Even the mighty Porsche DI succumbs to deposits

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: RI_RS4
Originally Posted By: ericthepig
Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
The only data Pitzel has is his mega long 30,000 + mile oil change on Esso 0w-30 in a 3.1L V-6 n/a.

Elementary calculus - let t approach infinity and a lot of real world truth will be exposed.

Unless, of course, the system is non-linear.

Deposit formation and that which precipitates it sounds linear (at least in the exponents).

Originally Posted By: pitzel
Quote:

Prediction: New hot thing on BITOG will be now to "burn-in" motor oil on a beater car for 1k mile before draining and transferring it to the main car for real use.

Exactly! If contaminants such as dirt, underbody sand, etc. can be kept out, of course!

I'm sure someone will write up a complex filtering guide. I suspect probably involving coffee filters and/or shop towels. Perhaps the return of the ToiletPaper oil filter. Maybe a centrifuge (perhaps salad spinner for the cheapskates?) for the advanced users.

Last edited:

BUT, everything I just pointed out above is true in most all real world science - and I haven't seen data (on this thread) that would indicate Pitzel is patently wrong.

So you're calling the engine vendors, who are aggressively pushing for the API specs to have ever-increasingly reduced initial volatility (as measured by the NOACK test), wrong?

you have a hypothesis, but no actual science to back it up.

Well the NOACK volatility test is predictive of how much an oil will vapourize when actually placed in service in an engine. Where do you suppose the components of motor oil that are 'lost' when oil is placed into service end up? Into the PCV system, and ultimately, deposited onto those exhaust valves.

Quote:

You claim that if the oil were left it that the deposition rate would decrease. What do you base this on? Thus far NOACK volatility. However, NOACK volatility is measured on new, uncontaminated oil, not oil that has been fuel, ethanol and water diluted and degraded.

A chemical reaction, per se, does not occur between molecules of motor oil, and molecules of contaminants in such motor oil. If you dissolve one quart gasoline in one quart motor oil, you can, through the process of distillation, seperate the two components into their original constituents, ie: you're left with one quart gasoline, and one quart motor oil. The only exception to this is when you have combustion of the actual components, but this does not occur at the pressures and temperatures present in the crankcase.

As for water, and ethanol, these substances don't exist in motor oil, at engine operating temperatures, long enough to cause any harm (such as emulsification).

So what you're left with, in PCV vapour, is a mixture of blowby gases, and volatilized motor oil. Blowby gases, by definition, are gaseous combustion byproducts that don't cause much of any deposition (just look at the exhaust on a modern car -- there's extraordinarily little in terms of particulate matter deposited on exhaust components these days!). So what are you left with? Volatilized motor oil.

We know that new motor oil is much more volatile than motor oil that has been in service. So much of the solution revolves around ensuring that the oil that is in service has the lowest volatility possible.

If one keeps changing their oil every few thousand miles, this is just ensuring that the oil that's in their crankcase is as volatile as it possibly can be, creating exactly the problems as described in this thread.

Quote:

As a matter of fact, some of the RS4 engines in the UK that have had severe valve deposit issues had their oil changed per the manufacturers recommendation, with manufacturer recommend oil.

Maybe the manufacturer's recommendations are overly aggressive on oil changes. As we've discussed here extensively recommended OCI's are often not based on good science, but are rather, based on marketing or non-scientific criteria, good or bad.

So now you're changing your stance to fit the facts. First, the OCI is too short. Now you're saying it could be wrong and is too long.

As for ethanol and water in the oil, it does not all burn off, just as the fuel does not all burn off. The volatilization rate is dependent on the vapor pressure of each constituent. On Audi engines, we typically see fuel at the 1.5 to 2.5% level in the oil. We see KF water running from almost nothing to 2500 ppm, which would be about right, depending on the proportion of ethanol in the fuel. Ethanol is not measured, but most likely tracks water. At any given time there is 1% to 3-4% engine oil fuel contaminants being recycled through the pvc system.

Aromatic hydrocarbons from the fuels do interact with the oil in the combustion chamber, and do cause degradation when the reaction products are washed down the cylinder walls.

I agree that low volatility is a good thing. European engines often specify 0W-40 oils, which have just about the worst case volatility. That was specifically why we formulated RLI Biosyn at the high side of the 5W40 scale.

The other part of the chemical equation that you are missing are reported in TEOST testing. Unfortunately, very few manufacturers report their numbers. It's not just the fact that oil volatize, but whether or not it leaves behind deposits.

Originally Posted By: Anies
Basically the design of the engine is at fault here? I know the VW/Audi's had problems with sludge regardless of interval.

Apparently, most DI engine designs are at fault, since it is becoming an issue on models available in Europe that are not available here.

Pitzel, you either quoated the wrong text or you misunderstood my post.

I'm agreeing that high NOACK caused by overmaint. (if that indeed is a dynamic in motor oil) - that would be one more aggregate in the deposit issue. And no one (in this thread) has given any evidence that contradicts your statement. Yes, there's other variables at play in a DI engine, but if they're susceptible to deposits, then overmaint. might contribute.

The only data Pitzel has is his mega long 30,000 + mile oil change on Esso 0w-30 in a 3.1L V-6 n/a.

Elementary calculus - let t approach infinity and a lot of real world truth will be exposed.

Unless, of course, the system is non-linear.

Deposit formation and that which precipitates it sounds linear (at least in the exponents).

It's not ... since deposit formation rate increases as more material becomes deposited. It's always hardest to deposit on a clean shiny surface. Once the deposits are baked on, there is a much larger surface area for deposits to form, the disruption in air flow causes additional vapor to condense, and the disruption in air flow impacts the combustion process, causing more soot to be deposited on the valves during internal EGR.

Is the OEM aloof or trying to sneak it past their customers? Does this issue exist with diesel engines? They are all direct injection. Does this issue cause harm to the engine or performance? Are we a bunch of speculating interlopers?

Don't overlook the valve "seal" function and that some motor oil will also come in contact with the valve directly along with gasses though the PCV system so an oil additive may help if run all the time.

I'm not going to get into an oil war here, but TBN has been an issue on GC that has consistently prevented its use as a long drain (ie: 25k+ miles) oil. TBN's have always been low on GC.

OK. I thought you were going to say it wasn't even good for 15,000 miles like a Mobil 1 EP is. Hey 25,000 miles isn't too shabby.

I understand Pitzel's strategy here: let all the light hydrocarbons and volatile components of the oil burn off until you're left with thick tar for a lubricant. That way, nothing else can vaporize from the tar/caked sludge to contaminate the intake tract. BRILLIANT!
crazy2.gif

Yeah, basically the right idea, but an exxageration, of course; the oil would be condemned at the point where insolubles started to rise, and oxidation approached limits, as well as TBN/TAN. This would keep the sludge away..

As for the VW people who have experienced problems and have followed the manufacturer's recommendations -- just following the TDIclub forums, I see that there's been plenty of instances where dealers and quickie-lubes have substituted expensive $12+/quart European-spec oils, with cheap 5W-30 bulk dino. I'd want to see that the sheer incompetence/fraudster factor of unscrupulous dealers has been controlled for before coming to conclusions one way or the other.

Diesel engine intake valves operate at a lower temperature and are not as prone to deposit formation. GDI valves run much hotter, and in the "sweet spot" for deposit formation temperature.

When RS4 intake manifolds are removed, oil from the PVC system drips from the ports. The majority of oil is not coming from the valve seals.

So now you're changing your stance to fit the facts. First, the OCI is too short. Now you're saying it could be wrong and is too long.

I think the quoting got a little messed up up-thread. My position has been all along that overly frequent oil changes are a significantly contributing factor to these intake valve deposits.

Quote:

As for ethanol and water in the oil, it does not all burn off, just as the fuel does not all burn off. The volatilization rate is dependent on the vapor pressure of each constituent. On Audi engines, we typically see fuel at the 1.5 to 2.5% level in the oil. We see KF water running from almost nothing to 2500 ppm, which would be about right, depending on the proportion of ethanol in the fuel. Ethanol is not measured, but most likely tracks water. At any given time there is 1% to 3-4% engine oil fuel contaminants being recycled through the pvc system.

But do you believe that fuel or fuel byproducts are meaningful constituents of the deposits that are found in those intakes? Or does it, as I theorize, come back to volatized oil?

Quote:

Aromatic hydrocarbons from the fuels do interact with the oil in the combustion chamber, and do cause degradation when the reaction products are washed down the cylinder walls.

Does that create 'stuff' that ends up getting rejected by the oil and back into the intake through the PCV? Or are those components often just absorbed by the motor oil itself, or converted to soot which shows up as insolubles?

Quote:

I agree that low volatility is a good thing. European engines often specify 0W-40 oils, which have just about the worst case volatility. That was specifically why we formulated RLI Biosyn at the high side of the 5W40 scale.

At the expense of a small amount of start-up wear, essentially. But yeah, anything that can be done to keep lubricant volatility to a minimum is a good thing, especially since we now know that DI designs have such a significant vulnerability.

It's not ... since deposit formation rate increases as more material becomes deposited. It's always hardest to deposit on a clean shiny surface. Once the deposits are baked on, there is a much larger surface area for deposits to form, the disruption in air flow causes additional vapor to condense, and the disruption in air flow impacts the combustion process, causing more soot to be deposited on the valves during internal EGR.

True, but that would simply be non-linear (not non-linear in the exponents) - in which case a limit t->OO can give good info.

(the non-linear I was talking about was non-linear in the exponents - ie, a non-linear equation with non-linear exponents - that's where things get funky. but I'm not sure this would pertain to the variables in deposit formation issues.)

Long story short - if Pitzel is getting data from his long OCIs and hopefully journal reading that NOACK issues in fresh oil can increase deposits, then I might lean away from doing <=3k OCs on a DI engine.

Oh, it comes back ....

Pictures of cleaned RS4 valves

clean3.jpg

clean2.jpg

2000 miles after cleaning

IMG_2091.jpg

IMG_2050-1.jpg

IMG_2054.jpg

what oil was used after cleaning?

Originally Posted By: zoomzoom

what oil was used after cleaning?

I believe he used Fuchs Titan GT1 5W30, which is very similar to, or is, factory fill.

Last edited:
Don't overlook the fact that there is some nitrogen oxide blend produced in the exhaust of madern gasoline engines, even with EGR to control cobustion temps. Any blowby means some NOx is getting into the PCV system. The NOx material is EXTREMELY reactive ith organics and this is one of the reasons it contributes to smog. Running lean/stoiciometric in a DI engine will probably run mor NOx production. As this reacts with the oil vapors, particlarly where there may be some condensation occuring, it only seems logical that"gunk" (higher molecular weigth crud) will form.

So what to do?

1). Eliminate either the oil vapor or the NOx in the PCV system.
This is fundamentally what is suggested in posts above for the VW fix to the PCV system; keeps oil vapors out.

2). Find some additive for the oil that slowly vaporizes ON PURPOSE and can help control this. Perhaps adding MMO to the oil might help if the phenolic additive in MMO survives combustion.

3). Have an additive that is slowly blended into the PCV air stream that will keep the valves clean while driving.

If you want to see how reactive NOx is, just let a kerosene heater run in a room with white vinyl tile and little ventilation. In one heating season, the floor tiles will be ORANGE.

Originally Posted By: Art_Vandelay

OK. I thought you were going to say it wasn't even good for 15,000 miles like a Mobil 1 EP is. Hey 25,000 miles isn't too shabby.

I don't think I've seen a UOA where GC could survive 25k, TBN condemnation almost always being the issue. But from what I've read, its pretty much the best short-intermediate (ie: 7-12k mi) drain product on the market.

A slight additive package reformulation could place GC as a solid performer for long drains (ie: 20-40k mi) though, as the base oils themselves have quite the reputation for durability.

Originally Posted By: Boomer
If you want to see how reactive NOx is, just let a kerosene heater run in a room with white vinyl tile and little ventilation. In one heating season, the floor tiles will be ORANGE.

So we get a sample of that crud, and run it through a GC/MS, and look for nitrates (and olefins, ie: from the oil). Any scientists here??

Last edited:
Don't overlook the fact that there is some nitrogen oxide blend produced in the exhaust of madern gasoline engines, even with EGR to control cobustion temps. Any blowby means some NOx is getting into the PCV system. The NOx material is EXTREMELY reactive ith organics and this is one of the reasons it contributes to smog. Running lean/stoiciometric in a DI engine will probably run mor NOx production. As this reacts with the oil vapors, particlarly where there may be some condensation occuring, it only seems logical that"gunk" (higher molecular weigth crud) will form.

So what to do?

1). Eliminate either the oil vapor or the NOx in the PCV system.
This is fundamentally what is suggested in posts above for the VW fix to the PCV system; keeps oil vapors out.

2). Find some additive for the oil that slowly vaporizes ON PURPOSE and can help control this. Perhaps adding MMO to the oil might help if the phenolic additive in MMO survives combustion.

3). Have an additive that is slowly blended into the PCV air stream that will keep the valves clean while driving.

water injection would be another solution

So we get a sample of that crud, and run it through a GC/MS, and look for nitrates (and olefins, ie: from the oil). Any scientists here??

I do know that Audi has asked for deposit samples from a few service departments prior to cleaning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back