EV buying criteria - What's important to you?

It's gotta have a "MPH" charging indicator. 😂 😜
Oh yeah I agree. When I was at a demonstration over 10 years ago, I got to drive a Ford EV mockup that they had with a converted Transit Connect van. I got into it and let's just say my expectations were not high. I got inside, started it up and when I took off into the wide expanse of parking lot that Ford used as a test ground, BAM! I was thrown back in the seat like I was on a rocket ship! Mind you, this was nothing compared to what EV's are capable of now. Its very hard to explain if you have never experienced being in an EV. All I know is that I instantly became aware of how much ICE power is lost in a transmission. It just never occurred to me until that moment, but it just felt like a giant anchor had been removed and the acceleration was so impressive, I"m still impressed 10 years later. Naysayers honestly make some great points about the obstacles that lie ahead, but again, give them time to refine the batteries, battery materials, and resale amongst other teething problems. GM already has new battery chemistry that will lower cost and remove (some) of the toxic elements required for battery production. It wont' happen next week, but EV's will gain acceptance. Not because of Gov't mandates, but because they are so @@$#%^ fun to drive!!!!!!!! If you are not convinced, at least have an open mind until you've put your foot down on the pedal. And I'm saying this as a motor head and grandson of a lifelong Chevy mechanic who had ICE in his veins!!

That's a definite good idea Jeffkeryk. Now that Ford, GM, VW and others are taking off the gloves and going 'all in' on EVs, I have a feeling that Elon's remarkable (if eccentric) trailblazing will likely go the way of Mr. Tucker. Although, I would bet that Tesla survives as a brand and likely in a future context of EV racing or exotic EV sports cars. Bur for the mainstream masses, its hard to see Tesla carving out a chunk of car market share even as EV sales gradually but steadily climb. The last North American attempt at getting into the car business on a decent scale was Henry J. Kaiser and his partner Frazer. That brand has been gone a LONGGGGG time.
2 things
1) People have been saying the big boys would step in and knock out Tesla. GM, Porsche, Audi and more have failed miserably.
2) Tesla's market cap, aka their might. Ford has legacy cost issues that handcuff them and have to spread their limited resources over ICE and EV.

It will be interesting with more players in the EV space. The consumer is the winner. I wish the Mach-e good luck.

2 things
1) People have been saying the big boys would step in and knock out Tesla. GM, Porsche, Audi and more have failed miserably.
2) Tesla's market cap, aka their might. Ford has legacy cost issues that handcuff them and have to spread their limited resources over ICE and EV.

It will be interesting with more players in the EV space. The consumer is the winner. I wish the Mach-e good luck.
I don't think that the taycan is really a failure. It's Porsche's best selling car this year and is doing better that expected (esp considering covid)
I never saw it as a threat to Tesla as it's a completely different segment and buyer type.

I think the new, ahem, Mustang sales will be telling. It's arguably not as efficient as the tesla but one of its main selling points will be, it's not a tesla.

I think tesla has the foothold right now and is not going away. I do however think that their market dominance is going to lessen in the next decade. they will come down to earth as the bigger car companies add offerings that compete in teslas space. I think this is good for the EV buying consumer.

I don't think that the taycan is really a failure. It's Porsche's best selling car this year and is doing better that expected (esp considering covid)
I never saw it as a threat to Tesla as it's a completely different segment and buyer type.

I think the new, ahem, Mustang sales will be telling. It's arguably not as efficient as the tesla but one of its main selling points will be, it's not a tesla.

I think tesla has the foothold right now and is not going away. I do however think that their market dominance is going to lessen in the next decade. they will come down to earth as the bigger car companies add offerings that compete in teslas space. I think this is good for the EV buying consumer.
The drop dead gorgeous Taycan promised 400 mile range and super fast charging. It failed miserably.
Yes, it is Porsche's biggest selling car, but the pandemic changed all the rules.
The Tesla Roadster 2 will annihilate the Taycan. Heck, the Model S Plaid might even.
I give Porsche Audi huge credit for their efforts. Their EVs are beautiful, but from an EV standpoint, their results are not very good.

The drop dead gorgeous Taycan promised 400 mile range and super fast charging. It failed miserably.
Yes, it is Porsche's biggest selling car, but the pandemic changed all the rules.
The Tesla Roadster 2 will annihilate the Taycan. Heck, the Model S Plaid might even.
I give Porsche Audi huge credit for their efforts. Their EVs are beautiful, but from an EV standpoint, their results are not very good.
I know re: the range on the taycan failed but in this segment I maintain that does not matter. If it were a Porsche ICE car we would not be saying anything about the MPG. For example I drive my 981 because of how it drives, not for its fuel efficiency. If it were a commuter then my criteria would change.

Ninja edit:
Given I own so many P cars I want to make sure you know I am not defending them specifically. Personally I think 4 door P cars are an abomination :)

It missed both the range claim and the charge speed claim.

It's 800 volt architecture was supposed to blast from empty to full in just a few minutes, but gets beat by model 3 and Y

Despite its misses its an awesome vehicle. Like an electric 928.

I would very much like to see one in the garage, but somehow not pay the 100K price.

The Taycan is a fantastic car for a certain market. If I were gonna spend that much money, I would wait for the Roadster 2.
My guess is, I will wait for battery technology to evolve for a couple years. Then perhaps buy another EV. Dunno.
Right now I feel pretty fortunate to have the Model 3. The car is a blast.
I'm sure Taycan owners feel the same. And they should.

I’m sure this will attract EV car buyers.

The current EV options actually work fine for my needs and situation. My truck can serve as the long-distance vehicle (and it already does).
I rarely travel more than 200 miles per day and as long as I have a charging option at home, it is a non-issue.

The current EV options actually work fine for my needs and situation. My truck can serve as the long-distance vehicle (and it already does).
I rarely travel more than 200 miles per day and as long as I have a charging option at home, it is a non-issue.
In this scenario, you save time because you never go to a gas station. Or even look for 1...
And then there's the computer lane...
Michael, let's go get one of those M3P cars for you...

I thought brakes already lasted 100k? That's what I'm getting at the moment, although with rust jacking fears I wind up doing them every 5 years now, around that point it doesn't matter how much meat is left, they're showing problems.

With the pandemic changing life I've been thinking about this. Being home for 9 months already, and with the threat of this becoming the new normal, I'm wondering if my car selection is still correct.

I'm not sure what metric would get me into an EV. If I could only have one vehicle then I wouldn't have an EV, plain and simple. But if the wife is allowed to have a vehicle, and I can have two, then what? I think it'd have to be cheap and about 200 mile range. I live 54 miles from work so it's nothing for me to drive 100 miles in a day. It gets cold up here so it'd have to be more than 100 miles of range down to say 0F. Lastly, it'd have to be "easy" for me to add an outdoor charger, as my garage might be saved for the other car.

I'd view it as an economy thing, not "save the planet", so TCO comes into play. If I commute to work enough times, then an EV might make sense. If I no longer commute though... when do I go back to a single vehicle? and then can I live with a vehicle that isn't do-all?

Despite the fact that i hate the fact they named it the Mustang the Mach E seems really close to what i would like in a EV base don initial reviews - it still looks a little funky but it isn't terrible... I'd like a GT for Premium money of course.

The ID 4 is also nice though it is slower than i would like.

Both of them are steps in the right direction...

I've had the pleasure of piloting both a Tesla Model S (which I was underwhelmed with compared to the bimmer I owned) and owning, for about a month, an Audi e-tron, which my wife hated and I wasn't overly happy with the materials used on the seats and door panels and in retrospect, should have opted for the Luxury Package, which would have likely solved that issue (but not my wife's hatred of it).

As I remarked upon in the HUD thread, this is something that I consider very important in my next vehicle. I was very fond of the HUD in the Audi and wish my present vehicles had it.

I expect everybody's list includes range, but how much range is sufficient for you? The e-tron's 325km range was sufficient for probably 99% of my driving, including to the cottage, particularly since the grocery store in Gravenhurst now has car chargers.

The availability of real leather is also something that I require.

So, if you were buying an EV, what things would be a requirement for you in order for you to make the leap? Or if you are planning on buying an EV, what one and what were the criteria that resulted in you choosing it?
Quality/reliability (Can't be basement stuff like Tesla)
Range (600mi EPA highway or more)
Features: I like my HUD, heated/cooled seats, etc.
Price: I am not spending over $40K on something just to save money on fuel and oil changes. That makes no sense over its life span.

I've had the pleasure of piloting both a Tesla Model S (which I was underwhelmed with compared to the bimmer I owned) and owning, for about a month, an Audi e-tron, which my wife hated and I wasn't overly happy with the materials used on the seats and door panels and in retrospect, should have opted for the Luxury Package, which would have likely solved that issue (but not my wife's hatred of it).

As I remarked upon in the HUD thread, this is something that I consider very important in my next vehicle. I was very fond of the HUD in the Audi and wish my present vehicles had it.

I expect everybody's list includes range, but how much range is sufficient for you? The e-tron's 325km range was sufficient for probably 99% of my driving, including to the cottage, particularly since the grocery store in Gravenhurst now has car chargers.

The availability of real leather is also something that I require.

So, if you were buying an EV, what things would be a requirement for you in order for you to make the leap? Or if you are planning on buying an EV, what one and what were the criteria that resulted in you choosing it?
A new house and/or inductive charging.

Last edited:
Back