EV Subsidies?

Like the “quote” … These people leave a mess everywhere they go - answer to no one
You familiar with what they did in Angola ?
Not specifically, but get the gist of your statement.

Not specifically, but get the gist of your statement.

Took oil off the market - did oil for infrastructure - filled Luanda with empty buildings they built with —— labor …
No cash in the economy - crashed the real estate market - then their corrupt partner splits town to become the largest land owner in Brazil - and where are they now and why ?
All while we worry about pronouns …

I mean, if you remove the quotes, Canada and the US probably have enough between them that they could be just fine.
Which I have been saying for 15 years … thought we’d do more after the new trade agreement - what happened?

This is why I mentioned affordability as a component of self sufficiency.

If we dont protect the middle eastern oil the global price skyrockets and we cant afford our own oil.

Electricity is the only way out of this trap.

Im with you on ditching subsidies - thing is for it to work - they all have to go overnight.

We do owe our vets.
No easy fix, that's for sure. Here's the rub, now they want to do away with gas stoves, gas heat, and oil heat. That means all electric, there's no way to fast track it. The metro NY area and L.I. has a hard time with electric now. Lets forget about the EV for a moment and just deal with converting all houses over to all electric, that in and of itself is a joke. Now add in the cars. My bet for all electric, 40-50 years, and a hell of a lot of push back. The transition has to be slow and steady, and imo thought out a lot better than it is being thought out.

No easy fix, that's for sure. Here's the rub, now they want to do away with gas stoves, gas heat, and oil heat. That means all electric, there's no way to fast track it. The metro NY area and L.I. has a hard time with electric now. Lets forget about the EV for a moment and just deal with converting all houses over to all electric, that in and of itself is a joke. Now add in the cars. My bet for all electric, 40-50 years, and a hell of a lot of push back. The transition has to be slow and steady, and imo thought out a lot better than it is being thought out.

I dont think "all electric" everything makes sense - trucks (even small ones) , trains, planes, heavy gear.

A combination that reduces petro dependance but lets us live affordably with our own (and friends) production would be closer to ideal.

We can manage to add whatever electricity we need - that is not insurmountable or even difficult.

Took oil off the market - did oil for infrastructure - filled Luanda with empty buildings they built with —— labor …
No cash in the economy - crashed the real estate market - then their corrupt partner splits town to become the largest land owner in Brazil - and where are they now and why ?
All while we worry about pronouns …

Even Elon Musk doesnt want oil to go away.

Oh nah man, we aren't going to talk about property, sales, gas, food, and fees. Get out of here with all that. Those are all CHOICES depending on how you spend or invest your money. We are talking about INCOME taxes, which is what these credits are about.
Just shows you only want to hear bs that makes your case look good.
Real taxation rates can be quite high on the poor.

Also That’s the thing, most of them aren’t choices.

My folks either paid the property tax or were homeless, they could not get approved for an apartment due to their income.

Wisconsin in -20F and homeless wasn’t an option.

My father broke his back, damaged his neck and tore his shoulder apart at work and randomly was paralyzed until he forced the insurance company to approve surgery which took years. He tried getting work but no one would hire a cripple.
The final decision and settlement took a decade, the only attorney who would take his case was kicked out of the hearing for incompetence and he had to represent himself. The state would not respond to applications for disability until after his hearing with insurance.
Judge found in his favor and he got a $30,000 settlement which attorney garnished until overturned but he was finally able to drive part time bus and get disability.

For me… Withholdings of my pay, I didn’t choose or have any input into them. They were avoidable while I worked a certain profession that no longer exists.

Fees, also not avoidable unless you are like my uncle and just do things illegally for decades.

Last edited:
No favorites here, s-can all subsidies, and let the market sort out what people want. My bet is EV sales would fall w/o them.
Then we are in agreement.
By the way, oil is sold on the world market. The oil extracted here is no different than our buds the Saudis. Whom we like to protect, right? They ain't exactly pulling carrots outta the ground.
If you want to talk subsidies, perhaps look at big oil profits and then tell me why you and I as tax payers subsidize them to the tune of about $20B annually.

I believe if people had information instead of talking points they just might feel a little different about things. You may also wanna see about any pending stuff about ending big oil subsidies. You might be surprised.

Then we are in agreement.
By the way, oil is sold on the world market. The oil extracted here is no different than our buds the Saudis. Whom we like to protect, right? They ain't exactly pulling carrots outta the ground.
If you want to talk subsidies, perhaps look at big oil profits and then tell me why you and I as tax payers subsidize them to the tune of about $20B annually.

I believe if people had information instead of talking points they just might feel a little different about things. You may also wanna see about any pending stuff about ending big oil subsidies. You might be surprised.
Like I said do away with all the subsidies, I'm not picking and choosing. Let the people decide what they want to buy, without taxpayer funded incentives. My bet will still be EV sales drop. They'll still sell, only less of them.

I dont think "all electric" everything makes sense - trucks (even small ones) , trains, planes, heavy gear.

A combination that reduces petro dependance but lets us live affordably with our own (and friends) production would be closer to ideal.

We can manage to add whatever electricity we need - that is not insurmountable or even difficult.

The sad thing is we'll do it on our own without mandates. The options are there, those that want it will, those that don't want it won't. There'll be enough diversification in that I think. Sure, electric cars are somewhat of a small part of the market now, but it's growing daily and even in my small town I see a few a day. I would have never thought we would. You could say the subsidies helped that and that is definitely possible, but it wasn't a mandate. I fail to see how there's anything wrong with what we're doing now. I really like the idea of daily driving an electric car and having some stupid powerful turbo toy in the garage when I'm looking for a different experience. I picture that car as some form of Porsche and since they've made it a business model to have small incremental changes over the years so that if you get in a 911 you know its a 911 I have a feeling they'd made them to the end of time if they could.

The Feds clarified the rules on Friday. Another thing is that it's a tax credit not a rebate.
Policymakers believe a subsidy will encourage adoption and help increase economies of scale so cheaper models can be built. The problem with the Corolla vs EV comparison is that an EV will perform exponentially better than a Corolla in every aspect but range. Performance has always been price dependent. The BEV because of its powertrain raised the floor.
For sourcing? I thought thats a WIP until March?

Why fund vehicles with already high margins and lower overall adoption rates? In addition this idea of performance, what does that mean for a corolla buyer?

Its like saying imagine if every Corolla had the GR Corolla powertrain package or some other HiPo powertrain, where 0-60 is now 1.7 vs 17.1 (hypothetical). Does that mean my battery will work longer, can I take it on long journeys with less time between tops ups or less time at every charge?

Dont get me wrong, BEV have raised the floor of performance, but I dont think that matters for a corolla buyer as much as it matters for saying a person moving from a luxury performance marque.

Like I said do away with all the subsidies, I'm not picking and choosing. Let the people decide what they want to buy, without taxpayer funded incentives. My bet will still be EV sales drop. They'll still sell, only less of them.

Agreed. Subsidy shouldn't be there. Market prices might adjust, but then that's on the manufacturer, instead of this hit a price point + subsidy to target buyers. It's not right.

Agreed. Subsidy shouldn't be there. Market prices might adjust, but then that's on the manufacturer, instead of this hit a price point + subsidy to target buyers. It's not right.
I wonder if Ford, GM and others could survice the EV market without help? Their margins are so low, they cannot compete on price.
Has anyone but Tesla made any money on their EV business?

I don't suppose there is any way to calculate the subsidies oil companies get, is there? In other words what would the price of a gallon of gas be if oil companies had to completely support every aspect of their business.

You guys keep moving the goal post. The EV subsidy is going to the end user and the manufacturer, the subsidy the oil company gets is going to the producer.
Send me $100 every month so I can lower my cost of fuel, that would a comparable subsidy.

Back