even new cars use oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
My focus has used about 1/8th quart of oil in about 2000 miles. Not really concerned but it does seem that using oil is becoming more common than it may have been a few years ago. It's kinda a bummer to see any new car use oil but I am still not concerned. Is it just thinner oils causing this or would higher compression and direct injection potentially Play a factor as well?

It's the rings still seating. The consumption should get better before it gets worse. This is why some people recommend breaking in engines hard and fast.

run the engine hard and dont always baby it the rings need to seat and have the carbon blown off.
Ever hear the saying that he loved that engine to death?

It's got 4000 miles on it. How long tI'll it's 100% broken in? I run it hard frequently to. Plenty of wot. 6000rpm shifts
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: WobblyElvis
GM [new car policy] does not consider oil consumption to be a problem until it uses more than a quart every 2,000 miles.

So does just about every car company.

Originally Posted By: ram_man
It's got 4000 miles on it. How long tI'll it's 100% broken in? I run it hard frequently to. Plenty of wot. 6000rpm shifts
smile.gif

Its probably already broken in then. Top it off and see if it has stopped.

Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek
Some have 1 qt per 1000 miles policy.

Which is insane. Some worn out engines don't even consume that much.

Originally Posted By: jeepman3071
Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek
Some have 1 qt per 1000 miles policy.

Which is insane. Some worn out engines don't even consume that much.

I know. They basically say: no warranty on piston rings whatsoever.

Then there were the early 2000s Chrysler 3.8L V6s that apparently had their rings installed incorrectly. Burned a quart over 3k off the lot.

I'd say for a new engine you're doing just fine. Keep tabs on it and do frequent oil changes for the first several thousand miles to get as much metal particles out as you can.

I know people claim that their cars burn no oil, but isn't impossible to burn NO oil? Rings aren't a 100% seal, a tiny amount of oil is left on the cylinder walls, right? Even if the dipstick still shows full couldn't contaminants be making up for the oil that was burned? Any way I don't know how you could measure an 1/8 qt of oil, and I certainly wouldn't think anything of it.

I had a new car that burned oil from day one til I got rid of the car 17 years later. By then, it was leaking too!
smile.gif

Once a year, I would just collect the(hardly used oil/500 miles) from my '80 Firebird listed below and use it as a topoff for this engine. This was enough for the whole year.

I still put on ~200K miles on this engine! Mostly cheap Frakenbrew oil and oil from the Firebird. The chassis rotted while the engine was still ticking!
laugh.gif

Last edited:
Consumption on a five year old vehicle?! To be honest I find that disgraceful, indicative of the worst kind of corner cutting by the manufacturer.

My 32 year old daily driver doesn't leak or drip or burn any, and I don't have to top up between OCIs. It really amazes me that people will accept such substandard products and continue to buy from the same marque..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back