even new cars use oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: ryster
My 2011 Hyundai Sonata, now with just about 61,000 miles on it, uses a quart of conventional 5w-20 every 1,000 miles. I just check it regularly and keep it topped off. Since it is still under the 10yr/100K powertrain warranty, the oil and filter get changed every 5,000 miles at the dealer. Helps officially record the service history just "in case".

So with this situation, do you think it's likely that the consumption would stop if you moved to a Xw-30 oil?

At 1 qt every 1000 miles with todays oils and engines I would say it is defective or something is damaged.

Could be the oil control rings are carboned up from short trips or something else.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
You mean you actually expect those piston rings to hold back 0W-20 ?

4500km on our new Forester using 0W-20 and there's no significant oil usage. It's down a couple of millimetres on the dipstick, but that's compared to when we collected it from the dealer and temperatures were 20C higher than today, so may well just be contracting due to the colder weather.

Of course the engine spends most of its time around 1200rpm, or 2000rpm on the highway, not up to the redline on every gear change.

My Accent holds the 0w20 pretty good. Burns less of that than the 5w30. highway rpms are 3500 or so.

My 2013 Silverado with the 5.3L has never used more than about 8 oz of oil in 7000 miles since I bought it new. But then, I did disable the AFM cylinder shutdown stuff within 24 hrs of bringing the new pickup home, and installed a oil catch can in the PCV line in the first 1000 miles. About half of the oil that gets "used" during the OCI is caught by the catch can. So in essence, the engine is only really "using' about 4 oz of oil in 7000 miles. I can live with that. For break in, I just ran it like I would run it throughout it's life cycle. It got it's first oil change at 1100 miles to get the factory stuff out and then got a fill of Schaeffer 9000 5w30 and has been on it ever since. Yeah, I know... it is not on the "official" dexos list of oils.

I'm at 36,600 miles on my focus. I just checked the oil the other day, with ~5500 miles on the current OCI, and it hasn't burned any noticeable amount of the 0W-20 I'm running. We'll see what it looks like when I change it at 8-10k.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back