used "complete" clean up method I have seen. Cleaning via seafoam/other solvent as and "induction treatment" or sucked in via vacuum is what I have seen (and have done) as a more minor type of cleaning.

DIY here http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1383285&fpart=1

Best actual solution to me is to get rid of the PCV gunk coming into the intake completely. This is exactly what VW says would be a solution in their patent for the engine.

For example via a pcv bypass such as this: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...475#Post1463475

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Johnny

Originally Posted By: Pablo
And 4. What oil?

+1

In for more.

Originally Posted By: Art_Vandelay
How do they clean that up?

Pull the intake manifold
soak in solvent
blast with a walnut shell blaster
Clean the rest by hand

Takes about 1 hour per cylinder.

Originally Posted By: RI_RS4
Originally Posted By: Art_Vandelay
How do they clean that up?

Pull the intake manifold
soak in solvent
blast with a walnut shell blaster
Clean the rest by hand

Takes about 1 hour per cylinder.

After all of that they have to figure out how to stop that mess from coming back.

AD

Originally Posted By: Pablo
And 4. What oil?

Given it's a porsche, it's most like one of the "superior" Porsche Approved oils.

The article states a few things to help:

1. Drive using higher rpm's
2. do not overfill the oil
3. Use quality gas
4. Avoid alot of idling

I would use a high quality Syn oil also

Last edited:
Thanks guys. Wow I'm glad I have a Lincoln. The pictures at 2000 miles, after having been cleaned, are incredible. What a headache to maintain.

I would love to see if adding MMO or TCW3 to the gas would help slow that process down. If it were my ride I'd certainly give it a try.

AD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back